Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Dominic_Denton
UNATCO

HDTP Release #1 Screenshots Thread

Post by Dominic_Denton »

While exploring the new world of HDTP, I decided to make a room full of yummy HDTP stuff.

I noticed Gunther hunched when he walked.

Gunther While Standing Still:

Gunther While Walking:

Here's some more thingies

Datacube Looking Snazzy:

Here's another suspicious occurence with the new cig machine:

You use alot of credits to buy all of the packs (Stogie and Big Top):

And smoke some, and then toss the rest:

JC always prefers Big Top smokes.
I've left the board.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Yeah the code for bCanHaveMultipleCopies pickups is really weird. As far as I can tell, picking one up when you already have one does the following:

Checks you can have more.
Adds the number you have alreaady to the NumCopies of the one you're about to pick up.
Destroys yours.
Gives you the new one.

Which makes keeping track of the skins a bit tricky. Smoke's done it, but then, he's clever. :(
Flyboy
UNATCO

Post by Flyboy »

I've got some screens as well.

A weird graphic glitch when Gunther talks, only happens in Liberty Island though.

He's normal here:
And then:

And this shot is just random, funny none the less, and I just found them like this too.
Fulgrymm
UNATCO

Post by Fulgrymm »

Aww you never give him a gun? Now the only friend you have early game is Paul, and he goes bonkers and deserts after you blow up the generator.
Darkshade
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Darkshade »

Wow, I need to play it through again. I thought you help him with the generators, but... I also remember blowing up the generators... varg, yo!
"Metaphore" is a bloody metaphore.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

That NSF level is weird. You blow up the generator, but Paul's mission fails. He doesn't come back. When Jock forces you to go see Paul in HK later, you have to go to the NSF warehouse again to send a distress signal.
Fulgrymm
UNATCO

Post by Fulgrymm »

Yeah and the architecture changes in the meantime. As well as the outside area, as it's no longer possible to go over the rooftops to get to this place when Paul sends you there.
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Post by Y|yukichigai »

Fulgrymm wrote:Yeah and the architecture changes in the meantime. As well as the outside area, as it's no longer possible to go over the rooftops to get to this place when Paul sends you there.
That's because it isn't the same building. Look at how you get to the first building: you go through Osgood and Son's. The next building with the sat dishes is reached by going through the gate at the opposite end of Hell's Kitchen. They are two very similar buildings, no doubt, but they're different places all the same.
Fulgrymm
UNATCO

Post by Fulgrymm »

Actually, my good sir, they are supposed to be one and the same. The only reason you can't get to it from Hell's Kitchen is that it's been blocked off by the riot police, which is why you have to go around in the first place. Paul himself says the satellite dishes are kept in the warehouse where the NSF had the generator. I can't imagine them having more than one of those, as in all likelihood you'd have to destroy that one also. It's either developer oversight, or just a small error in the script. Probably the latter, since going through Osgood's doesn't quite make it all the way around the perimeter of Hell's Kitchen to match up with the altered warehouse. Just another quirk in the game I suppose. Like how the 'Ton is supposed to have a third floor, yet the stairs only go up to floor two, and the elevator door to floor three is only a decal.
DDL

Post by DDL »

Given the level of attention to detail throughout the game, I think it's highly unlikely that they'd make a mistake like that.

I is supposed to be a separate building. It has different architecture, it's in a different place, and Paul gives you a photo of it: why would he bother if it was the same building you'd been in earlier?
You want proof, pay a visit to the NSF headquarters. Down in the basement, protected by boobytraps, a datacube sits on the edge of a table: my report to the militia leaders. Here, I have a photograph of the building. It's a couple of blocks to the west, behind the bar.

I think that's the warehouse paul was storming while you go knock out the generator building and it's EMP generator.

But yeah: they do look awfully similar if you don't think about it too much. It was only on my third playthrough that the penny dropped for me. :oops:
Darkshade
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Darkshade »

I like alcohol.
"Metaphore" is a bloody metaphore.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Here's another bit of evidence.

If you load up the first warehouse level (called 02_NYC_Warehouse) and save the game, your location in the savegame menu will be listed as "NYC - Warehouse District".
If you load up the second warehouse level (04_NYC_NSFHQ) and save the game, your location will be listed as "NYC - 20th Street Warehouse".

Besides, the first warehouse has a bigass sign on the side saying "OSGOOD & SONS", and the second warehouse does not. It also looks quite different when you examine it. They are both warehouses and they both utilize the same texture scheme, however (presumably to recycle resources), so the confusion is quite understandable.

Making two completely different maps for the SAME LOCATION is not a mistake you make. The first warehouse was made by Bob White and the second one by Marshall Andrews. You do not get two different guys to make two different maps if they take place in the same location, guys. That's basically throwing money out the window.

It wasn't a mistake, it's deliberate. And by the way, those rooftops may well be my favourite piece of level design in the entire game.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DDL

Post by DDL »

It's a sad reflection on how one's mind adapts to the DX playstyle that when I get to that bit now, I don't think "Hmm..which approach is the least likely to get me killed"..I think "Hmmm...free sniper ammo now, free grenades later, or free grenades now, free sniper ammo later?"

:(
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hahah, I usually don't think at all, usually I take whatever approach I haven't tried before, and in the cases where I've tried all approaches, I pick the one I enjoyed the most of the first time :lol:

It's not like the DX AI poses much of a threat to me anyway, these days.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I move through DX mostly on autopilot nowadays, especially the first few levels, go round the statue, climb containers, rescue gunther if I think about it on time, climb up the stairs, try not to get noticed, talk to the guy, go back, etc. It's a shame, really, I should erase all memory of DX and play it again like it was the first time.