Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
FrobozzDaMad
Mole Person

Re: A New Decade

Post by FrobozzDaMad »

Jonas wrote:...you're just angry at a couple of people who don't have the time to do free shit for you anymore.
FrobozzDaMad wrote:...but it's also fine if they turn over the work they've done to the general community so that other talented people with more time on their hands can finish it off in a reasonable timeframe.
Thanks for proving my point Jonas. QED

Personally, I do have a little time and depending on the amount of work and effort involved, if the project was open, I'd investigate to see how much I could help out. I'm pretty familiar with the DirectX API and am a professional programmer by trade, I'm fair with B-tree level modelers having worked on game levels since the Quake 1 days, and I'm pretty decent with Photoshop and texture creation. Since the project isn't open though, I can't make that evaluation so I sit on the sidelines frustrated like most people.

Since HDTP stopped doing progress updates though, I don't even know WHAT help they need or technical hurdles they are looking to overcome. Do they need a Modeler? An Animator? A Programmer? Someone familiar with writing installer scripts? Your guess is as good as mine.
Gahhhrrrlic
Thug

Post by Gahhhrrrlic »

Not to put too fine a point on it but this (somewhat loose) example is not 1:1. I didn't want to dwell on the details. Point is you've got an entity that chose to be in the spotlight and is neither putting out nor exercising good judgement with the assets they've made and the fanbase whith whom they're liaising. Then you've got said fanbase becoming increasingly agitated over a "big deal" that fizzled out. Say what you want about ungrateful SOBs who are too impatient to get their hands on free stuff.....this is what you get when you wave your arms in the air and then clam up, hoarding all the stuff you didn't get around to finishing.

I understand you feel a certain kinship.....that you're a friend in suffering because of your own involvement in major projects. Believe me when I say I don't intend to make light of any of this sort of thing. Whether you believe me or not, I make mods too and I didn't finish all of mine either....but when I hit a wall I asked for help or released what I had. Why should good work go to waste? In case we have different understandings of what "waste" is, I believe it is just as wasteful to hoard as it is not to relase it at all. It's not like the work is accumulating interest like money does in a bank...I don't know if enjoyment is quantifyable but these people are getting negative ROI right now. People are pissed and I don't blame them. I know what this is all about really but I know if I say it, I'm going to stir up shit with a lot of people so I think I'm done talking.
Jonas wrote:Unfortunately that example misses the mark. First of all you're not working with these people - when you're working with somebody, you're both putting in time and effort and if they don't perform as well as you, they're damaging your work hurting your mutual chances at success. You'll note you've put no time or effort in on HDTP at all - your stake in it is entirely imaginary.

Second, nobody at HDTP appears to be claiming that they're better than you or indeed anybody else. They were just the people who volunteered when the project was getting going, and they were the people who put in that time and effort over the years to get all the assets done. Now they seem to be too busy earning a living to worry about HDTP. From where I'm standing (which is the same side of the line as you are, incidentally, only I used to talk to the people on the other side, and I used to run my own mod so I know what it's like), you're not part of a choir of people fed up with the arrogance of a single person who's ruining it for everybody else, you're just angry at a couple of people who don't have the time to do free shit for you anymore.

Do you have an Internet forum? Maybe if you make one, a bunch of us can come over there and start loudly complaining that you're not making free games for us. Sure you didn't promise us you would, but we don't have to let that get in our way, as long as we're being unreasonable, we may as well commit :smile:
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

I agree completely with Gahhhrrrlic (coudn't you find a little less annoying-to-type nick, by the way? :lol: ) and FrobozzDaMad.

I am a modest modder myself and so far I always completed what I started:
(KotOR: http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefron ... xes;117498
FF VII: http://www.moddb.com/games/final-fantas ... cene-redux
Baldur's Gate: http://forums.blackwyrmlair.net/index.p ... topic=4321)

but if I ended up hitting a wall, I would do exactly what Gahhhrrrlic said. Even and not lastly because I would consider myself a rude person for choosing a different behaviour.

And there is something that you people didn't seem to consider when you make your evaluations: timing.

HDTP (and NV as well) was going to give a new fresh coat of paint to the graphics of the game. But now it's 2011 and that fresh paint (if and when it ever comes out) is not going to have the same impact anymore. HDTP team should realize that the longer the delay the more damage they do to their own project. The new graphics are seriously risking to look "old" the first day it's out.

