HDTP Release #1 Discussion Thread

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Hostile_17
Thug

Post by Hostile_17 »

Solved that as well, load up the demo map in HDTP not vanilla Deus Ex and it works :D
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

evil_leprechaun wrote:hey, i am LOVIN the work :P hehe, breaking newly-modelled plants and boxes with a newly-modelled baton is so much fun :D but theres one problem i have. its when im opening the demo map. i did all the .ini config, and i start up, and i have the logo screen, with no menu, and i type in open la de de da da. then it quickly flashes "LOADING" which then dissapears, and then up comes the title menu. WTF!!! :P should i reinstall or does anyone have any other ideas??
""(***MAKE SURE TO START DEUS EX AND NOT HDTP OR THE MAP WILL NOT OPEN!!***)""

that's from the "how to access the demo map" text file, it didn't work in normal Deus ex, but it did work with HDTP so I guess that part of the file was wrong, or worded wrong?
Hostile_17
Thug

Post by Hostile_17 »

Sun In My Mouth wrote:
Hostile_17 wrote:The mod won't detect my graphics card for some reason. The default game detects it fine. Any ideas? :(
Having the same problems.

Add to that that the mod actually won't start. This is the error msg I get.

Code: Select all

Failed to enter DX.dx:

History: UGameEngine::Init <- XGameEngineExt::Init <- DDeuxExGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine
Try safe mode and untick all the boxes works for me :D (and its using my card)
JC
NSF

Post by JC »

Got it all working and wow, it looks amazing. The textures and models are fantastic, I just had a quick comparative test and it's really a cut above. As you have said in the introduction though the most striking difference is Gunther, he is insanely good. I want to play the game again just because of this new model and texture. I know you said you wanted to keep the essence of the game the same but this new Gunther adds so much difference but in a good way. It adds to his character so well.

Well done all involved, after seeing this Gunther I really look forward to the other characters.
Hostile_17
Thug

Post by Hostile_17 »

Not a big problem but my demo map on each stand its the new models x2 rather than the older one by its side for comparison.
Sun In My Mouth
Mole Person

Post by Sun In My Mouth »

Hostile_17 wrote:
Sun In My Mouth wrote:
Hostile_17 wrote:The mod won't detect my graphics card for some reason. The default game detects it fine. Any ideas? :(
Having the same problems.

Add to that that the mod actually won't start. This is the error msg I get.

Code: Select all

Failed to enter DX.dx:

History: UGameEngine::Init <- XGameEngineExt::Init <- DDeuxExGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine
Try safe mode and untick all the boxes works for me :D (and its using my card)
Yeah, I did that. Worked perfectly.
fub
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by fub »

i got some strange error about not finding state "deusex.computer.something.somethingelseoff"

trestkon advised me to reinstall deus ex, and i have yet to see if this works.
inACTIVE tnm graphical artist.
Jonas wrote:WHAT THE HELL KIND OF A NINJA-MOD IS THIS?!
evil_leprechaun
Thug

Post by evil_leprechaun »

metche, you lie......you made baby jesus cry!!!! you're suppoesed to open the HDTP executable, not the original DX one!!! and.....you almost made me cry :(
"Do not go gently into that good night, Rage, rage against the dying of the light" - Dylan Thomas
Hostile_17
Thug

Post by Hostile_17 »

Ok its really late here in the UK so im going to call it a night.

Having looked around the demo mod all I can say is the work you have all done is amazing! The models all look brilliant (my fav is the pinball table!).

I really can't wait to play DX again now :D

Constructive critisism... just a few small things that are all subjective.

1: I would agree about the Crow bar comment a little to shiny and round at the end.

2: The plant leafs (the 2 big ones in pots) could have their leafs a bit greener, it kinda looks like there dieing.

3: The snack machine glass and the effect it has on the "products" inside seems a little bit too faded and makes it look a little washed out.

