Gunther Opinions Please.

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
JC
NSF

Post by JC »

lol, ok. I prefer that one (whichever one it is).

By the way, the movie isn't working on filefront, it stops during the download. Wouldn't it be easier to upload it on http://www.putfile.com/. It would mean there's no wait either. I really want to watch this movie.
Dragon
Silhouette

Post by Dragon »

Leader and Head Programmer: Epsylon, Drag[en]gine Game Engine (Alt-Page) and others
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

I started rigging him Friday and I went for the big eyes look, I didn't want to spend any more time tweaking him. He should be rigged within next week.

I expect the texture will be completed by Tek so suggestion for those should go to him.

The videos may be moved to the OTP website so there won't be any waiting for the files, however don't quote me on that.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Phasmatis wrote:The videos may be moved to the OTP website so there won't be any waiting for the files, however don't quote me on that.
Mwuahaha.

If I actually had the files I'd mirror them myself, alas, I do not.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

Alright, the Gunther videos are now hosted for download off the OTP server, so no more waiting! YAY! :P

I'll make sure all future media is hosted off of the OTP server so none of you can eve complain about having to wait for the files anymore :)

I'll also get around (eventually) to moving the audio blogs to the OTP server, as well
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Thanks, good to see some in-game video, and he looks good to go.

The texture is still tweakable? I think everything with size and proportion looks great. The only thing I notice in-game is that the new gunther looks much shinier, much brighter in his silvery light green than the old blue and black. It's just a stylistic difference, otherwise he is Gunther in real life, but with a better workout plan and he's spending less time preening with his metal buffer :) (that's a good thing for a battle cyborg). Great stuff. Who's up next? :-D
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Bob Page video maybe? (given that the only animation is him talking)
iamtek

Post by iamtek »

ok.
i know this sint about the texture, but a few peeps have mentioned the green'ness of the tex.
if you look at the texture it is basically blue. black and blue, like the original.
the idea behind the green details is to show wear.
like aluminium and copper based metals, exposure to heat, moisture etc leaves the surface of the metal tinged with green.
i thought this made a nice visual mix of tone and conrasting colour. rather that than showing surface corrosion with rust. thatwould look shoddy.
Ajare
MJ12

Post by Ajare »

Do we want a new thread about the texture, or have we finished debating the model here?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I think Phasmatis said he didn't want any more model opinions because he's already started rigging it. So let's just move the topic on to the texture.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
JC
NSF

Post by JC »

Thanks for sorting out the video. I've just watched it and I'm blown away, it's really amazing what you've done. Both the texture and model are perfectly fine, they both look amazing. Well done, I really want to play this :). You're doing a great job.

I love the cold blank look on Gunther's face, it's really scary and I know it will look amazing in the actual game. I can't wait!
Keffe
Thug

Post by Keffe »

I like the new Gunther but the only thing that strikes me as odd for it is the color.
i know this sint about the texture, but a few peeps have mentioned the green'ness of the tex.
if you look at the texture it is basically blue. black and blue, like the original.
the idea behind the green details is to show wear.
like aluminium and copper based metals, exposure to heat, moisture etc leaves the surface of the metal tinged with green.
i thought this made a nice visual mix of tone and conrasting colour. rather that than showing surface corrosion with rust. thatwould look shoddy.
After reading this I can understand why the color is different but it just seems too greenish to me.

I'm not suggesting nor asking anything to be changed but I was hoping for a more similar color for the outfit with possibly a look of him wearing body armor (like JC's body armor) over his mechanized self.

I wouldn't call it a disappointment since I think this new Gunther is superior to the old. Also it may be the lighting in the videos compared to Deus Ex in game. The videos may of been a bit brighter than what Deus Ex usually was so that may of contributed to the odd feeling of Gunther 2.0's color.

In anycase, great work and I look forward to seeing it all completed.
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Once Gunther is rigged properly, Metche can make another video. Perhaps this time Gunther can be put in a map where he would normally be, that way the lighting will be the same. In the test map I made for those videos the lighting is quite bright and I also have a few coloured lights in there one of which is green, that maybe why the textures look so green in the video.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

My god, he looks good.

I like the way he runs like he's about to rugby-tackle someone, too.

*three thumbs up*
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

iamtek wrote: the idea behind the green details is to show wear.
I do appreciate how much thought is going into the redesign, as with the NSF terrorist, it keeps it more in tune with reality. But when the character looks completely different (and he does now, in such a good and life-like way), wearing the same clothes helps to keep the characters similar. For me, greenish is alright, I like blue but that's just colours. The difference is that it's a light tinge of green on a silvery outfit with some shadows, rather than blue shiny bits on a black outfit with some highlights. He's gone from a dark machine to a sort of white knight/knight in shining armor. It changes the persona of the character for me. If only we could email the Deus Ex character designers, ask "What were you going for with this guy?"...I'd like to see him in a DX map though, the lighting would be entirely different, shadowy, so I could be completely wrong.

I can say the model is looking great, no more changes necessary at all.
Last edited by justanotherfan on Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.