Ultimately I am telling this not in the hope of being read by the HDTP modders or to convince any of them to do anything. I don't care about that. I am just writing to discuss this matter with people who are interested in doing it. Oh and yes, I am only child. We are usually the most spoiled.
Hashi
Silhouette

Post by Hashi »

None of this is helping me get a job, get laid or find another hobby to replace gaming
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Modding is truly the ultimate generator of internet DRAMA.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Garlic, there's a thing called good faith. On the internet, as elsewhere, things that are not in good faith tend not to fly with people who can see them for what they are. Depending on where you are talking you may do just fine swearing, or being sexually explicit, or even making personal attacks, but once you start acting in bad faith you've lost whatever right you ever had for people to take you seriously.

This:
Gahhhrrrlic wrote:I know what this is all about really but I know if I say it, I'm going to stir up shit with a lot of people so I think I'm done talking.
is bad faith. It also happens to be bullshit. It would have been more polite to just say, "I hate you all, go fuck yourselves." (Which, while rude, would only have been in bad faith if you didn't feel the emotion that tends to lead to that kind of comment.)

Saying that you're not going to mention something is only a legitimate action when it not being mentioned would be conspicuous, when it is to highlight and clearly state something worthy, or potentially worthy, of consideration that isn't addressed*, or when the thing being brought up is so well known it doesn't need to be mentioned in any kind of depth. What you did is none of those things.

Not mentioning that you "know what this is all about really" wouldn't have raised any eyebrows. To bring it up as something worthy of consideration that you were simply not getting into, you would actually have to say what it is. You didn't do that. As for the third thing, whatever the hell you're talking about is not that well known because as far as most people know "what this is all about really" is not something that is going to "stir up shit with a lot of people" if released to the public.

Saying that you won't say something when not for those reasons is a way to bring up a position, in this case an accusation, without having to support it or even acknowledge what it is. It demonstrates a lack of respect for those you are addressing and whatever you are talking about. It is rude.

It was bullshit when Cicero did it more than two thousand years ago, and it is bullshit now. Unlike you though, Cicero had some things going for him. For one thing, he was the greatest orator of his time. You're not. For another thing, he saved the Roman Empire, almost single handedly. (Recall that the people he gave his speeches to were Romans.) If you have saved our civilization, I am unaware of it. Also, the people he used it against, Cataline for example, tended to have done something not necessarily to deserve it but which would make an onlooker understand why he was using such an uncivil attack against them (such as planning bloody revolution that would include lighting Rome on fire with the Romans still in it.) If the HDTP team is planning on committing mass murder, I have not heard of it.

What you did is never right, but historically it has sometimes been given a pass. That pass has to be earned. You have not earned it, nor have you given any evidence that the HDTP team has done anything horrible enough to merit it being used against them.

Why should anyone listen to you when you're clearly arguing in bad faith?

-

* Some examples I just made up: "Because my focus is on the social aspects of the law, I will not discuss its effect on the budget," or, "Many have focused on the character of those involved, but my interest is solely in the actions taken," or, "It may prove that synergistic effects are more important, but this paper deals only with how each element behaves in isolation."
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Wasn't Cicero technically saying he wouldn't mention something, only to orate for hours on end about nothing but this subject?
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

He did that too, which is a more straightforward example of apophasis (or praeteritio if you prefer that term), but I was thinking more about things along the lines of, "and other crimes too numerous to mention," or "I won't get into the evidence now," which bring up the idea that a thing exits, and lay the accusation out there for all to see, without ever having to state what it is or back it up.

So, for an actual example, in the first Oration against Catiline he says that after Catiline killed one wife to make room for another he committed some other crime, but Cicero never says what that other crime is. He just says, "... nonne etiam alio incredibili scelere hoc scelus cumulavisti? quod ego praetermitto et facile patior sileri, ne in hac civitate tanti facinoris immanitas aut exstitisse aut non vindicata esse videatur." Quick and dirty translation: "... didn't you also add another unbelievable crime to that crime? Which I now pass by to be endured in silence, lest such a great crime seem to have existed or gone unpunished in this, so great a state."

In other words: I know what happened, but I'm not going to say it because it would stir up some shit if I did.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Cicero was the subject of our Latin exam (the Pro Caelio to be precise), so I know what you mean. Though I am by no means an expert at Latin or Cicero.
FrobozzDaMad
Mole Person

Post by FrobozzDaMad »

Good faith or bad faith, the argument stands; the HDTP community was led on for these last couple years in good faith by the HDTP development team that the project was "almost done". Now, the community is arguing the HDTP team is acting in bad faith for their silence on this matter due to the extended period of time and is demanding an explanation because of growing non-confidence.

