Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Re: GMDX Advancement Mod v6.1 Release

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

DDL wrote:Intersecting sheets isn't generally a problem unless your sheets are weird. Two flat sheets should intersect just fine (there's even a brush for exactly that). Solid, semisolid, non-solid: doesn't really make a difference.

As for HDTP trees, they are (as far as I know) speedtree outputs that were converted to .3ds format. Any lighting issues are almost certainly just the DX engine being shit at lighting (a problem I suspect affected the original trees, too: vanilla trees are set to bUnlit=true by default).

Yeah, just the two sheets shouldn't cause issues, sometimes strangeness can happen if a BSP cut goes through them or similar. Best to let all detail stuff just hover and don't touch anything.

It's where the branches touch the stem that's an issue, other then that the trees look fairly good (except the lighting, but that's what you get with vertex lighting), although you can combat this slightly with adding a scaleglow. Slight problem with the roots just popping up where vanilla positioning did not take that into account. But yeah, it's stilly how some maps had bUnlit=True.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Here are the new demo skill improvements in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcpMrYJ8EBs
rdaneel
Thug

Post by rdaneel »

Anyway, if more people take issue with the "grass" I'll remove it. Nobody had complained up 'till now though. It was a bit of an experiment though so I am definitely open to removing it. But hey, in this shot the "grass" looks better than the actual tree itself. I think I could maybe tweak the grass/vegetation a little more though, it does look bad in rdaneel's shot when it doesn't always look like that.
I certainly didn't mean to sound like I was complaining. I'm grateful for the work people are doing to update the game. I honestly thought it was a bug because I could tell it was either a tree or a bush that had sunk down into the ground.

But now that I get it's intentional, I'll "see" it that way.
rdaneel
Thug

Post by rdaneel »

Cybernetic Pig,

Some early feedback.

The new AI and upgraded bots are excellent. Challenging in a good way for both stealth and combat.

The significant nerfs to JC's starting stats with untrained skills make the game quite difficult indeed. Especially swimming and environmental, but also stealth and strength. It's a whole different game, that's for sure. You cannot do everything in one play-through and the game will punish you harshly if you try to deviate from your chosen skill set.

I notice the scope and binoculars scaling is not adjusted in 6.1. Any plans to add that? The tiny scope and binoculars at 1920x1080 is a drag. Or is this something I can fix with settings on my end?
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

rdaneel wrote: It's a whole different game, that's for sure.
How'd you mean? It is meant to still be DX in every way, minus the flaws. Simply the next level, as if the designers spent more time on it, only made it more more uncompromising also akin to System Shock and the rest. Despite DX's flaws it is my favourite of the lot, but there was, and still is, a lot of unmet potential.
However, I am not without flaws so please do report more issues you have and continue to make suggestions, whatever comes to mind, and also can I ask if you believe the "grass" should be removed? If it's too jarring and is not an improvement over vanilla then it should go.
I notice the scope and binoculars scaling is not adjusted in 6.1. Any plans to add that? The tiny scope and binoculars at 1920x1080 is a drag. Or is this something I can fix with settings on my end?
Lower resolution or disable OTP fix (option in Kenties "configuration") are your options I believe. I'd like the Sniper and the sniper only to have variable zoom and a larger area/circumference, or at least just larger by default. So it's another thing worthy of consideration. Good suggestion.

Make more! You mentioning demolitions made those improvements in the video happen. you're probably bummed it's not exactly what you suggested but hey, I have my reasons and all suggestions are appreciated regardless. then again, we now have knockout grenades in the form of gas initial blast concussion.
Saying that though your suggestion proposed knockout 'nades emitting concussion shock waves every second for 20 seconds, talk about OP ;)
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

rdaneel wrote:
Anyway, if more people take issue with the "grass" I'll remove it. Nobody had complained up 'till now though. It was a bit of an experiment though so I am definitely open to removing it. But hey, in this shot the "grass" looks better than the actual tree itself. I think I could maybe tweak the grass/vegetation a little more though, it does look bad in rdaneel's shot when it doesn't always look like that.
I certainly didn't mean to sound like I was complaining. I'm grateful for the work people are doing to update the game. I honestly thought it was a bug because I could tell it was either a tree or a bush that had sunk down into the ground.

