Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Blade sword
NSF

Re: GMDX: Gameplay Mod. Final Version Released (HDTP Compati

Post by Blade sword »

I personally have 3d software skills but I'm useless for you as I don't have 3ds max :( I'm also not sure about the issues I can get from tests I can do
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Hmm. What needs to be edited is a HDTP mesh; those were made using 3DSMax but I think other software like Blender may be viable, I'm not 100% certain.
Blade sword
NSF

Post by Blade sword »

I can make stuff for 3ds max users, but I can't edit stuff made under 3ds max aside of meshes converted into formats compatible for being imported to blender :/
Unless someone have a technique for that I think I can't do anything :(
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

We need Dummy JC Denton's right leg cut off of and a child extension of the JCD dummy.

A new attack will be implemented: Kick. It will be weak by default and have a 33% chance to cause enemies to play the pain animation. If the aug is installed damage and chance of pain animation as well as knockback will increase with each aug level. Max level will be brutal against weak enemies and keep heavily augmented powerful enemies back. It will be fairly useless against bots, however. It will be possible to use in combination with melee weapons, guns, anything. Jumping then kicking will allow the player to kick in the head for increased damage and will also have a separate animation (if the potential artist doesn't mind). The aug will also increase jump height a some, up to 60% of Speed Aug. Also should be noted is that you may have increased jump height, but not increased jump speed like you do with speed enhance, so you won't be able to cover as much distance at all whilst airborne. It will also reduce falling damage, but only up to a maximum of 50% of what speed enhance reduces.

Should be a worthy choice for both playstyles, extremely fun (think Dark Messiah, Brutal Doom or Duke+ on steroids with the aug), a worthy choice over speed enhance, suitable as a leg aug, balanced in terms of difficulty (as useful as speed enhance and not dominating all enemy types) providing deeper & more visceral gameplay and is in-line with simulation design. Dedicated non-lethal players can get use out of kick too, as if the aug is not installed it will be considered a non-lethal attack and will help lay a non-lethal beat down in combination with the baton. Max level augmented kick will be brutal however and will use the code for GMDX's improved microfibral muscle aug to send lightweight enemies flying into walls etc. can also be used to kick unbreakable crates at people. Greasels will simply explode to be cheap and avoid coding and animating a stomp attack (hey, the devs took shortcuts like this plenty of times in the vanilla design and it's not a bad thing if done right). It will be passive. Still undecided on whether to have it drain bio energy per power kick or not though.
It will also have minor details to ensure it feels realistic enough and packs a kick. With the aug at max level it sounds OP but remember you have to get in close (no speed enhance, some enemies have close range damage multipliers and almost all are more accurate the closer you are) and it won't be effective against all enemy types.

Need a 3D artist. This is the last thing to implement before the next & final update can be released. Shouldn't take long for an artist to do at all. The model or skin may need a bit of extra visual spice and absolute consistency with the hand models though.

Of course the above is concept and subject to change, but know it's all entirely do-able.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blade sword
NSF

Post by Blade sword »

It is but someone with 3ds max needs at least to provide the leg for first person animations and then test it when it's done and finally do the conversion for deus ex
If possible he may add the animation for JC's player model kick if he can...
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Blade sword wrote:It is but someone with 3ds max needs at least to provide the leg for first person animations and then test it when it's done and finally do the conversion for deus ex
If possible he may add the animation for JC's player model kick if he can...
I am not entirely certain but I am pretty sure a separate mesh consisting of just the leg is required. Like JC's hands in first person, these are a separate mesh to the full JC model.

Animating the 3rd person model (full JC) would be good as well solely for mirrors but not necessary. Multiplayer I care not for.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Problem with animating for Deus Ex is that DX doesn't support skeletal animation, so either you have to animate the old fashion way (vertex animation) or do a skeletal animation and then convert it to a vertex animation (and that's like hard to do and takes a lot of time). Animating regular 3D models isn't that hard, it's getting a good animation of a humanoid-mesh that's tricky.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
Blade sword
NSF

Post by Blade sword »

Yes but I don't have that mesh which is why someone with 3ds have to take from JC's model and convert it, otherwise there would be texturing work that would be required. As for the JC's character model I just told that as an eventuality. I also don't know about vertex animation though. the only animation methods I know in blender is the skeletal and lattice one.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Hey Blade Sword: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jdAsx4d1EY

Apparently no conversion is needed for .3ds. I assume HDTPCharacters are .max though, inside the package. I'll have a look.

Hmm, I cannot export the whole package using DEEDS, only succeeds in half (and no JC model) due to "Error: unknown texture format".
I guess asking DDL for the model in .3ds format is best, but he doesn't seem to visit too often any more. Damn.
Blade sword
NSF

Post by Blade sword »

Thanks for the tuto, as I found an importer for my blender which seems to work moderately.
Let's hope DDL give a visit as soon as possible.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Thank you.

I'll PM him.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

I tried exporting the files with WOTgreals Package Explorer, but I could not get the .3DS files to open in 3DS Max 2014 :/
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Something go wrong with the export? If not, can you upload the JC model to the Revision folder so I can grab the .3ds file please? :smile:
Blade sword
NSF

Post by Blade sword »

I apparently got JC legs and boots without problems. I also would like that people check this for Unreal Engine 1
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=178298
I found it by luck and I would like to see if it could extend into deus ex since people requested it :)
It's about implementing support for skeletal meshes into UE1
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/UE1:RSkeletalMeshEx

The UVs seems to have translated successfully, the thing is I wonder about things needed for the models before exporting or whatever, BTW I will start it soon but I should ask things to some people as there is a few mods for UT99 who had people who actually used blender 3d
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Blade sword wrote:I apparently got JC legs and boots without problems. I also would like that people check this for Unreal Engine 1
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=178298
I found it by luck and I would like to see if it could extend into deus ex since people requested it :)
It's about implementing support for skeletal meshes into UE1
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/UE1:RSkeletalMeshEx
Good find, hopefully someone makes good use of it.
BTW I will start it soon
Excellent :smile:

Only one normal standing kick anim is required but do a separate jumping anim if you feel like it. Or even multiple ones (Crouch kick, standing kick, jumping kick, greasel stomp).
but I should ask things to some people as there is a few mods for UT99 who had people who actually used blender 3d
Yeah, info only DDL can provide since he seems to be the only one around here with in-depth knowledge of Deus Ex modelling and animating. Everyone else has abandoned DX apparently :(

You could also try here if need be but that community is very quiet also.