Just really small things that are all subjective anyway. Once again congratulations the upgade in visual quality is excellent. You've all done alot more than I expected. Hopefully this release will drum even more support :D
VodunLoas
Thug

Post by VodunLoas »

When you load the map in regular DX its missing the HDTPanim.utx. Map loads in HDTP version, but it makes all the original objects the new ones, so there is 2 of the same thing. Just to let you know.
VodunLoas | DeusEx-Portal.com
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

JC_Helios wrote:
evil_leprechaun wrote:hey, i am LOVIN the work :P hehe, breaking newly-modelled plants and boxes with a newly-modelled baton is so much fun :D but theres one problem i have. its when im opening the demo map. i did all the .ini config, and i start up, and i have the logo screen, with no menu, and i type in open la de de da da. then it quickly flashes "LOADING" which then dissapears, and then up comes the title menu. WTF!!! :P should i reinstall or does anyone have any other ideas??
""(***MAKE SURE TO START DEUS EX AND NOT HDTP OR THE MAP WILL NOT OPEN!!***)""

that's from the "how to access the demo map" text file, it didn't work in normal Deus ex, but it did work with HDTP so I guess that part of the file was wrong, or worded wrong?
Go to C:\Deusex\HDTP\Textures and copy the "HDTPanim.utx" file, and paste it in C"\Deusex\Textures. The demo'll work under normal DX now. You have to open it under normal dx in order to see the old items with the new ones.
Oh, comments on the hdtp beta. :P
I really like the new details, like the corrosion on the poison barrels and the new trash barrel fire look. :P The wooden equiptment boxes look kinda plasticy and fake, though. I'd suggest making the woodgrain darker and more prominent, and making the box as a whole dirtier, like the original. I agree about the snack machines, the products are a little too faded.
Anyone else get a little slowdown when lots of the new stuff is onscreen? When I look across one of the rooms in the demo map, so lots of the new items are onscreen, my framerate takes a big hit. My video's kinda old, though (64 MB intel >_>). Nothing the hdtp team can fix, I know. :P
Last edited by Jetsetlemming on Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

VodunLoas wrote:When you load the map in regular DX its missing the HDTPanim.utx. Map loads in HDTP version, but it makes all the original objects the new ones, so there is 2 of the same thing. Just to let you know.
*EDIT*: DAMMIT! too late again :(

Thanks, I got the demo map working as it should with normal DX

1st:
copy the "HDTPanim.utx" that is in the directory/folder:

*letter of hard drive*:\DeusEx\HDTP\Textures

2nd:

Paste "HDTPanim.utx" into the directory/folder:

*letter of hard drive*:\DeusEx\Textures

then open 00_HDTP_demo with normal DX and it should work as it's supposed to.
Smoke39
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Smoke39 »

Most of the animations looked stiff to me (Gunther and the two weapons). And Gunther's mouth positions are weird. I think it might be too little jaw movement and cheek deformation. Not sure.

Crowbar shine is definitely off. Maybe darken the base texture, or dampen the enviro map.

Some vertices on the mailbox and inside one of the pots aren't welded together, which is throwing off the lighting.

Wicker basket texture could use more contrast. The dark areas are too light, and the texture looks really washed out.

Other than that, some stuff looks kinda awkward or cartoony. The trash cans (the outdoor metal ones, sometimes with, sometimes without lids) and wooden crates come to mind. I think part of the problem with the crates is DX's lighting system doesn't like them, and makes their edges look round.

Toilets could maybe use more water. Struck me as kinda shallow.

The pinball machine is cool. It was my favorite part.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Are you guys trying to open the demo map from within HDTP, or from vanilla dx? It needs to be opened from normal DX, or the model assignment won't work properly.
VodunLoas
Thug

Post by VodunLoas »

Well DDL it dosnt load from original DX because it says its missing HDTPanim.utx. But if you copy it to your textures folder, it will work. See?
VodunLoas | DeusEx-Portal.com