Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Solid_Choke
UNATCO

Early Beta Release?

Post by Solid_Choke »

I was wondering if it might be a wise idea to release another beta version of HDTP in the next month or so in order to drum up support and/or help advertise for more help with the project. I fear that many people are not as interested as they would be in the project because it appears to be dead or hopeless. I think a mid-production release would benefit the project. What do you guys think? Also it could make the final release of higher quality because things like the installer could be more polished and more bugs could be found and fixed. Thoughts?
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I believe it would not be wise for these reasons:

1. HDTP already has an initial release. With that, HDTP proved that it's task was doable and that they had made considerable progress in completing the task already.

2. A release before large changes from the first release would downplay the progress (as it would be hard to see), and a final release tweaking this potential beta release would also be anticlimactic.

3. A limited beta release between project members and associates would solve the installer bugs that caused some issues with the original release. That installer proved that it worked, but also that there were more possible configurations than anticipated.

4. HDTP does not appear to be dead or hopeless. It's made a release already, and progress is being made. What makes you feel that it is dead?
Solid_Choke
UNATCO

Post by Solid_Choke »

justanotherfan wrote:I believe it would not be wise for these reasons:

1. HDTP already has an initial release. With that, HDTP proved that it's task was doable and that they had made considerable progress in completing the task already.

2. A release before large changes from the first release would downplay the progress (as it would be hard to see), and a final release tweaking this potential beta release would also be anticlimactic.

3. A limited beta release between project members and associates would solve the installer bugs that caused some issues with the original release. That installer proved that it worked, but also that there were more possible configurations than anticipated.

4. HDTP does not appear to be dead or hopeless. It's made a release already, and progress is being made. What makes you feel that it is dead?
I don't believe the project is dead I was merely pointing out that because nothing is being released it might appear to outsiders like it isn't going anywhere. I think the added exposure of a new release could get enough interest to make the final push to completion (perhaps with a few extra members). Also I think getting the installer correct for as many configurations as possible should not be downplayed. The ease of installation could make or break the user experience with this mod. The complications of the Steam release and such need to be worked out 100%. I do agree that a limited "insiders only" beta release could solve most of these problems but a public beta is the best way to advertise for extra team members that I can think of. Any other thoughts?
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Or you just want to play with the toy yourself. Metche will no doubt tell us when the final release will be ready so please just wait until then :D.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Yeah, I want to play with the shiny toy. A new screenshot of something cool would be awesome.

I think another release could be distracting, since it's dealing with users rather than continuing the main work. There can always be a 2.0 release with bugs fixed, though I agree that another beta could make the next release more reliable.

I think the previous release generated a lot of interest, but I'm not sure if many more people volunteered. I did use that as an argument for the first release though. I think that everyone still in the DX community now knows of HDTP, and that anyone who still plays DX is using the HDTP mod. Publicity is easy to generate on the internet, digg and slashdot etc, and I think that a major HDTP release could get listed on both. HDTP has already been mentioned in print media.

I said it before in a couple other threads, but when release dates kept being missed, and things were so quiet that no one posted on the forums for a month, and it turned into years without a release, I kinda lost the faith. Then there was a release, Phase 1. Faith is unnecessary now; they've done it once, they'll do it again.
~Psychotic~
Silhouette

Post by ~Psychotic~ »

I personally, don't think a new release is wise. I'm prepared to wait for something this good -- I've check out the first release, and it looks fucking awesome.

The only thing I would think could be updated/added would be more screenshots.
When I was younger I knew a motherfucker like you!
Solid_Choke
UNATCO

Post by Solid_Choke »

~Psychotic~ wrote:I personally, don't think a new release is wise. I'm prepared to wait for something this good -- I've check out the first release, and it looks fucking awesome.

The only thing I would think could be updated/added would be more screenshots.
Okay you guys make good points. Can we all agree on more screen captures then?
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Heh, that's like voting on lower taxes or free candy. Yes, more screenshots and progress info ;). When HDTP members have time, I hope they post screenshots, and I assume that they don't have time when things are quiet.

Screenshots don't make a release come sooner, and they might actually delay things when developers take screenshots instead of work on new things, but they are nice to see. Screenshots generate discussion, and I like that, but I think that some prefer it to happen after the final release.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I'm thinking you'll get some screenshots prior to release, but I would think releasing them too early would destroy the hype factor. The idea is to drive everyone into a frenzy about the game so that it becomes the "it" thing to talk about. Besides judging by what metche has said we should see some results by the end of the year (being optimistic here).

Just be patient please.
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

I don't think there's frenzy anywhere at the moment. Actually our German discussion thread is dead and as long as you don't follow every little clue you can get from Metche it is understandable. Without new screenshots there's little to discuss. HDTP is nothing your fantasy could go crazy about or something like that, it's more like the opposite . They show something, we discuss it - not the other way 'round.
Last edited by fox on Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

They show something, we discuss it
thats how its done. I don't think HDTP really needs a frenzy yet.. it comes down to download numbers, on release it'd be nice to see over 100,000 downloads.. The only way that it'll ever reach that is if the PR reaches out across cyberspace and builds everyone into a frenzy. Thats why in order to get that, a massive release has to happen where everyone just goes nutz and starts downloading. After the inital period the hype will cool down. Thats why I advise against any new content releases to the public. Once its finnished, then BOOM! more content than you can deal with.

Well thats how I do it :P Information overload.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

I've always been a fan of "release early, release often". No point in sitting on ready material without releasing it, IMO. *shrug*
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Depends on the project :lol:
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Solid_Choke
UNATCO

Post by Solid_Choke »

I really don't think any hype is building at the moment, but I do believe with some extra screens being released that could very well happen.
~Psychotic~
Silhouette

Post by ~Psychotic~ »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:I'm thinking you'll get some screenshots prior to release, but I would think releasing them too early would destroy the hype factor. The idea is to drive everyone into a frenzy about the game so that it becomes the "it" thing to talk about.
Well it's bloody working, xD
When I was younger I knew a motherfucker like you!