Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
aragond
Mole Person

HDTP bombs running from desktop link?

Post by aragond »

Running Deus Ex using the "HDTP Release 1" link on my desktop.
Get the attached error message every time. Game runs fine if I kick it from the DE link. Looks sh!tty but works.

Am I doing it wrong?

What do?
What do?
What do?
(Should clarify: Game of the Year edition, and also have Unreal 3dDX10 mod and the shifter mod installed.)

Edit2:
The desktop link is:
"F:\Program Files (x86)\DeusEx\System\HDTP.exe" INI=F:\Program Files (x86)\DeusEx\System\HDTP.ini USERINI=F:\Program Files (x86)\DeusEx\System\HDTPUser.ini log=HDTP.log

The log contents end in:

Code: Select all

Log: Game class is 'DeusExGameInfo'
Log: Bringing Level Entry.MyLevel up for play (0)...
ScriptLog: InitGame: 
ScriptLog: Base Mutator is Entry.Mutator0
Log: Browse: DX.dx/
Init: WinSock: version 1.1 (2.2), MaxSocks=32767, MaxUdp=65467
Init: WinSock: Socket queue 32768 / 32768
Init: WinSock: I am Bobbeecroft (192.168.1.2)
Log: Resolving DX.dx...
DevNet: Game client on port 0, rate 2600
Critical: appError called:
Critical: Failed to enter DX.dx: 
Critical: Windows GetLastError: The operation completed successfully. (0)
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
Log: DirectDraw End Mode
Critical: UGameEngine::Init
Critical: XGameEngineExt::Init
Critical: DDeusExGameEngine::Init
Critical: InitEngine
Exit: Exiting.
Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
Uninitialized: Log file closed, 03/22/11 12:07:24
Edit 3:
Alright, maybe this is all a ferfy.
You need to move or copy the HDTPanim.utx file into your C:\DeusEx\Textures folder for Shifter to work properly with HDTP.
Wasn't done, though I wouldn't have though it would crash
You must also use the NORMAL Deus Ex/Shifter exe file. Do NOT run HDTP.exe or Shifter will not be running when you do!
Hmm. If so, and it was all working, shouldn't it have looked at least a little different. The Hermann guy still looked pretty low-rez.

Edit 4:
Just on DE, should it always be forgetting what video mode I keep setting it to? I keep having to reset the video settings.

Edit 5: This is never going to be answered is it? What a mess of a post. Sorry.

Edit 6: Alright, well, it all seems to be working fine. Ignore this post. I don't know whether it adds any value to keep it around since I note above how I've effective fixed it and, perhaps, this will help some other noob like me in future.
Love your work, btw, programmer/designers. And, first time playing DE, and I'm loving it.
/thread
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Re: HDTP bombs running from desktop link?

Post by DDL »

Shifter + HDTP is not done slightly differently:

The HDTP shortcut actually forces your exe to go hunting for asset packages via the HDTP folder first, so rather than loading up the core deusex.u package, with all the references to original model and texture assets, it loads the HDTP version of deusex.u, which is essentially identical in actual coding, except with all the references changed to HDTP model and texture assets instead.

What Yuki did with his shifter package is ignore all of that, and manually hunt for HDTP versions of things each time: so everytime shifter starts up, and a level loads, the game will, say, look for HDTP crate models: if it finds them, HDTP crates! If it doesn't find them, normal crates. And so on.

Also, DX error logging is notoriously unhelpful. It rarely tells you what broke it, just what caused it to finally collapse.