Are the new character models not included? I don't see em.

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
DarkPhoenix
NSF

Are the new character models not included? I don't see em.

Post by DarkPhoenix »

I was looking to see if anyone made new character models for Deus Ex and found this: http://www.moddb.com/mods/project-hdtp

I do have Gunther but I dont see any others like the new Paul shown on this modDB page -( I'm assuming i should have seen the new character model in the opening scene of that game)

Are they not included yet?
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Re: Are the new character models not included? I don't see e

Post by chris the cynic »

You are correct, they are not included in the currently available release.
DarkPhoenix
NSF

Post by DarkPhoenix »

I was hoping I'd missed something. Bummer dude!

Thanks.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Hey DarkPhoenix. Release 1 does not include the new characters; Gunther is more of a demo. We've been told that it's been some time since the characters were completed, so hopefully they'll all be available soon.

I'm afraid the ModDB page is kept Obsolete To Teh Max! 2006 was half a decade ago, and the page doesn't present what HDTP has been doing since.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Both the Textures and Models are done, this I can confirm. The only thing thats missing is the animations- this is why it was left out of the beta (because unlike Gunther who had working animations, everyone else didn't).

As to the status.. well I've not seen the senior members of HDTP in some time, I'm not sure if they could be contacted about it or not.
Akerfeldt
UNATCO

Post by Akerfeldt »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:As to the status.. well I've not seen the senior members of HDTP in some time, I'm not sure if they could be contacted about it or not.
They're done. I animated all the characters ages ago. And let me tell you, they look freakin fantastic! LIEK A BAWS!
A hole is a hole.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

that's right I remember you saying something about that. Its been ages since that happened :D.
Akerfeldt
UNATCO

Post by Akerfeldt »

Yeah that was when I first got involved with HDTP I think so that must have been 2008ish. Ohhhhhhhh how time flies when you're on drugs and working 80 hours a week
A hole is a hole.
Otaq
Mole Person

Post by Otaq »

Akerfeldt wrote:
Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:As to the status.. well I've not seen the senior members of HDTP in some time, I'm not sure if they could be contacted about it or not.
They're done. I animated all the characters ages ago. And let me tell you, they look freakin fantastic! LIEK A BAWS!
Hello everyone, after reading this and some other posts here I'm curious if there is anything in the way of releasing 'Release 2' of this mod. Since first release included models of barrels, crates and other inanimated objects it would be natural that second release would have NPC models (even if other things like guns are not finished), and you say that NPC models and their animations are done...
I'm not trying to troll here (no really I'm not), but I'd like to see these freakin' fantastic models moving on my PC.
I heard that it only needs testing for bugs. What better way to search for bugs than by massive beta testing? :)

PS. I may not be able to post a reply for some time because I faild your humanity test... I'm writing from friends computer right now.
I'm not a bot! I'm AI!
miguel
UNATCO

Post by miguel »

There is one major NPC in the demo and it looks very detailed, the animation is just a test but is complete and it does it's job.
Akerfeldt
UNATCO

Post by Akerfeldt »

Testing will be internal only, better that way anyway since we can actually fix the bugs when we finsd them.

The next release will be the final release and will include everything we have done. There will be an exhaustive list of what models have been HD-ified in the final release.
blueneptune
Mole Person

Post by blueneptune »

Do it.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Akerfeldt wrote:Testing will be internal only, better that way anyway since we can actually fix the bugs when we finsd them.

The next release will be the final release and will include everything we have done. There will be an exhaustive list of what models have been HD-ified in the final release.
You mean not all models will be in high definition when you're done?
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

'fraid so: vanilla DX used maybe..15 character meshes, to represent every single person in the game. Did you know Joseph fucking manderly uses the same mesh as JC and Paul? S'true!

They could get away with this because the meshes are pretty low detail, and thus allow for a lot of purely texture-based "imagineering".

We can't get away with this: our meshes are so detailed they could only belong to the character they're intended to represent. Anna and Gunther actually have their augs modelled on: reskin them and...you've got a creepy looking reskin fail. Hell, we can't even get away with using anna's mesh for jordan shae, because ms. shae only lost her damn arms, and the anna mesh has a big ol' eye aug.

So. Given that there are..*thinks* fuck, probably over a hundred unique characters in DX (ok, 95 or so actually), this would require 95 or so unique meshes, all of which would require jumping through the same horrible fucking hoops we've been jumping through just to get this far (seriously, it's like jumping through hoops on fire, using a springboard made from broken glass. Also the hoops are made of laminated dogshit).

So given that folks want HDTP soon (or, apparently five years ago, if some angry internet men are to be believed), rather than in twelve years' time....we're putting in the number of characters we have, not the number of characters we'd necessarily like.

Mind you, we prioritised characters you'd see a lot of (i.e. MJ12 troops and UNATCO peeps), so hopefully it won't be too jarring too often. After all, can you really imagine some poor bastard sitting down and spending upward of 100 man-hours creating, texturing and then animating Sarah Mead? She's in one map, and she's fucking annoying even then... :P
Nameless Voice
UNATCO

Post by Nameless Voice »

Would it be possible to create "generic", less detailed models which could be reskinned for all those people, or would it not be worth the effort?