While Garlic may have posted in bad faith, in a serious discussion, derailing the existing argument with a nitpicking of someone's comment and a needless history lesson on a Roman master of character assassination is worse.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

FrobozzDaMad wrote:...in a serious discussion, derailing the existing argument with a nitpicking of someone's comment and a needless history lesson on a Roman master of character assassination is worse.
Welcome to Off Topic Productions.
Please enjoy your stay
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

FrobozzDaMad wrote:While Garlic may have posted in bad faith, in a serious discussion, derailing the existing argument with a nitpicking of someone's comment and a needless history lesson on a Roman master of character assassination is worse.
I'm wondering what you think of as a history lesson. My response to gamer0004, one of gamer0004's posts, or my post that came before those which was entirely about Garlic's toxic rhetoric?

Regardless, how we treat each other does matter. This conversation can be civil, or it can be how Garlic would have it. Which we choose does matter for the discussion because it has an effect on how the discussion plays out. Further, what tactics one chooses to use does matter when deciding what stock to put into what that person says.*

That said, your nitpicking of my post in the middle of a serious discussion is noted. As is the fact the proportion of your post discussing Cicero was strikingly similar to the proportion of my response to Garlic that mentioned Cicero. I shall think on both if it will make you a happier and more contented person.
Now, the community is arguing the HDTP team is acting in bad faith
How large is the community and what gives you personally the right to say what the community is doing? Were you elected spokesperson?

Is Jonas a part of the community? Certainly he isn't a member of the HDTP team, and he has been following their progress and awaiting the mod's release. Unless I've missed something he seems to be following their progress more closely than you. Does he qualify as a member of the community? What about Hashi?
FrobozzDaMad wrote:Since HDTP stopped doing progress updates though, I don't even know WHAT help they need or technical hurdles they are looking to overcome. Do they need a Modeler? An Animator? A Programmer? Someone familiar with writing installer scripts? Your guess is as good as mine.
Well unless progress has magically be moving backwards in the past five months, the answer is that they don't need a modler, they don't need a programmer, and they don't need someone familiar with writing installer scripts. As of the last progress report, which was five months ago yesterday, what remained to be done was first person animations which, as of five months and one day ago, were being done. Slowly, for it is a slow process. Again, as of five months and one day ago.

This information is nothing new. It has been freely available for anyone who might be interested for the past five months. Five months and one day.

Why would you ask if they need a Modeler?**

It might be worthwhile to ask if the animations are still being worked on, and if they are not offering to help with that if you have the necessary skills (remember, model animations, not texture animations) but to say that we haven't been told where the remaining work lies is either disingenuous or indicative of the fact that you haven't been paying attention. I think the second is more likely, you've said that you only come here once a year after all.

That brings me to my main point. You come here "maybe once a year" and when you came this time you apparently didn't bother to read the first few threads. What gives you the right to speak for the entire community and say what the community is doing? Because from where I sit the community seems to generally be pretty quiet. Most of the community that I have observed in my more than once a year visits doesn't come out unless a truly prolific troll gets on their nerves. Those members that do come out more often seem to include several people who are not in any way arguing that the HDTP team is acting in bad faith.

-

* For a hopefully noncontroversial example, if someone were to choose to make use of lies, others would be perfectly reasonable in requiring an higher burden of proof than usual to accept claims that person made.

** And since when is "Modeler" capitalized when not at the start of a sentence? Has it always been this way and I just haven't noticed?
Gahhhrrrlic
Thug

Post by Gahhhrrrlic »

Chris, as much as I enjoyed your documentary I can't help but tell you it was unnecessary because I said what I said on purpose, if for no other reason than to elicit the exact same response you gave (minus the history) from someone on the team. I would have gladly been explicit from the beginning but I figured if I could get one of them talking, this would be a far more productive discussion, even if a negative one.

..and you don't need to paint me as something I'm not. No doubt you disagree with me, no doubt you don't like what I'm saying but I'm not being irrate or toxic. I'm not fouling up the forum. It is in fact ironic that this forum has atrophied to a point where the desirable sort of project traffic is so low that the only stimulation it ever gets is from pointless banter or negative feedback coming from someone like myself, which has been branded as taboo (unofficially). So many times, HDTP popped into my head after months and months of not thinking of it at all. Time and time again I was disappointed to find cobwebs collecting where there ought to be active discussion and the dumbest form of quasi-conversation on the internet, appending 10 page threads about something seemingly germaine to the project. I guess I'm trying to point out that even if the project isn't technically dead, everything else is...and isn't that the most tragic consequence of all?

And Chris, I think your obsessive-compulsive writing style, with the footnotes, over-attention to detail and excessive literalization is a bit much. You don't need to rebut this (unless you want to) but I just thought I'd point it out.
Hashi
Silhouette

Post by Hashi »

lol @ fools repeating themselves
BoggyP
NSF

Post by BoggyP »

Does anyone know what kind of progress they've made over these months? Have they finished half, a quarter, a tenth or a hundredth of what had to be done?