Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
sweets
NSF

An introduction and a suggestion

Post by sweets »

Firstly, I'd like to say hi. Name's sweets; I honestly didn't steal that from GTA:SA :x he stole it from me! I've seen your work and I'm playing the first release through right now - top stuff I'll add. If I could make a suggestion?

I began DX by playing the PS2 version (burn him!) so, yeah, going back to the PC was oh so much better. Despite the better graphics and the fact that Realistic mode is what it says, the PC version missed out on one of my favourite parts of the PS2 game. On your return to Hell's Kitchen, when you're to meet with Dowd in the ruins of Osgood & Sons, there was no music! I thought it was a shame because on the PS2 it played this fantastic piece; one of the best in the game. I can't find a link because they're all PC-related, but you might know what I'm talking about. I know this is mainly a graphical revamp but if you could add it I'm sure people would appreciate it - and technically, you're still sticking to the original material.

And I was disappointed the Freighter carrying the virus didn't sink after 30 minutes... but I don't think anyone expects you to change that!

After reading some stuff on the DXR site, they say your mod could be compatible with theirs. I'm pleased to say we're going to see a DX renaissance in the next few years!
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Firstly, I think the PS2 thing is a good idea - I think I remember the part your talking about.

Secondly, yep we're 100% compatible with DX:R - or at least thats what we're assuming. We'll let you guys prove that once its released - but its looking good so far.

Thirdly, don't you dare ever meantion GTA:SA on this forum again or I'll slap you for bringing up BAD memories. (just kidding :D)

Fourthly,
I'm pleased to say we're going to see a DX renaissance in the next few years!
I wouldn't call it a Renaissance... More a High/Late Dark Age. Where things are still bad- but they're a lot better than what they use to be. The Renaissance will come once the technology gets more attention.
sweets
NSF

Post by sweets »

Great. Thanks for taking this on board. I found the piece I was talking about, brought it right back for me.

http://www.jadiepoo.com/dx/OST/19%20-%2 ... %20NYC.mp3

It's legal to download, apparently, so you guys could get it from there.

GTA:SA... ahhh.

"Okay holmes take me closer to the truck!"

"Okay... Watson..."
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hey, welcome to the board. It's always nice to see more intelligent and articulate people arriving (yes, we're basically a bunch of elitists, sorry) :)

It won't be necessary to download the track from the Internet, because it was included with the game and used in a couple other levels as far as I know, adding it to the level is litterally a 2-minute job, plus however long it takes to open the map in the Unreal Editor, you could do it yourself if you knew how. So whether or not to add it in HDTP isn't really a question of effort, just a trade-off between fixing an annoying bug and adding to the mod's download size (as I don't think there's any way around including the map in the mod installer if this is to be fixed).

It's only a bit over 3 MB though.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Nah, you could probably use setpropertytext or even just spawn in a music actor in the firstframe bit to do that.

If I get the time, I'll have a look.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

*Bows before DDL's coding expertise and beats a hasty retreat from the thread before embarrassing himself further*
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Hi Sweets!

Welcome aboard - hope you enjoy your time here :)

M.
sweets
NSF

Post by sweets »

Jonas wrote:Hey, welcome to the board. It's always nice to see more intelligent and articulate people arriving (yes, we're basically a bunch of elitists, sorry) :)
metche wrote:Welcome aboard - hope you enjoy your time here
Haha, thanks. I always try to go for good boards rather than:

"ZOMG ur my godz dood fanks!!1"
*HUGE 800x500 image as a signature*

That's not too far off one experience I had...

I've not even completed it on the PC yet so I'm not sure if it's in the game.

What about the initial title music? Maybe we could have a vote on whether the PC's is better than PS2? I'm not so sure myself, the PS2 does have a clarinet (I think) rather than a keyboard. Might be worth discussing.

PS2 title music - http://www.jadiepoo.com/dx/OST/01%20-%2 ... 0Title.mp3
PC title music - http://www.jadiepoo.com/dx/01_Title_Music.mp3

There's a very subtle difference. Near the end is probably the most obvious. I'm being very pedantic here...
Last edited by sweets on Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

sweets wrote:*HUGE 800x500 image as a signature*
You think THAT'S bad, I once had to abuse my admin powers to get rid of multiple high-resolution hentai pics from some guy's signature...the things people will do to get some attention :?

Welcome to the boards, sweets! :mrgreen:
evil_leprechaun
Thug

Post by evil_leprechaun »

man, haven't been round this place in a LONG time. Nice to see everyone's still as happy and active as they were before....and i see Zylon's still here as well (i jk, i jk ;) )

I believe (dont hold this against me now, I'm not entirely sure) that the PS2 DX music was re-recorded with an orchestra. It's certainly got a higher sound quality, and I defo wouldn't mind listening to it, but this is deinitely out of HDTP's scope. Perhaps this would be a job for DX:R, or more likely the DX HD music mod.
"Do not go gently into that good night, Rage, rage against the dying of the light" - Dylan Thomas
Darkshade
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Darkshade »

Master_Kale wrote:
sweets wrote:*HUGE 800x500 image as a signature*
You think THAT'S bad, I once had to abuse my admin powers to get rid of multiple high-resolution hentai pics from some guy's signature...the things people will do to get some attention :?

Welcome to the boards, sweets! :mrgreen:

Why'd you delete them? ;)
"Metaphore" is a bloody metaphore.
warman
UNATCO

Post by warman »

sweets wrote: I'm not so sure myself, the PS2 does have a clarinet (I think) rather than a keyboard. Might be worth discussing.
Welcoe to the boards! :D

Sorry to nit pick but the thing playing in the intro is an Oboe. ;)

A clarinet has a kind of "rougher tone to it.

evil_leprechaun wrote:or more likely the DX HD music mod.
What is the HD music mod? :oops:
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

warman wrote:
sweets wrote: I'm not so sure myself, the PS2 does have a clarinet (I think) rather than a keyboard. Might be worth discussing.
Sorry to nit pick but the thing playing in the intro is an Oboe. ;)

A clarinet has a kind of "rougher tone to it.
You know I had thought about saying, "It's not worth making a fuss about unless it's an oboe. I decided not to say that but the fact remains that now you've told me that it is an oboe, and all of a sudden I feel like making a fuss.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

warman wrote:
evil_leprechaun wrote:or more likely the DX HD music mod.
What is the HD music mod? :oops:
Took some time to look it up, but ... drumroll ...
http://www.offtopicproductions.com/foru ... 2498#12498
http://www.tzang.com/hdmusic/
sweets
NSF

Post by sweets »

warman wrote:Sorry to nit pick but the thing playing in the intro is an Oboe. ;)
No problem, glad you corrected me.

EER - Thanks for the link. You could still add the "Return to NYC" without too much trouble - or so I've heard. These guys will have saved you a ton of work if you were contemplating changing the music ;). All the mods combined will make the game a better experience. But yours is still the hardest/best!