Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
flib
Thug

HDTP + Deus Ex v2 patch

Post by flib »

Will the full release of HDTP install the same way as the demo, by replacing the deusex.u so it can load the custom packages, or will install in a more modular way, like NV?
As far as I can tell, it's currently impossible to run deusexv2 with the HDTP demo without making modifications to the patch to load the HDTP content, like Shifter. I'd much rather run that than Shifter.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Re: HDTP + Deus Ex v2 patch

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

For consistancy sake I hope it goes the route of NV, Its easier to get it working that way. Hopefully a current team member would have more of an insight on this though.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

I had to go look up what deusexv2 was...man, I'm outta the loop. Nice to see yuki actually got around to it tho (I was no fucking help at all).

Ok, so. There were two main ways we could've done HDTP.

Method 1 would involve naming all our stuff the same names as the originals, and simply putting the paths so that the asset search found HDTP stuff first.

Method 2 would involve recoding the core code package (deusex.u) to use our assets instead, irrespective of filenames.

Now while method 1 would've worked with deusexv2, it was not the method we chose. There were a lot of reasons for this, not least because recoding the core pack allows us a TON of extra freedom: visible weapon mods, for instance (one of my personal favourite bits) would not be possible under this method. Anything involving reskins (unatco/chinese robots, etc) would require incredibly careful UV mapping, and would generally limit the UV mappers to much shittier texture usage. Any incidences where deco textures were used in level geometry (there are a few) would have those textures replaced with the HDTP deco textures, and the two might not agree in any way (decoration textures are based on UV maps, so a 16x16 texture will map over a decoration in exactly the same way as a 1024x1024 texture would, whereas level geometry textures change scaling with tex size).

So...the tl:dr version is, no. HDTP won't work with v2.

However, we are intending to release the uncompiled files too (though really you could extract most of the assets pretty easily anyway), and it took yuki next to no time to make shifter work with HDTP, so I see no real problems with dxv2 getting HDTPified fairly shortly after release. For the most part I suspect dxv2 changes superclasss files, like deusexweapon and deusexplayer, and missionscripts, whereas most of the business end of HDTP happens in the subclasses (weaponpistol, jcdentonmale, etc), so a lot of it would just be C&P work.

:)
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

That makes a lot of sense now. I was wondering why HDTP was only 2 files lol.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

I'll probably be making my Deus Ex 2.0 offshoot mod-patch-thingy HDTP-compliant in the near future, for what it's worth. It doesn't seem like it'll take much work to reverse-engineer Yuki's code and do a copy-and-paste job... just a lot of copying and pasting!