Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Nameless Voice
UNATCO

Re: Seriously what the fuck is the point of this mod in 2009

Post by Nameless Voice »

I propose a time limit on new members before they're allowed to send private messages.

Also, prime victim for a hellbanning (not sure if phpBB supports that, though).
encinodude
NSF

Post by encinodude »

Har, keep on acknowledging the guy's presence and he'll definitely go away.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

VAPORWARE wrote:70 messages in 60 seconds isn't bad with multiple proxys . Im probibly going to fill the boxes of everyone on this forum when my xeno bandwidth limit resets . I could literly do it in under 60 seconds purly on the Xeno network
I think this person is exposing an issue with online bulletin board systems in general, but perhaps with phpBB itself as configured here. A user is allowed to send more than one message per second, and the forum allows registrations through known commercial proxies.

There should be a modification to phpbb to limit or throttle private message floods. One option would be a captcha to slow down automated PMs, but I haven't seen a mod for this. There is flood control, but that's probably just for topics and posts.

An option against proxies would be Block Open Proxy Registration (phpbb 2, sorry)-
http://www.phpbb.com/mods/db/index.php? ... ib_id=1417

njabl.org has a database of open proxies that can be blocked. SPAMHAUS.org maintains a realtime database of botnets and proxies etc. Most proxies are configured to identify themselves as proxies, and that can be blocked, but that blocks legitimate commercial proxies (which appear to be the problem here anyway).
encinodude wrote:Har, keep on acknowledging the guy's presence and he'll definitely go away.
I'm thinking that this is the answer. All the suggestions to change phpbb above won't stop a person determined to waste their time by annoying people. Technical solutions can block legit people too, and they make a technical game for the troll (or at least they did, before you could pay for idiotproof "Anonymost Hiderizer" software anywhere). From what a few of this person are saying, I'm guessing that a majority of the anger and negativity that's suddenly come up is from the same troll. I think a new policy of not feeding the trolls should be added to the forum rules. What we have here in the HDTP subforum is the top two threads being ranting crap, with five pages of it each, and a number more threads like that below. We thought this was multiple people, so we replied to educate them, but it was just a troll. We could continue coming to the defense of HDTP, but HDTP should know we love them and what they're doing, so it just encourages more ranting. We can relax now. Just don't reply, and when a moderator notices the SPAM there'll be a ban.
encinodude
NSF

Re: Comedy angry internet man spam thread #1

Post by encinodude »

The forum was getting kinda dead and the trolling was fun until it degenerated into shameless FEED ME FEED ME desperation. When it gets to that point, the only sensible thing to do is to let the poor bastard starve.
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Hey! He was advertising how to download my beloved Dawn of War 2 Illegally!

Still pretty funny.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

SlySpy wrote:So far he's only managed to piss off Jonas, which I guess is good enough for him.
Heheheh he did really get on my nerves, but now I'm over it. I gotta admit reading all of you guys' replies to this wankstain is kinda entertaining :mrgreen:
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

That reminds me of a bandname a friend of mine once came up with:
"Knob wankstain and the cuntpuffins"

A shame they never used it :mrgreen:
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Storm
UNATCO

Post by Storm »

Hmm I just wonder what this guy looks like! Karkian crossed with a greasel crossed with Gunther Hermann..But that would be sort of cute.. >:D
When the remarkable becomes bizarre, reason turns rancid.
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Weirdo! ... Greasel crossed with Gunther I can understand but Karkian in the mix too? Bleh.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
Storm
UNATCO

Post by Storm »

Phasmatis wrote:Weirdo! ... Greasel crossed with Gunther I can understand but Karkian in the mix too? Bleh.
See Gunther and greasels kinda look alike.. So the karkian would add..umm...variety :lol:
When the remarkable becomes bizarre, reason turns rancid.
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

Storm wrote:Hmm I just wonder what this guy looks like! Karkian crossed with a greasel crossed with Gunther Hermann..But that would be sort of cute.. >:D
Oh lord I'd rather not imagine... I kept getting flashes of unbathed, sweaty, fat dude, with crusty food stains on his shirt, hiding in his mother's basement last night... It was hard to sleep... well until my Melatonin kicked in... LOL :giggle:
encinodude wrote:Har, keep on acknowledging the guy's presence and he'll definitely go away.
We've already tried the ignoring him option, it worked for two seconds. The dude keeps coming back under a different name now... he's not going away... he's like a really bad case of Herpes... :twisted:
EER wrote:That reminds me of a bandname a friend of mine once came up with:
"Knob wankstain and the cuntpuffins" A shame they never used it :mrgreen:
It probably occured to them that no girls would show up with that kind of name... +o(
Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become...
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Storm wrote:
Phasmatis wrote:Weirdo! ... Greasel crossed with Gunther I can understand but Karkian in the mix too? Bleh.
See Gunther and greasels kinda look alike.. So the karkian would add..umm...variety :lol:
I see, well each to their I guess... Not my personal preference though. +o(
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
encinodude
NSF

Post by encinodude »

Jane_Denton wrote:We've already tried the ignoring him option
We did? It looked to me like we were all giving him the attention he was craving.
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

Jonas wrote: As far as I can tell from this motherfucker's IP, he's not James, but I'm still banning the asshole.
Looks like your going to need to attain a list of all TOR network servers IP's or ban all IP's that are running a TOR. Although I think that's imposable.

There might be a way to block Mac Address but I think that would be getting into border line illegal stuff.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Thank you, I get the whole proxy thing, I was having an off day.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine