Are the new character models not included? I don't see em.

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Re: Are the new character models not included? I don't see e

Post by DDL »

Possible, yes. Feasible..no. It'd still involve making, rigging and animating a good 15 or so character meshes, so that's a ton of work, and we'd then need to make textures for 80 or so models, generally three or four per model.

And there are maybe five of us still alive and willing.

But it's not like "knowing how to do all this shit" is a skill that you lose, so I suspect one or several of us will always be around to help import stuff in future if some crazy, crazy motherfuckers decide to take on the task.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

If you figured out a good workflow updating the original character meshes could be fairly simple - you could just take them through a program like ZBrush and paint on some generic detail, smooth out some areas etc. - but you'd need higher res textures to go with it, I think, otherwise the effect would be mostly lost.

Or you could get a TruForm hack and update the textures, but that would be a lot of work given how many variants there are per character model.
Nameless Voice
UNATCO

Post by Nameless Voice »

Understandable.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

'fraid so: vanilla DX used maybe..15 character meshes, to represent every single person in the game. Did you know Joseph fucking manderly uses the same mesh as JC and Paul? S'true!
Never thought about it, what about Tobie Atawnwie (or however you spell his name) and Smuggler?, didn't bother checking.
We can't get away with this: our meshes are so detailed they could only belong to the character they're intended to represent. Anna and Gunther actually have their augs modelled on: reskin them and...you've got a creepy looking reskin fail. Hell, we can't even get away with using anna's mesh for jordan shae, because ms. shae only lost her damn arms, and the anna mesh has a big ol' eye aug.

So. Given that there are..*thinks* fuck, probably over a hundred unique characters in DX (ok, 95 or so actually), this would require 95 or so unique meshes, all of which would require jumping through the same horrible fucking hoops we've been jumping through just to get this far (seriously, it's like jumping through hoops on fire, using a springboard made from broken glass. Also the hoops are made of laminated dogshit).

So given that folks want HDTP soon (or, apparently five years ago, if some angry internet men are to be believed), rather than in twelve years' time....we're putting in the number of characters we have, not the number of characters we'd necessarily like.

Mind you, we prioritised characters you'd see a lot of (i.e. MJ12 troops and UNATCO peeps), so hopefully it won't be too jarring too often. After all, can you really imagine some poor bastard sitting down and spending upward of 100 man-hours creating, texturing and then animating Sarah Mead? She's in one map, and she's fucking annoying even then...
Besides major main NPCs (and those that use major NPCs meshes such as JCs mesh on Manderly), I really don't see the need to have seperate meshes for everyone, just one for each type (GF_SuitSkirt or GM_Suit etc...) and better textures. I mean whats the point of having one mesh for every bum or every generic style female or male that just need different textures and are not a major NPCs mesh that would require a separate mesh? Besides Major NPC meshes and those NPCs that would use those textures, why would you need separate meshes for everyone else instead of using the same mesh but different textures for each NPC like the originals? Is there something I am missing? Why would you need a unique mesh for say a female scientist or a male with GM_Suit as a mesh (Hunley in Versalife and the guy who runs the Lucky Money club are two that use the same mesh but I can't see why they would need new meshes)?
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

DDL wrote:'fraid so: vanilla DX used maybe..15 character meshes, to represent every single person in the game. Did you know Joseph fucking manderly uses the same mesh as JC and Paul? S'true!

They could get away with this because the meshes are pretty low detail, and thus allow for a lot of purely texture-based "imagineering".

We can't get away with this: our meshes are so detailed they could only belong to the character they're intended to represent. Anna and Gunther actually have their augs modelled on: reskin them and...you've got a creepy looking reskin fail. Hell, we can't even get away with using anna's mesh for jordan shae, because ms. shae only lost her damn arms, and the anna mesh has a big ol' eye aug.

So. Given that there are..*thinks* fuck, probably over a hundred unique characters in DX (ok, 95 or so actually), this would require 95 or so unique meshes, all of which would require jumping through the same horrible fucking hoops we've been jumping through just to get this far (seriously, it's like jumping through hoops on fire, using a springboard made from broken glass. Also the hoops are made of laminated dogshit).

So given that folks want HDTP soon (or, apparently five years ago, if some angry internet men are to be believed), rather than in twelve years' time....we're putting in the number of characters we have, not the number of characters we'd necessarily like.
I seriously hope all the haters see the above quote. It might stop them whining for 5 minutes about how long this mod is taking and appreciate the amount of work being put into it.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.