Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Darkshade
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Darkshade »

Yeah, that's much better, but I think his jaws are a bit too strong - check out the way his lips protrude lol
"Metaphore" is a bloody metaphore.
Zandor
Thug

Post by Zandor »

Nice, can you post a wireframe/faceted version?
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

He looks better thinner. He looks quite thin now, but the old version now looks as if his face is stretched horizontally.

It is great to see the man with ears and fingers. Where the facial lighting looks like it was done in-texture before, the increase in polygons make it possible for the room lighting to actually do that - I can see the light source in JC's chin now.

I agree that the pants are odd looking. They are baggy at the bottom, a style JC seemed to prefer (Anna referenced this). They're extremely form fitting at the pelvis though. This might be fixed with a texture, as the original JC looks to have had this problem "caused" by straps around the legs and thighs.

His cape/overcoat looks odd. While JC's overcoat tapers down at the bottom towards the ground (emulating gravity), New JC's looks weightless/overstarched, almost like a gown. Don't think I didn't notice how the sleeves are in position to the hands :)

What was decided with the faces/races options? This man looks very much like JC Denton from Invisible War.
http://visualwalkthroughs.com/deusexinv ... -58-47.jpg

While the texturing is incomplete, he looks very much like a man, so the texturing should give us JC Denton.
evil_leprechaun
Thug

Post by evil_leprechaun »

nice work, he looks great. also, ive just noticed the expression. it may be the missing glasses, but the new JC looks a lot more stern than the old one. and this fits him perfectly :D Also, when texturing, it would be a good idea to base the texture on the IW JC, seeing as thats the design that Ion Storm were going for with JC. Great work Phas, keep up the brilliant and somewhat amazingly beautiful work. Your a great inspiration for a simple minded and somewhat pathetic moddler like me :P
"Do not go gently into that good night, Rage, rage against the dying of the light" - Dylan Thomas
JC12
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by JC12 »

I think we should keep JC to look like what he did originally. I really don't like the way JC looks in IW.

Though, that obviously isn't my choice. But Still...
evil_leprechaun
Thug

Post by evil_leprechaun »

The IW JC is the same as in DE, just better textured and without his glasses. Same clothes and all, at least i think so when i look at him. Maybe im wrong, but still, its up to the texturer.
"Do not go gently into that good night, Rage, rage against the dying of the light" - Dylan Thomas
Dominic_Denton
UNATCO

Post by Dominic_Denton »

I have made two comparison images, labelling the 10 vital points that should be edited before the character is considered finished.
I've left the board.
ThalesA7X
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by ThalesA7X »

Your pictures seem to use the model from BEFORE he changed the head.

The torso/groin area will look completely different after texturing. He doesn't have a 'beer-belly'.
Dominic_Denton
UNATCO

Post by Dominic_Denton »

Okay, he still has more of a beer-belly in that second one and now his crotch is part of his beer-belly, strange...
I have to agree with Ray16 about that beer-belly. That is all...
His chest kind of makes him look like he has a little bit of a beer belly
But...
but it probably won't be noticeable after texturing.
I think your right.
I've left the board.
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Ok alot to answer. I haven't worked on him this weekend so there's nothing to show you but I should start working on him again tomorrow.

First! Thank you for your comments, it really helps. :D

I will do a few shots of the original with sunglasses, its a pain because I will have to use an alpha texture and it was easier to just delete the sunglasses polys.

The lips protude as much as the original, I made sure of that.

I'll post a wire shot tomorrow.

The coat: The pose he is in is just the Tpose, this is so he can be rigged easily. Gravity does not come in to it until he is animated.

Dominic_Denton:
I can't read all your comments on there so I will try to cover the parts I can read. Your comments about the face are texture issues, such as the side burns and the cheek lines etc. I'm not going to make his head thiner, it will look very strange if it's too thin.

The beer belly: As Thales rightly points out, this is due to the many buckles and straps and it should look a lot better when textured. Also remember the original model wasn't only used for JC but a host of other characters too so if they did put a little geometry in there for the strap all the other characters that use the model would look strange.

Trousers:
I'll get rid of the bulge where they meet the boots.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
ThalesA7X
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by ThalesA7X »

I'm looking forward to seeing the wureframe. It will give most of us a better idea of how it will look in engine. As you and some others know, some modelling techniques don't work in the older unreal engine. It will smash them it certain places if the vertces aren't aranged well.

Even though I am certain you have that covered ;)
Darkshade
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Darkshade »

That was some crazy deep diagraming. Woot!
"Metaphore" is a bloody metaphore.
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

There are a lot of pictures so I'm going to link to them instead of posting them.

Wire1
Wire2
Wire3
Wire4

With Shades
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

oooh!!!!!! Check out the 'with shades' comparison pic - fantastic! He looks like he should do - a proper higher poly version of the original JC :D
giantzucchini
Thug

Post by giantzucchini »

Very nice going! I like the fact that it looks like the original DE JC and also has a resemblence to the IW JC as well! Although if I was to nitpick I'd agree that the coat should curve back inwards at the bottom instead of flaying out. (It's slightly more obvious in the wire)