time to shake Unreal 1 engine?

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.

Is it time the project moved to Unreal 2 engine or higher?

yay
53%
nay
47%

Total votes: 17
r00tb33r
MJ12

Post by r00tb33r »

Coming from the 3dRealms forum... Saw the DNF teaser shot of the video coming out tomorrow. Sure we have all seen alot of both bogus speculations and plain pranks... But this isn't April. So anyway, Duke seems to suffer the same illness as HDTP version of JC, <punmode> small nose </punmode>.
Anyway I wonder which one will be out first. Sure, HDTP had a release 1 but I'm talking about the final release.
The thread seems to have exploded since my last post. Yay gave people something to fight about. Merry Christmas LOLz.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I wanted to bring up the art debate again.. as an industry we have to keep talking about it.. not talking about it means the assholes win! :P
r00tb33r
MJ12

Post by r00tb33r »

OMFG I ALMOST CRIED... WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME???
Anyway the so called teaser is up on their site. I guess I'll play it when its out...
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

you are slow this is old news
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Posted weeks ago, and there's an appropriate two topics about it. Stop bringing up unrelated topics here, please (what does DNF have to do with HDTP or Deus Ex in general?)
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

.. I did warn everyone this would happen :D
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

ZylonBane wrote:
Jonas wrote:Spore isn't even out yet, it may very well suck as much as The Sims.
Wow, Maxis would just HATE that. :roll:
Way to completely miss the point.
EER wrote:Especially if it would be an economic failure of the same magnitude as the sims...
ET TU, ERIK!?

In reply to the rest of the art debate: You seem to think art cannot be entertainment and that entertainment cannot be art. You seem to believe that art cannot make sense or tell a good story or be a fun experience. You seem to presume that art can only be the sort of works that people with too much money will pay 10,000 dollars for.

I don't agree. I think I can be just as moved by entertainment as I can by the paintings of the old masters, and I think I can be just as entertained by a nonsensical Buñuel film as I can by a Hollywood blockbuster. I believe Edward Munch's The Scream was just as much art before it was worth several millions as it is today. As long as we can't agree on the definition of art (and indeed this is always the problem that comes up in discussions of games as art), we will not be able to agree on calling games art or not.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I make a point of not getting distracted by 'the point'.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

The very definition of art is ambiguous and IMO is just another way of over valuing something. Entertainment can be able to reach just as Art can, my issue was with the fact that the Cultures that seek to contain it from the public.. this is where I find ART to be a pile of crap. I can't just walk into a private Art gallery for instance since a majority of the time I get dirty looks (its happened). Funnily enough its the same look the EB cashiers give me when I tell them to take their trade ins up their own ass for a change. What I don't want to see is a video game industry built on Smugness and thats where I am worried it is heading.

I wasn't debating that games can't reach that same level of emotion ect.. they can, I mean MGS clearly does, Final Fantasy yep we can go on and on.. They can be just as intense and good as Art.. that doesn't mean they should be classified as it though.. since when you legitimize something you begin to really exclude people.

It's merely the culture associated with Art that I am worried about.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:What I don't want to see is a video game industry built on Smugness and thats where I am worried it is heading.
Oh you don't have to worry about that, the video game industry is by now solidly built on $$$ and that's not likely to ever change.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

thats what I am worried About since that is a prerequisite for smugness
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Nah you can be plenty smug without having any money. Trust me.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

hehehe good one
john00
NSF

Re: time to shake Unreal 1 engine?

Post by john00 »

Another benefit of using a fitness hammock is that it can help improve balance and stability. When performing exercises on the hammock, you need to engage your core muscles to maintain your balance. Over time, this can lead to improved balance and stability, which can help prevent falls and injuries. https://fithammock.com/best-hammock-stand/