But now that I get it's intentional, I'll "see" it that way.
Oh, just see this. It's going to have to go then. You shouldn't be made to feel that way. They should look good, convincing and not break the state of immersion you may have been experiencing, even if the trees and other DX plant life don't follow this rule. The vegetation should be a solid improvement as it is numerous plus stands out due to being new to the map.
First I am going to make a video so we can wrap it up though, because the location you took those shoots it just looks terrible when this is not the case for the whole picture, so some tweaking may fix it.
rdaneel
Thug

Post by rdaneel »

Lower resolution or disable OTP fix (option in Kenties "configuration") are your options I believe.
I haven't tried it yet to be sure, but I believe that the Kentie option would be a tradeoff between normal sized scope with HUGE HUD/toolbelt, versus normal toolbelt and tiny scope. I think G-Flex figured out a proper solution for this in Human Renovation, you might check with him or kcomo or Bjorn. I believe they incorporated all the HuRen code into the Revision project.
Whole different game? How'd you mean? It is meant to still be DX in every way, minus the flaws. Simply the next level, as if the designers spent more time on it, only made it more uncompromising also akin to System Shock and the rest.
I meant it in the best possible way. I mean, as a person that's been through Deus Ex so many times that I've more or less memorized it as many of us on this forum no doubt have, it's exciting to have the game seem new and fresh again - I do have to admit in a bittersweet sort of way. I think you've accomplished what you set out to do here, for the most part, that is to say make Deus Ex somehow more Deus Ex. In the original concept and spirit of the game, there was always supposed to be that element of choice and consequence that would encourage many replays. But in the original game it almost seems like the developers "chickened out" from going all the way with it. Aside from a very few irrevocable choices that only slightly branch the plot, there are almost too many different ways to do everything in Deus Ex, resulting not in agonizing choices and unavoidable tradeoffs, but just questions of which is the most efficient or expedient method at hand for any given obstacle. In Deus Ex the mildly determined player can do almost everything there is to do in one play through, regardless of how they've built their character. In GMDX I can already see that this will definitely not be possible. In fact, I already can see after only a few hours of play on Realistic that even for an extremely experienced and determined player there will be significant portions of the game that will be inaccessible in a single play through.

Is it an improvement over the original? Probably. Is it more fun? Highly subjective. Is it more "Deus Ex"? Well, maybe the old standard "be careful what you wish for" holds true here, but I think this is definitely a lot closer to what many of us always thought Deus Ex should be. And it's hard as f**k.

;-)

Oh, and I do like where the grenade thing is headed. It's more in line with where you've gone with everything else and definitely addresses the issue of the usefulness of the demolition skill. Of course this paradoxically makes the choices even more agonizing and the game even more difficult, which is probably also in line with where you're trying to go with it and is likely to be another improvement overall. I think you are closing in on the goal of "all skills equally useful" here... it really changes the game. I mean that in the sense of "fixes" the game. It almost forces the player to choose a combat or non-combat approach right off the bat and severely punishes deviation without making it totally impossible to grow the character in a different direction later in the game. Which is consistent with the intent of Deus Ex if not the original execution.
rdaneel
Thug

Post by rdaneel »

Oh, and I do like where the grenade thing is headed. It's more in line with where you've gone with everything else and definitely addresses the issue of the usefulness of the demolition skill.
Oh, but I want to say that as it sits in 6.1 I think the demo skill is a little broken. Nobody in the world can disarm a proxy mine in .5 seconds so what you're really saying to the player is that unless you spend X skill points then you WILL get blowed up at some point through the game. As a hardcore gamer (I mean true "hardcore" in the sense of character death equals game over, start new game, complete whole game without dying) this is equivalent to a "skill point tax" where I don't really get a choice about upgrading or not. I think even a person with the best reflexes in the world could only just barely disarm a proxy mine in 1 second and you have to give the player at least a fighting chance or else you're just telling them they have to invest in a skill to survive, which is counter to the spirit of Deus Ex.

The original demo skill was also broken in the sense of being too easy and accelerating to absurd amounts of time. I think it should start out where a player with excellent reflexes and experience can just barely disarm a mine that surprises him (1.5 seconds?), and it should gradually increase to maybe where a novice can do it with only a slight sense of panic (5 seconds?). It should always remain slightly stressful. My two cents.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

rdaneel wrote:
Oh, and I do like where the grenade thing is headed. It's more in line with where you've gone with everything else and definitely addresses the issue of the usefulness of the demolition skill.
Oh, but I want to say that as it sits in 6.1 I think the demo skill is a little broken. Nobody in the world can disarm a proxy mine in .5 seconds so what you're really saying to the player is that unless you spend X skill points then you WILL get blowed up at some point through the game. As a hardcore gamer (I mean true "hardcore" in the sense of character death equals game over, start new game, complete whole game without dying) this is equivalent to a "skill point tax" where I don't really get a choice about upgrading or not. I think even a person with the best reflexes in the world could only just barely disarm a proxy mine in 1 second and you have to give the player at least a fighting chance or else you're just telling them they have to invest in a skill to survive, which is counter to the spirit of Deus Ex.
It is possible to disable grenades in <0.5 seconds without any tools. I've had get tricky with some proximity mine placements to ensure untrained cannot disarm in some situations. You'll come across such situations eventually.

