Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Re: GMDX: Gameplay Mod. Final Version Released (HDTP Compati

Post by DDL »

Oh god. No, you don't do it like that.

You'd need to decompile the GMDX deusex.u, search for all the relevant code snippets and then stick them in to your decompiled vanilla deusex.u classes, then recompile that.

It's..a significant undertaking if you don't know what you're doing.
medzernik
NSF

Post by medzernik »

Well i was comparing few other "tweak mods" and this one seems the best! However i miss the GEP locking, although i don't use GEP. Pity that it isn't compatibile with revision. Oh whatever gonna play DX again! Really nice tweaks you've done! Thanks for mod! :D
rolatis
Thug

Post by rolatis »

Thanks for the insight bro, makes me sound like a complete idiot (which I am when it comes to programming and the sort)
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

bobby 55 wrote: I was collateral damage.
:lol:
No, I whimped out and I'm playing on realistic.
What a shame. Not only that but you took easy hacking too. I love the extra thought required from not taking hacking.
medzernik wrote:Well i was comparing few other "tweak mods" and this one seems the best! However i miss the GEP locking, although i don't use GEP. Pity that it isn't compatibile with revision. Oh whatever gonna play DX again! Really nice tweaks you've done! Thanks for mod! :D
Be sure to play hardcore mode if you are hard enough 8) I was going to call it "nerves of steel mode", quoting JC, but it never happened.
It works wonders for this thinking man's game. Choices bearing importance due to thier possible consequences is what you'll notice the most, it brings back that intellectually stimulating first playthrough scenario to some extent, where choices mattered a whole bunch. For experienced players vanilla choices have lost their worth over time.
We know how to manipulate the systems, we know which choices are useless and which are not, we all quicksaved before disarming mines etc, essentialy turning them into certain victory QTE scenarios and lowering what little worth demolition skill had and so on.
Play hardcore, it's the a bomb!

As for the GEP: Yes, it was cool but now it's more skill based. More skill and more thought required overall was one primary objective.
You can attach a laser to the GEP now though as well as range mods for faster projectile speed (G-Flex's code and it's great!).
medzernik
NSF

Post by medzernik »

Be sure to play hardcore mode if you are hard enough 8) I was going to call it "nerves of steel mode", quoting JC, but it never happened.
It works wonders for this thinking man's game. Choices bearing importance due to thier possible consequences is what you'll notice the most, it brings back that intellectually stimulating first playthrough scenario to some extent, where choices mattered a whole bunch. For experienced players vanilla choices have lost their worth over time.
We know how to manipulate the systems, we know which choices are useless and which are not, we all quicksaved before disarming mines etc, essentialy turning them into certain victory QTE scenarios and lowering what little worth demolition skill had and so on.
Play hardcore, it's the a bomb!

As for the GEP: Yes, it was cool but now it's more skill based. More skill and more thought required overall was one primary objective.
You can attach a laser to the GEP now though as well as range mods for faster projectile speed (G-Flex's code and it's great!).
Definately gonna play on Hardcore! Exactly as you said, when you screw something it just forces you to live with it and that's nice. Also i thought about writing a review for DX and suggesting a few mods with it, will see if i do that. Also what about revision? Will you make it compatible? Would be awesome!

EDIT: Also that hacking detection is exactly what was missing from DX. You couldn't get detected when hacking i think, only when the time has ran out. It also made Computer useless after lvl1 and after lvl2 absolutely not needed to skill. This is pure genius. I think that you should have a small chance of detecting (5%) on master though, just to keep the interest in looking passwords! :D
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

GMDX and Revision both have their own maps, so making the maps compatible would be a definite no. Also, Revision uses it's own mission scripting, so any GMDX mission script code won't be run. But other than that they are already "compatible" :mrgreen:
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
medzernik
NSF

