Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Re: Metche Steel

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

Kee715 wrote:Well HD Trees would be cool, but they are not a necessity, HDTP will be great with or without Trees.
Well I am going to try to learn 3ds Max, So I will at least put some work into trying to redo it If it can be replaced with a non-sheet tree. Too bad I don't have a tablet on the computer I am going to be using it with though :(

Also, I know when I build this thing, I will screw up so bad it will either break the tree or Deus Ex will eat my face when I try to include it, so I wouldn't expect too much from my effort. There is only one kind of sheet tree right? also if it is desired I can try to do mulching.

Final Question what kind of tree should I model this after?
Hmm, I really wish I had a signature...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

m3rc1l3ss wrote:So can we completely do away with the sheet tree model, and replace it with a full 3d model?
Yes. Just make sure it's the right dimensions and overall shape.
There is only one kind of sheet tree right?
Actually there are at two - out of the four trees in DX, Tree1 and Tree2 are made out of sheets, Tree3 and Tree4 have proper models.
Final Question what kind of tree should I model this after?
I have no idea - I don't know if the DX ones were modelled after a particular sort. Just make one up that looks enough like DX's ;)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
r00tb33r
MJ12

Post by r00tb33r »

So whats the current status? Is it being packaged and shipped as-is or are we waiting once again for a miracle to happen?

Quite honestly the missing new models for trees aren't such a big deal as the overall appearance of the game has not improved. It seems no one cared to make more complex level geometry.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

r00tb33r wrote:Quite honestly the missing new models for trees aren't such a big deal as the overall appearance of the game has not improved. It seems no one cared to make more complex level geometry.
That is not correct: http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-revision

If you are simply talking about adding more detail to the existing maps, that is only possible to a very limited extent: using meshes like modern games will look terrible because of inaccurate mesh lighting, using CSG line the original maps will very quickly reach a detail level where the game as well as the editor will crash constantly (trust me on this).
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
r00tb33r
MJ12

Post by r00tb33r »

Jonas wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:Quite honestly the missing new models for trees aren't such a big deal as the overall appearance of the game has not improved. It seems no one cared to make more complex level geometry.
That is not correct: http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-revision
Yes it is correct. And I do know that mod. That mod creates completely new level arrangement, modifying the gameplay. While it is probably a damn good mod, that's not what I meant by "more complex level geometry".
Deus Ex levels are very low polygon. There are plenty of places where you can round things off, or possibly create new shapes which were not suitable for PCs in year 2000 due to limited end user system power. I'm talking like nice curved pipe railings instead of concrete textured blocks, like in UNATCO HQ. Perhaps some randomized geometry like uneven pavement, chips in steps in subways, busted tiles on walls, etc. Games like HL2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Fallout 3 are filled with freeformed geometry. It's nice. It creates immersion which takes away the feeling of a virtual tour in an architectural design program.
Take a good look here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/black-mesa/im ... 5#imagebox
Sure the mod did create completely new layouts for some areas, but there are plenty of examples of the old "floorplans" being reproduced in greater detail such as the screenshot shown.
While Deus Ex: Revision creates new layouts for areas of the original storyline, they aren't necessarily of the level of detail that I am implying.
You might say that Unreal 1 engine is aged and not suited for this sort of detail and that sort of thing... In that case I would have only one answer - "No shit, all new content should have been done on a newer engine."
Fine, you will agree that Unreal 2 (or even 3) is better suited for a true high definition mod. You will perhaps blame Deus Ex: Reborn mod for not having much progress with the port. My answer to that would be "Who cares? Deus Ex: Reborn is not focused on making new level geometry. If you look carefully at the project outline, Deus Ex: Reborn is meant to convert the existing Deus Ex level geometry to Unreal 2 engine. Deus Ex: Reborn produces no new content. Projects that create new content (new models, textures) such as HDTP are the ones responsible for making their content for Unreal 2."
You would probably make a personal witty remark that HDTP does not focus on level geometry or levels themselves, just item and NPC models and textures. My answer to that would be "If you would have read the post carefully, I never said that HDTP was the project responsible for new level work. Perhaps there should be another project consisting of artists that will freshen up the appearance of the old levels. Take a look here: http://www.visualwalkthroughs.com/deuse ... ral/21.jpg Ain't that fugly? There are lots of ways you can improve that cathedral without changing the internal layout and thus not modifying the gameplay."
With that said, someone perhaps should drop out of school and quit their job and get cracking on improving the look of the game. :lol:
And I think HDTP really oughta be out as-is, and perhaps with a separate download of 3dsmax models and stuff or whatever to import directly into whatever the new platform might be.

