Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
stn
Mole Person

Require Some Help :(

Post by stn »

Hey guys, a few things...

Thanks so much for making HDTP! I'm really eager to experience it but am having some issues. I installed the CD version of Deus-Ex: Game of the Year Edition. Ran it once, exited. Installed Project HDTP. Ran Deus-Ex again, nothing has happened. Am I missing something obvious? I want to get this to work so bad, DX is one of my favorite games ever. Sadly I'm not knowledgeable with computers and this stuff at all. There's also that New Vision mod I'd like to try, but this is giving me enough issues, lol.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Running it on Win 7, Radeon HD 4200. 8+GB of RAM.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: Require Some Help :(

Post by bobby 55 »

Does your ini have the lines in bold type?:
[Core.System]
PurgeCacheDays=30
SavePath=..\Save
CachePath=..\Cache
CacheExt=.uxx
Suppress=DevLoad
Suppress=DevSave
Suppress=DevNetTraffic
Suppress=DevGarbage
Suppress=DevKill
Suppress=DevReplace
Suppress=DevSound
Suppress=DevCompile
Suppress=DevBind
Suppress=DevBsp
Paths=..\HDTP\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\HDTP\System\*.u
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

stn wrote:Installed Project HDTP. Ran Deus-Ex again, nothing has happened. Am I missing something obvious?
the original installer put an HDTP.EXE and a few other assorted things on your system, essentially installing like a regular mod (eg TNM, ZODIAC). You will need to run it through that short-cut to get the new graphics. Otherwise, your INI file for whatever you are running will need to be modified as bobby 55 indicates. This goes for any other game-play mods you run as well.

Running a specific loader might help in this regard. The tedium of remembering the lines to add/change, testing them, and so on is part of the reason why I wrote the loader mentioned in the tag line (as I'm sure others wrote theirs too).
stn
Mole Person

Post by stn »

Bobby55 - Yes, it has that. I imagine I have to re-direct it to load the HDTP textures, right? Where can I find the location of that? Thanks!!

EDIT: So I found HDTP.ini, replaced the "system" and "textures" paths over the ones found in DeusEx.ini. Still nothing!!
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

How are you launching the game? Launching via the exe doesn't work. If you haven't already got this I recommend it or one of the other custom launchers. Kentie's though does address a lot of modern hardware issues too. :http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/
stn
Mole Person

Post by stn »

Yes, I'm launching through the original .exe. What should I be doing? Should I maybe do a fresh install and then use this launcher? Thanks.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Firstly, isn't there a shortcut created after installing HDTP? I think you launch the game with that. I've always used Kentie's launcher and it takes care of everything...mostly.

To answer your launcher question. I'd just replace the original Deus.exe with Kentie's, run the game for a few seconds then have a look at 'Data Directories' on Kentie's launcher and if there are two HDTP entries with boxes to check there you might get away with not installing again. Re-installing is probably a good idea but it'll only take a few extra minutes if you follow my suggestion.
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

Are you still having trouble, or is it working for you now?

If these suggestions have been mentioned already and I missed them, my apologies please disregard. If not try...

First thing since you are using the CD version of the game make sure it's patched to the latest http://www.fileplanet.com/59470/50000/f ... ch-v1112fm :-k

Also since you are using the CD version of any old game and running Win7 you may have to set DE to run in compatibility mode. RU running Win7 32bit or 64bit?. You could have trouble just with an old CD and 64bit, in which case it's easier to just wait an rebuy DE in digital version on sale @ Steam. Their winter sale should be starting in a couple of days. Anyway if you get DE installed okay then this likely isn't the issue so disregard, I tend to babble. :oops:

The old CD version of games can be troublesome now with the newer OSs... although the Steam version seems to take the headaches out of running mods on the old game. I rebought all my old games digitally through Steam or GOG to avoid this and I don't want to get of my chair to look for the CD. :giggle:

I'm assuming you've reviewed this section as well? viewtopic.php?f=9&t=724
Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become...
stn
Mole Person

Post by stn »

I have it installed on Win 7 64-bit, runs fine. One thing I DIDN'T do is install that patch! Would you recommend I do a fresh install from the beginning or can I just install it now and have it work fine? Thanks so much for your help, folks! Very much appreciated.
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

stn wrote:I have it installed on Win 7 64-bit, runs fine. One thing I DIDN'T do is install that patch! Would you recommend I do a fresh install from the beginning or can I just install it now and have it work fine? Thanks so much for your help, folks! Very much appreciated.
If it were me I would do a clean install of Deus Ex, then the v1112fm patch (also note the DE main screen it should list the updated version if patched successfully), confirm DE works smoothly, then apply the mod (taking time to read the installation steps again prior to applying). Test to see if mod works. If not then I'd start at the top of Troubleshooting FAQ viewtopic.php?f=9&t=724 and try Trestkon's suggestion and so on, also Bob made a suggestion in this thread.

Keep a backup of the original ini file somewhere, before making changes to it. So if you get into a situation where you feel like you can't remember what lines you've changed etc, you can start with the original again.
Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become...
stn
Mole Person

Post by stn »

Will try this tonight, expect a report. :) Thanks for all the help so far.