Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Re: HDTP beta

Post by DDL »

Anim wise, the pistol and the sniper both have significantly improved animations (in my mind), actual clip ejection, clip reinsertion and chambering a round (or whatever it's called. I don't know guns. It looks cool anyway). Previous versions were essentially "do something", then "jiggle weapon at the bottom of the screen of indeterminate length of time, as if JC is using a gun to masturbate with", followed by "bring gun back up".

The latter approach did however mean that the jiggly bit in the middle could be repeated as necessary based on reload speed, though. I considered splitting the anims for the pistol/rifle up into segments, but since they don't actually feature any 'jiggle at bottom of screen' moments, it didn't really work.

What I've done is more or less assign an arbitrary bool to the pistol and rifle (since there's actually no way for the code to distinguish between a weapon that doesn't have a reloadbegin animation because it just doesn't, and one that doesn't have one because it's integrated the entire series into a single lengthier reload sequence), so that the code now simply applies the reloadtime modifications to the animation speed of the entire sequence. It looks a trifle frantic if you have max reload mods, max weaponskill and are running augtarget, kinda like this dude, but it does mean mods actually work.
Seegtease
Mole Person

Post by Seegtease »

revel911 wrote:Is this the silent weapon or the hand issue people were talking about?

Or neither?

http://tinypic.com/r/25aj9zl/6
Registered just to point out the solution to this problem... since it didn't seem to be mentioned here at all.

This only happens when loading from a save file. It seems the texture is trying to read from the wrong spot or something. If you drop the weapon and pick it back up, the new weapon textures comes up and the glitch is gone.

So yeah, you need to either drop all your stuff and pick it up again, or just start from a new game when using this, otherwise you wind up with that wacky graphical error. Perhaps loading a new map solves it too, not sure, didn't try.
DDL

Post by DDL »

If by loading a save file, you mean "a previous save file that didn't use HDTP", then yes: I imagine you might see this. The gamestate might remember the meshes of all your equipped items (i.e. non-HDTP meshes), rather than loading them all up from scratch. Dropping/picking up a weapon essentially spawns a copy and then deletes the original (inventory code is silly), so that'd then get the new textures in play.
Hanfling
MJ12

Post by Hanfling »

DDL wrote:Dropping/picking up a weapon essentially spawns a copy and then deletes the original (inventory code is silly), so that'd then get the new textures in play.
Unless it was not changed in hdtp, this is not true. An inventory copy is just spawned in multiplayer, and not in singleplayer.
I demand my DXE User ID back. Launcher for DeusEx, Rune, Nerf, Unreal & Botpack. HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam.
Seegtease
Mole Person

Post by Seegtease »

DDL wrote:If by loading a save file, you mean "a previous save file that didn't use HDTP", then yes: I imagine you might see this. The gamestate might remember the meshes of all your equipped items (i.e. non-HDTP meshes), rather than loading them all up from scratch. Dropping/picking up a weapon essentially spawns a copy and then deletes the original (inventory code is silly), so that'd then get the new textures in play.
Yes, that is what I did, and deduced why it happened (the same as you say).

Just wanted people to know, because it's not totally unlikely that other people may do the same thing (start playing, then decide to update the graphics). Maybe the readme should include such a warning.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Are the HDTP meshes regular meshes or LodMeshes? If not them optimizations could be made to increase performance.

kocmo figured out that around 20% of the time that's spent in Render.dll is done when lighting surface meshes, so more aggressive lod might be better. Also it does one polygon at each draw call, so things become slow when you throw a lot of actors with a lot of surfaces on it.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
DDL

Post by DDL »

I no longer have any idea which thread people are replying to. I'm not sure why you're asking about mesh lighting but for the record, all HDTP meshes are LODmeshes, though I did have to adjust the LOD scaling on some of them to avoid really ugly artefacts (the computerpersonal was particularly bad: the screen sort of folded in on itself slowly as you walked away).
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Hmm, now that you mention it Trashcan3 does that, will probably need some adjustments.

We are trying to make Revision more stable, thus we are investigating a crash in Render.dll and are also reverse-engineering it to see if it's possible to make it faster/less crashy. But good to know.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

In testing I noticed that WeaponAssaultShotgun doesn't muzzleflash on the last bullet in the clip.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

bjorn98009_91 wrote:In testing I noticed that WeaponAssaultShotgun doesn't muzzleflash on the last bullet in the clip.
@DDL: that recoil bug fix for the last bullet in a clip I sent you fixes this also. At least it isn't happening for me anyway, and I assume that to be the cause.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Oh, found another thing. The UI textures are not masked, you can see the black background in the Setting menu texture, in vanilla it's not present. Probably a translucency issue.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Is DaveyBoy going to make new textures? Would be cool to get the complete set of book/newspaper textures. Also put in a check in InformationDevices to check if the text package is DeusExText before trying to load a HDTP texture for it.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Just noticed that BoneSkull hasn't got the HDTP texture set in it's defaultproperties. What is the fucking chance that someone would find such a bug? :P
DDL

Post by DDL »

Ok, lot of information there.

UI textures: which UI textures, in which menus?

Boneskull: will investigate

New textures for books? I was under the impression that daveyboy had covered all of them? I'll look into package checking, but the system I have at the moment is set up to just try everything and simply default back to normal if it can't find a match: I figured this way people could incorporate their own book/newspaper textures in future and it'd integrate, but I can change this if you think it's a problem.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

The new textures for MenuSettings and MenuScreenHDTP. If you look at a bright surface and open the settings menu you can see that it has a black background, compared to MenuMain or the vanilla MenuSettings that is translucent. I can screenshot if needed. Not sure where the issue lies though.

I was under the impression that he was not, perhaps I'm mistaken. I'll look into it and post if I find InformationDevices without textures.
Since it loads from HDTP packages it would be hard to incorporate our own textures, unless I'm getting it wrong.