Post by medzernik »

bjorn98009_91 wrote:GMDX and Revision both have their own maps, so making the maps compatible would be a definite no. Also, Revision uses it's own mission scripting, so any GMDX mission script code won't be run. But other than that they are already "compatible" :mrgreen:
Pity. But that hacking master detection just must be. It makes you WANT to find passes, whether if you have no chance of screwing up, it's just dull. Also i figured that shifter shouldn't be compatibile (obviously). Well looks like i'll use this and forget about shifter for a while. You should make it a one mod or do something maybe because i hate when things go crazy (linux DE), and i also hate letting go of shifter.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

You could always try to run Revision with GMDX already installed (ofc running via the Revision shortcut)
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Half of GMDX's changes & additions are in the maps themselves, it wouldn't work properly. Hardcore mode for example (mission scripts overidden by Revision's and no save points in the maps).
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Yup, but some stuff like the cloak and other mechanics would probably work :) Point is that you CAN try but the experience would probably be horrible/unsatisfying. The MissionScript situation could be resolved by "simply" making a new RevisionMission.u, but for the maps, NO.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

medzernik wrote: Definately gonna play on Hardcore! Exactly as you said, when you screw something it just forces you to live with it and that's nice

Exactly!
Also what about revision? Will you make it compatible? Would be awesome!
We'd like to but as we have started our next project, an indie First Person Role-playing Immersive Sim (we are looking for roles to be filled by the way, namely 3D artists), we have no time.
EDIT: Also that hacking detection is exactly what was missing from DX. You couldn't get detected when hacking i think, only when the time has ran out. It also made Computer useless after lvl1 and after lvl2 absolutely not needed to skill. This is pure genius. I think that you should have a small chance of detecting (5%) on master though, just to keep the interest in looking passwords! :D
I agree, but we cannot take credit for it, it's eshkrw's code. We did have to expand on the code though as you could just press esc in a 2 second time frame after detection which allowed you to back out with ease, no consequences.
The hacking detection's primary purpose, along with descending skill costs, is to encourage taking hacking past trained.
We did pilfer a fair bit of assets from other mods as well as building on top of HDTP to make it a mega mod and because some things were neccessary such as Yuki's bug fixes.
As for the 5% chance at master: if you have invested in hacking to master you shouldn't have to worry about passwords/detection, and you are a master hacker, a ghost in the machine ;)

The reward for finding passwords etc whilst you have the hacking skill is reading the lore etc and you can get PIN's to ATMs then hack them after. The reward for NOT taking hacking and looking through all the datacubes etc is again the lore, the skill points not spent on the skill can be used elsewhere, and the intellectual challenge found in figuring out some of the minor puzzles in the text.
medzernik
NSF

Post by medzernik »

As for the 5% chance at master: if you have invested in hacking to master you shouldn't have to worry about passwords/detection, and you are a master hacker, a ghost in the machine
Well after i started playing today and saw the computer skill cost 4 bloody thousand skillpoints i almost fell off my chair! Pity that it cannot be combined with Revision, because this makes Deus Ex fresh as Revision did it in map perespective. I did of course select Hardcore mode, and it's HARD. Fun too!
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Trained=4000, Advanced=3000, Master=2000. Descending costs to match it's perks which descend in value.
It may not be consistent with how the skill system works but it'll have to do for balance. It's a hardcore mod so we do not need to worry about accessibility, besides, it's all detailed in the user's manual..
medzernik
NSF

Post by medzernik »

[SOLVED] So i was playing and i got into some problems! :D Well first, when i wanted to free up smugglers friend, the moment i got near that silo/water tank, the game stooped taking keyboard and mouse click input. Few minutes later it stopped taking mouse input completely and then it crashed. This wouldn't be so big problem if i could avoid it. Now i am at the MJ12/UNATCO and after i get out of my cell it happens. I cannot get around this one... Anyone knows why is this?

EDIT: hmm after reading .log file, i saw critical errors with MJ12. I disabled them though... that would explain that waterpump. Anyone know how to disable them in terminal/config? Thanks :D

EDIT 2: I solved it! Because i was stupid and didn't set the CUSTOM setting at the top! Yay i can enjoy more DX ^^.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

A HDTP bug. In both the moddb installation guide and the instructions in the User's Manual as well as the HDTP beta page you are told to disable the MJ12 models.

Also, do you have any tasty feedback that I can feed off of?