Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: GMDX (update: v6 released)

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Finally, the dart in the wall/sound event to distract AI trick (read: exploit) is sorted. Now they are far more unpredictable, but it's still lenient enough so distracting them with a sound event can be beneficial.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Right, GMDX6.1 will be released shortly and then I will be going on a hiatus for a while unless I can find people to join the team.
If not, no worries. Mission complete. It's Deus Ex on a new level that advances the original design.
Pongo
Mole Person

Post by Pongo »

Got a little bug...
I'm in Hong Kong, down in the Canal Tunnel and trying to get to the back entrance to Versalife. Unfortunately there is an invisible wall and can't get past the black van.
This didn't happen with GMDX v5.
Another thing. Used the loader which set up the game nicely. However not all the extra music files were included. This first showed up at Osgood's Warehouse - got an error message when entering the corridor which leads to the lift. Copied all the files from the separate music add-on pack I'd downloaded previously. Looked like maybe only a third of the tracks were installed.

Oh yes, something I noticed that occurs in v5 and v6. Leaping across the containers at the Airfield, there is an open sided one, with a crate in it. Entering this you can drop down to the container with the sniper on one of the ubiquitous office chairs. However when you get there, he disappears. In v5 he somehow reappears, but is seated again so easy to knock out. In v6 I presume he has snuck off for a fag or a Jimmy Riddle.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Pongo wrote:Got a little bug...
I'm in Hong Kong, down in the Canal Tunnel and trying to get to the back entrance to Versalife. Unfortunately there is an invisible wall and can't get past the black van.
This didn't happen with GMDX v5.
Another thing. Used the loader which set up the game nicely. However not all the extra music files were included. This first showed up at Osgood's Warehouse - got an error message when entering the corridor which leads to the lift. Copied all the files from the separate music add-on pack I'd downloaded previously. Looked like maybe only a third of the tracks were installed.
Yes, apologies. These are fixed in v6.1, which will be releasing tommorow/later today.
Oh yes, something I noticed that occurs in v5 and v6. Leaping across the containers at the Airfield, there is an open sided one, with a crate in it. Entering this you can drop down to the container with the sniper on one of the ubiquitous office chairs. However when you get there, he disappears. In v5 he somehow reappears, but is seated again so easy to knock out. In v6 I presume he has snuck off for a fag or a Jimmy Riddle.
No idea what happened here. On a related note, what the fuck was my reasoning for placing them in the chairs? Seems a bit silly. Sure, you can get a chair up there but I think I may have to remove them, or at least one of the chairs. It's definitely a questionable design decision.

Thanks for the feedback. When v6.1 is released you'll be able to install it over your current playthrough and continue without conflict.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

It's my birthday today and boy do I have a gift for you. GMDX v6.1 will be releasing later today!
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Well, no help here, but I managed to round up some testers elsewhere. Next version will be released soon. In the meantime, a video showing some improvements to the GEP remote guidance system and improvements to rocket effects: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebSZnMI ... e=youtu.be
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

I got around to improving the very low quality vanilla underworld tavern map: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HWA5XFt4ho#t=81
Not a massive improvement, but the map needed something.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Some pretty pictures.

bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Wait, is that ENB series? Please turn off the bump mapping, it's just plain bad. :/
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

bjorn98009_91 wrote:Wait, is that ENB series? Please turn off the bump mapping, it's just plain bad. :/
I think it looks pretty nice in some areas. Though the DX10 renderer is consistently better and provides a more subtle uplift to lighting and whatnot.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: GMDX Advancement Mod. v6.1 coming soon.

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Image #1: there was a whole lot of nothingness here before.
#2: Rooftop detail.
#3: Much needed structural support for the Superfreighter bay.

GMDX is now named a "Deus Ex Advancement mod". Why? It fixes bugs, but it's not solely a bug fix mod. It improves the game's visuals, but it's not a graphics mod. It improves audio design, but it's not a SFX mod. It improves the gameplay primarily, but does a whole lot more so it doesn't justify being labelled a gameplay mod. So, overhaul mod then? No. GMDX doesn't take the game apart and reconstruct it, it builds upon what is already there as very little was in need of removal. What GMDX does is seeks to advance Deus Ex's design as if the original developers spent more time on it.
GMDX in combination with HDTP and New Vision covers nearly every aspect of design. Prepare to experience the next level.
rdaneel
Thug

Post by rdaneel »

Hello Cybernetic Pig. I'm looking forward to the final version of GMDX. I really like the look of a lot of your enhancements and this is a great opportunity for me to get in a real hardcore play through whilst I continue to await Revision 1.0. Also I commend you for trying to make a real upgrade to the original while staying as pure as possible to the original. Your skill system and the game play enhancement through mapping seem to be real excellent in this regard (just from what I've read/seen in video). I am really looking forward to playing this once version 6 is out of beta. I would have to say that I pretty much like all the enhancements that I've read about. I think you have generally made all improvements and no detractors.

However, there are a few other changes that might make it even better / more perfecter. I wonder if you had thought of incorporating some of the nicer and more sophisticated enhancements from DX2.0 a.k.a. Human Renovation. I am thinking in particular of things like the improved code for circular weapon spread, although I know there are a myriad of other small bug fixes and tweaks that G-Flex had put into HuRen that don't change game play from the pure DX philosophy but that merely enhance or "advance" it.

Had you thought about taking a look at G-Flex's code and bringing in some or all of the nicer fixes that just subtly enhance game play and don't change it significantly?

Also, I thought G-Flex's approach to Spy Drone was a good compromise, as well as the way Spy Drone is handled in Biomod is a significant improvement. I notice you didn't change Spy Drone much, but it does seem like it needs to be made better for spying and less good as a guided EMP bomb - I personally put the vanilla Spy Drone in the "flaw/bug/exploit" category.

Thanks for your work on this. I, for one, appreciate you and everyone else that is still modding and improving my favorite game, probably the best game of all time.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

rdaneel wrote: I think you have generally made all improvements and no detractors.
;)
However, there are a few other changes that might make it even better / more perfecter. I wonder if you had thought of incorporating some of the nicer and more sophisticated enhancements from DX2.0 a.k.a. Human Renovation. I am thinking in particular of things like the improved code for circular weapon spread, although I know there are a myriad of other small bug fixes and tweaks that G-Flex had put into HuRen that don't change game play from the pure DX philosophy but that merely enhance or "advance" it.
GMDX features the occasional snippet of HuRen code: Range weapon mods actually work on the heavy weapons. Some bug fixes, and one or two other things. As for the circular weapon spread, whilst I'm sure it's an improvement the default workings are fine and it's not noticeable that it uses a square area. I'm pretty sure it was only discovered that DX doesn't use a circular system by observing the code. So whilst it may be a genuine improvement on paper no player is likely to notice it, correct me if I'm wrong.

To be honest though, there's more ideas from other mods/games (HuRen included) that would be beneficial in GMDX. My primary targets are rate of fire mods and mantling. Obviously these are not new concepts in design so I should feel no guilt if I decide to implement these systems in GMDX, though everything that is based on Shifter is open source anyway (thankfully). GMDX's unique code and other unique content will likely become open source in due time, just not yet. Not until I'm done at least because I'd like the mod to gain support before other people rip the unique content and put it in their own mods.
Also, I thought G-Flex's approach to Spy Drone was a good compromise, as well as the way Spy Drone is handled in Biomod is a significant improvement. I notice you didn't change Spy Drone much, but it does seem like it needs to be made better for spying and less good as a guided EMP bomb - I personally put the vanilla Spy Drone in the "flaw/bug/exploit" category.
Really? Because it's rival aug is pretty damn good too. Blowing up rockets and such. though that has received a nerf. Hmm, I'll have a think over these two.
Thanks for your work on this. I, for one, appreciate you and everyone else that is still modding and improving my favorite game, probably the best game of all time.
Yes, I hope the community never dies. Unfortunately it's not looking good. We still need an overhaul mod for NPCs!
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.