The final 30 days

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
lofaesofa
UNATCO

Post by lofaesofa »

Originally we did want to redo level textures and some were done a long, long time ago. It is something that we *may* revisit after we cover the models. Whilst we have tried to get many of the commonly seen objects in the game, there will still be a few notable absences which have not had our love (yet). This will mean that for the first release there will be some scenes which look rather odd with lovely new models and some of old ones.

Other goodness that comes with first release is that we will have our distribution covered for future releases, allowing us to better estimate the new file sizes. I expect that further work will get out to everyone more readily after this initial release.

Finally, speaking for all the team, we are all working our hardest to get this together for the end of September but remember, this is our first release. While we will do some testing ourselves, there might(probably) be a few bugs and problems along the way, so keep with us! It'll just keep getting better :)
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

lofaesofa wrote:Originally we did want to redo level textures and some were done a long, long time ago. It is something that we *may* revisit after we cover the models. Whilst we have tried to get many of the commonly seen objects in the game, there will still be a few notable absences which have not had our love (yet). This will mean that for the first release there will be some scenes which look rather odd with lovely new models and some of old ones.
I remember something about redoing Area 51 first, and in fact, some textures were done back then. I presume you still have them somewhere, but am I correct to assume they won't be released with the first release? (or anytime before the object models are complete)
Kyjibo
Thug

Post by Kyjibo »

Is the statue on the first mission a seperate object or is it built into the level? i guess what im asking is will the statue have a new model and texture in the release?
I beat the Internet
the end guy is hard
ZylonBane
UNATCO

Post by ZylonBane »

GGNNNGGGNGNGGGNGGG.....
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.
ThalesA7X
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by ThalesA7X »

the statue of liberty is a model that we could change. the only question is who will do it.

that statue is a big undertaking to make it look just right.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I've got the image panes already for the Statue. So modelers ur job is a little easier. (these are high res panes that i got lucky with google from :D)

I'll do the texture. I'm good with moldy metal :D
lofaesofa
UNATCO

Post by lofaesofa »

The statue will not be in the first release. I doubt it is something we will look at until we've finished all of the weapons and the character models.

We still have the Area 51 textures but they will not be released at the moment or any time in the near future. All we are releasing in September are the new deco (decoration) models, along with their new textures. Most of the main characters and the weapons will be released in the future. Quite a lot of the work has been shown in the forums. Whilst a fair amount of the older work, especially mine, has been improved since any screenshots were taken, it should give you an idea of what we are releasing. If all goes well this release should contain around 100 new models and their textures.

Please do not ask any more questions about what will be included in this release. Until we have finished our internal QA we couldn't say for sure anyway. Metche or myself intend to post a list as soon as we can, either on the forums or on the front page of the website.
Dominic_Denton
UNATCO

Post by Dominic_Denton »

I can't wait.
I've left the board.
JC
NSF

Post by JC »

EER wrote:
lofaesofa wrote:Originally we did want to redo level textures and some were done a long, long time ago. It is something that we *may* revisit after we cover the models. Whilst we have tried to get many of the commonly seen objects in the game, there will still be a few notable absences which have not had our love (yet). This will mean that for the first release there will be some scenes which look rather odd with lovely new models and some of old ones.
I remember something about redoing Area 51 first, and in fact, some textures were done back then. I presume you still have them somewhere, but am I correct to assume they won't be released with the first release? (or anytime before the object models are complete)
I remember now, I didn't realise this was dropped.

Something HDTP should 100% definately do if they are planning on continuing is putting down an advertisement in the credits/intro/download. If you want to do all textures you should definately do this. I would even challenge people to do better.

A texture I would really like to see done is the skyling on liberty island, that is extremely low quality and I think it would be great for it to be redone.

In fact, I think if all the skyboxes were redone it would make the game absolutely fantastic. Is this a possibility?
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

A texture I would really like to see done is the skyling on liberty island, that is extremely low quality and I think it would be great for it to be redone.
So far I haven't had a lot of luck fixing the NY Skyline, its bloody hard to find just the right photo of the real Skyline to use as a guide. If someone can find a great photo then i'd be happy to see it :D

If the team wants my image panes for Liberty just PM me or email me and i'll send you the files.
warman
UNATCO

Post by warman »

I just googled "NY Skyline. Are these any good?

Edit- Sorry the pics just lined up together and mucked up the page. I just fixed it. :oops:
evil_leprechaun
Thug

Post by evil_leprechaun »

they cant have the Twin Towers in them for two reasons:

1) They dont exist anymore

2) In the original there were no Twin Towers (one of the many prophicies Ion Storm put in DX)

ill try have a gander tommorow and see what i can find. at least its a way of making it seem like im doing something :D

EDIT

just found that. be brutal :D
"Do not go gently into that good night, Rage, rage against the dying of the light" - Dylan Thomas
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Okay firstly, yes you can use Pre-911 photos. Because we can just photoshop them out.

Secondly, the view has to be that shot from Liberty Island. I'm still trying to find a good one with High Res.

Warman, that 3rd one looks great, except its during the daytime. (Nice shot of battery park)

If worse comes to worse it can always be manualy created in Photoshop. I'm actually quite good with basic primative drawing like that with a cityscape so it probably wouldn't be too hard, so long as i had a good example to work off.

I'll look into it. Thanks Warman and EL.
JC
NSF

Post by JC »

e_l's image looks perfect to be honest. Or is there something important that I've missed?
warman
UNATCO

Post by warman »

Anytime Mr Cp. ;) 8)