Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Kaiza Killa
Thug

Re: HDTP F.A.Q. (unofficial)

Post by Kaiza Killa »

Thank you for the links. I have actually been quite familiar with Mod DB over the years for other mods like Burden of 80 Proof and the like. For the time being, the mod that caught my interest the most was Revision. Hypothetically, if I were to download all three, would I need to tweak the .ini files, as you suggested, to get them to work on the one program or was that only if I wanted to run HDTP with them as well?

H+
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

No, you can get them all to work on one.
Once you've downloaded New Vision for example, instead of overwriting the original files, just put them into a separate folder in the \DeusEx folder (I called mine NewVision but it doesn't matter) and then added this line to the .ini, 'Paths=..\NewVision\*.utx', before all the other 'Path=' lines.

Obviously, if you called it something different the line would be different. Also, this can be applied to any .ini file for any .exe.
If you installed Revision first and wanted to add New Vision to that, you would just add the above line into the Revision.ini.

At the end of it, with Shifter, New Vision, HDTP and Revision installed, my DeusEx.ini looked like this;

Code: Select all

[Core.System]
PurgeCacheDays=30
SavePath=..\Save
CachePath=..\Cache
CacheExt=.uxx
Paths=..\Revision\System\*.u
Paths=..\Revision\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..\Revision\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\Revision\Sounds\*.uax
Paths=..\HDTP\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..\HDTP\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\Shifter\System\*.u
Paths=..\Shifter\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\HDTP\System\*.u
Paths=..\NewVision\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\System\*.u
Paths=..\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\Sounds\*.uax
Paths=..\Music\*.umx
I did screw around with the files a little bit so I'm not sure if that'd work 'out of the box' for you. No harm in playing around with files though and this way, the only thing you'd need to back up is the .ini. And even then the only thing you're adding is a bunch of 'Path=' lines.

EDIT: Oh! Perhaps I should add that I put Shifter into a separate folder; '\DeusEx\Shifter\System' instead of overwriting the original files in the System folder.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Kaiza Killa
Thug

Post by Kaiza Killa »

I am quite green when it comes to playing around with files and et cetera but I will likely be giving your suggestion a go once university is over for this semester as I am playing through Deus Ex yet again but would like to get a whole new experience from it. I think I'll just name the separate folders as the names of the mods, as you suggested, as this way I can keep a track of what I have added and what I haven't.

Edit: Referring mainly to the Revision mod, in the download category, the most up to date download is "Deus Ex Revision Demo 1.3". Despite the use of the word "demo" that implies otherwise is this, for all intents and purposes, the final version?

H+
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Kaiza Killa wrote:Edit: Referring mainly to the Revision mod, in the download category, the most up to date download is "Deus Ex Revision Demo 1.3". Despite the use of the word "demo" that implies otherwise is this, for all intents and purposes, the final version?
Yeah, It is the latest version.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Hiei-
Mole Person

Post by Hiei- »

Sorry to post abou that, but...

I installed Deus Ex (last version : 1.112). I installed "New Vision 1.5" and HDTP release 1, then beta 1 and everything was working fine.

Then I installed the beta 2 and the game now give me an error : "Can't find Package in the file 'Package HDTPanim.Effects'".

I tried to install the beta 3 thinking it would maybe fix the error but it's still here.

I found on google someone who asked for this problem but then answered "nevermind, found out" but without explaining how he did so it's not really useful for me.

Is there a file missing somewhere in my directory? Probably in "HDTP\Textures"? I only have one file there, "HDTPanim.utx" (which seems to come from release 1 as the file wasn't in the three beta zipped archives.

Thanks a lot!

Edit : After some tests, the error appears with the file "HDTPItems.u" from beta 2.

I also get a similar error when I install beta 3.

Edit 2 : I finally managed to get it working, by copying the files in both directories for each of them, "\System\" and "\HDTP\System\" ; "\Textures" and "\HDTP\Textures\". Now, I have the "in-game" menu and the new characters textures.

I also installed "New Vision 1.5" after (I installed it before during my first try), dunno if it changed something.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Nope, what you did is just right.

Some of the decos use a few animated textures (the phone, the burning barrel etc), and so we needed to make a .utx for that.

However, DX seems incredibly inconsistent about where it wants this .utx to be: for me, it seems fine in deusex\textures, others have reported it HAS to be in deusex\HDTP\textures. Hence my comments in the readme as to just..putting in whichever of these two locations the game actually is happy with.
Hiei-
Mole Person

Post by Hiei- »

Yeah, but it seems it wasn't enough, I also had to copy the .u files in both directories.

But whatever, as long as it works :giggle: I might try to remove some .u files later by curiosity, to see if the ones in the HDTP directory is enough (though the first release of HDTP put some .u files in the default system directory.

I just checked Kentie's launcher and from what is written in it, in my configuration, it only search files in "\NewVision\" and "HDTP" directories so the HDTP .u files I put in the default system directory seems useless (I removed them and I still have the new characters face).

The first time, I installed "New Vision" first, then "HDTP" and the second time, I did the contrary, maybe that what helped.

Thanks for your answer.

By the way, is it possible to use HDTP last beta and Shifter as the same time? I don't think so, but just to be sure (Shifter give a DeusEx.u file but HDTP beta 3 also give one. Is the "DeusEx.u" given with HDTP beta 3 really required to make it work?). But I can play without Shifter, that's just out of curiosity.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

Is the "DeusEx.u" given with HDTP beta 3 really required to make it work?). But I can play without Shifter, that's just out of curiosity.
I think its only used to have the menu setting on what characters you want HDTP or not. If you don't use it, won't all the characters be HDTP, meaning MJ12 Troops will crash the game if you use HDTP without its modified DeusEx.u?
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
DDL

Post by DDL »

No, deusex.u is where ALL the HDTP code is implemented. Without it you have nothing (except that which shifter has already implemented).

All the other stuff is the actual assets, but without the code to tell the game when and where to use those assets, they're just going to sit there unused.
Hiei-
Mole Person

Post by Hiei- »

Okay, it was just to know, so no shifter with the last beta, I'll play without it :)

Thanks for your answer.
SolidSnakePlissken
Mole Person

Post by SolidSnakePlissken »

Hiei- wrote:Okay, it was just to know, so no shifter with the last beta, I'll play without it :)

Thanks for your answer.
did you not read what nerdenstein posted? all you have to do is put shifter in a different folder and load it.

I have the latest and greatest everything and this is how mine is loaded

Paths=..\New Vision\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\Shifter\System\*.u
Paths=..\Gore Mod v2.0\System\*.u
Paths=..\Revision\System\*.u
Paths=..\Revision\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..\Revision\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\Revision\Sounds\*.uax
Paths=..\HDTP\System\*.u
Paths=..\HDTP\Textures\*.utx

These are all the default location when you install them bare bones with the exception of shifter, which you have to actually READ the advanced instructions.