[EDIT]
I guess I should state the point of the post more clearly: HDTP makes Deus Ex look like a new Lamborghini parked in front of a barn. And New Vision isn't of any help here because the overall look does not change, as levels will still remain looking like this: http://www.visualwalkthroughs.com/deuse ... ral/21.jpg
While I didn't say that New Vision is a useless mod, however it isn't... well... as effective as it could be.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

New trees would make other mods happy. HDTP without it would too. It looks Revision has some new tree that I don't remember?
http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/11 ... nilla4.jpg

Anyway, DX Reborn came late to the party. Level geometry can be another project's task after that's released. I still don't understand why new trees wouldn't matter because something else doesn't look modern.
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

HDTP will be release as-is, as an open source package.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

r00tb33r wrote:blah blah blah
This:
justanotherfan wrote:I still don't understand why new trees wouldn't matter because something else doesn't look modern.
Quoted for truth.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

I think someone is missing the fucking point.

Don't take NV and HDTP in isolation. They can be taken and used in the Deus Ex ut2004 remake mod. Nothing is wasted :)

Deus Ex 1 has come to the end I'm afraid. Once TNM and HDTP are released I reckon the curtains will be drawn for good.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

metche_steele wrote:Deus Ex 1 has come to the end I'm afraid. Once TNM and HDTP are released I reckon the curtains will be drawn for good.
Thankfully that is not your call to make, Ms. Doomsayer. Just get your damn mod done and leave the rest of the modders to do their thing.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Jonas wrote:
metche_steele wrote:Deus Ex 1 has come to the end I'm afraid. Once TNM and HDTP are released I reckon the curtains will be drawn for good.
Thankfully that is not your call to make, Ms. Doomsayer. Just get your damn mod done and leave the rest of the modders to do their thing.
It's as done as it'll ever be baby ;)

And in all fairness i'm totally not a doomsayer but reality check it for a minute will you? It's 9 years now ...

...hmm you think we should wait till 2010 till we release? Make it a special date?

Syke ;)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

People are still modding Doom, Freespace 2, and Half-Life. All of which are older than DX.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
r00tb33r
MJ12

Post by r00tb33r »

Jonas wrote:People are still modding Doom, Freespace 2, and Half-Life. All of which are older than DX.
Perhaps I'd like to see same thing happen to Deus Ex as whats going on with Half-Life in Black Mesa mod.
And they are doing everything in that single mod. Perhaps when Deus Ex 3 will come out, a new wave of Deus Ex 1 modding will hit and the game will be finally properly remastered as a whole.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Black Mesa Source has the following advantages over this community:
  • They're modding Half-Life 1 into Half-Life 2 - the games are quite similar, and all the gameplay mechanics from the first are contained within the second.
  • Half-Life has far simpler gameplay (including level design). The levels are linear, the inventory is more straight-forward (you either have it or you don't), there are no augs, no interactive dialogue, etc.
  • The Half-Life community is larger because Valve supports their modders far far better. This means there's a larger group to recruit from.
  • Half-Life 1/2 modding offers a distinct opportunity to get hired by Valve, so with a project as high profile as this, it's even easier to get people to contribute.
And they've still worked on that project for years with no end in sight. I trust they'll finish it, but not this year - and probably not next year either.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
r00tb33r
MJ12

Post by r00tb33r »

Jonas wrote:
  • Half-Life has far simpler gameplay (including level design). The levels are linear, the inventory is more straight-forward (you either have it or you don't), there are no augs, no interactive dialogue, etc.
Sure... HL doesn't have those things, but those don't affect the creation of visual content in any way. Complexity of inventory has no effect on level poly count. All those things are game script, and do not restrict what can be done when modeling the game, and the original game script can be used if you are working within the same engine (sure you might have to replace some object names throughout the script but that's quite trivial).