Now, with tools you have speed enhancement which obviously helps rushing up and disarming one, or EMP grenades and Spy drone can be used to disable them for the taking.

The above only applies to disarming them for the taking. There are many methods for blowing them up, or you can just ignore them altogether and find another route.

There's no skill point tax. If you want all the grenades on the walls you have to upgrade the respective skill, you basically buy the grenades on the wall in skill points (though again you can still get most at untrained and with no tools, but all of them if you use spy drone) and ensure a mine never catches you off guard. Now with the new improvements too.

Oh, and thanks for the kind words. and yeah, to make the RPG systems balanced, AI more believable and so on increased difficulty was a necessity. Easy mode still exists though which certainly will help those averse to a challenge.
This increased difficulty was something DX needed anyway quite frankly. Not so much at the beginning of the game, but something to challenge you when you over time become a Deus Ex machina with tons of augs installed, skills upgraded, have a small arsenal and so on.

Now a Thinking man's shooter/sneaker that actually makes you think harder, right to the very end, without being over the top and being careful to be respectful of the original developer's work. But it's not all about the challenge, the mod offers so much more.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

GMDX is in the top 100 most popular mods on moddb. A fluctuating statistic but it is currently #31.
It also has a averaged review rating of 96/100.

Come and try out the next level of Deus Ex for yourself.
rdaneel
Thug

Post by rdaneel »

Cybernetic Pig,

I've confirmed that the Kentie/OTP UI scaling fix is all or nothing. Either you get blurry HUD and usable scope or crisp HUD and tiny scope. I think G-Flex figured out a fix for it.

GMDX seems to have the pepper gun issue where the gun has effectively zero range. I believe the bug is in vanilla and that several other mods have fixed this.

FYI...
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Just implemented Rate of Fire weapon mods courtesy of Shifter's code. Also tweaked weaponry to accommodate them. Now to distribute them in the maps.

The following weapons can have RoF mods:

Glock
Mini-Crossbow
USP.10
Sawed-Off
RiotProd
UMP
Assault Shotgun
Sniper Rifle
Custom Sniper Rifle
Plasma Rifle

As per default design I'll distribute 15-20 mods evenly throughout the game, enough to max mod 3-4 weapons in one playthrough (despite being able to carry more than that) and therefore good for choice & consequence & replayability.
rdaneel wrote: GMDX seems to have the pepper gun issue where the gun has effectively zero range. I believe the bug is in vanilla and that several other mods have fixed this.
FYI...
I'll take a look.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Right, I'm in need of another tester or two. Yes, it is not even two weeks since the last release, but more advancement is on the way:

bold=Very Significant

Skills:

-Tech goggles can see through walls (albeit with short range) at advanced and master environ skill level.
-Demolitions increases blast radius & at master level gas grenades can K.O unaugmented pawns with the initial concussion-inducing blast.

Augs:

-Combat strength increases melee attack speed in addition to damage to balance out against Microfibral Muscle, and because FUN.
-Speed Enhancement produces noise when crouched, therefore making silent running worth a damn.
-Restored Agressive Defensive System's ability to detonate proximity mines for balancing reasons.
-Increased microfibral muscle throw velocity a touch.

Weaponry:

-Implemented Rate of Fire mods.
-Weapon mods are now stackable in the inventory.
-Improved ballistic impact effects further.
-Reduced grenade detonation time by 1 second and increased throw range a touch.
-Pepper gun & fire extinguishers are significantly more reliable.

AI:

-Increased running anim speed by 5% and melee attack speed by 10% to make them look a touch more convincing.
-AI notice when cameras are beeping at you and hunt in the direction they are looking in. (hardcore mode only).
-Nerfed vanilla mib & Wib
-Minor changes to barks and pain sounds for realism.

Effects:

-Heavy EMP damage temporarily disables the HUD.
-Added new footstep sounds for when landing from height.
-Slowed camera spinning speed upon player death
-Improved rocket & explosion effects further.
-Minor improvements to gore
-Minor modification to electricity effects.
-Improved plasma effects further.

Maps:

-Significant improvements to NYC streets maps.
-Fixed crashing when hacking a terminal in NYC sewers.
-Fixed an AI issues when stealing from one of the triads.
-Distributed rate of fire mods across the game according to the approach in vanilla design.
-Added additional aesthetic detail to a small number of maps.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Significantly improved gore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4UaD1c ... e=youtu.be

-Giblets stick to walls and drip blood.
-Numerous variations of gore is spawned.
-If an NPC is blown up then the gore flies further and emit smoke.
...And more.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Cool.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.