Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
athruntalan
Mole Person

HDTP Beta, Shifter and New Vision

Post by athruntalan »

Hi guys,

I've noticed a few posts around the HDTP beta topic with regards to problems getting Shifter 1.9 RCO and HDTP beta working with Kentie's launcher (I was the original poster of the problem over at Moddb). Just wondering if anyone has had any luck at all running the three mods in the topic together?

I've tried the following, but no matter what I do, I can't get all three to successfully run together:

First Test

Installed New Vision first, followed by using the instructions provided to get HDTP beta installed.

Created backup of DeusEx.u and DeusEx.Int

Using Kentie's launcher, data directories are in the order:

HDTP\Textures
HDTP\System
New Vision\Maps
New Vision\Textures

At this point, both are running together successfully, and HDTP options is accessible.

Installing Shifter using basic installation instructions (replace Deusex.int and Deusex.u with Shifer 9 versions)

Failure. All three load successfully together successfully, HDTP options is present under Settings. Using alternative fire ALWAYS throws out item, however.

Second Test

Installing Shifter using advanced installation instructions - extract Deusex.int and deusex.u to their own Shifter\System folder within the DeusEx root. Using Kentie's launcher to detect and run the files as follows:

Shifter\System\*.u
HDTP\Textures
HDTP\System
New Vision\Maps
New Vision\Textures

Failure. Game locks up upon clicking Start after character creation. Deleting Deus Ex from Documents and Default.ini does not work for me - still crashes at the same point. I've also tried running Shifter below HDTP, at which point I lose access to the alternative fire keybind in settings, keyboard/mouse.

Replacing Kentie's launcher with original DeusEx launcher works up until the same point, at which point it crashes to desktop with a general protection fault (screenshot attached).

I should point out that using the advanced method, I always lose access to HDTP options, no matter whether I'm using the basic exe or Kentie's launcher. I do still see the improved JC headshot when using the character creation, though.

At this point I'm a bit stumped. I'm not sure if ditching New Vision altogether and using just HDTP Beta with Shifter would be the way to go, but aside from replacing Maps and Textures, I can't see any other way that New Vision could be interfering.

So...yes. I don't know if anyone else has had better luck than I, but I thought I'd throw my testing out in case anyone spotted something that either I was doing wrong, or something that could be throwing the process off for everyone.

EDIT - I should point out I'm using the DeusEx GOTY edition, patch 1112fm, not Steam or Gametap.
Attachments
GeneralProtectionFault.jpg
GregP
Mole Person

Re: HDTP Beta, Shifter and New Vision

Post by GregP »

I got all three working, but have the two HDTP items loading last -- maybe try that? Also, not sure if it matters, but I've always read that HDTP should be installed first, followed by New Vision, followed by Shifter.
i5-2500K @ 4.8 GHz / Asus P8P67 Pro / 8GB DDR3-1600 / 2x7970 3GB / Audigy X-Fi / Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Post by Y|yukichigai »

That GPF tells me that the issue is with the code that processes pressing the Start button. I do have a bit of extra code there meant to monitor whether or not the game successfully loads the intro or not. I'm not sure how it would be causing an issue there, but it's possible. I can try taking it out and see what happens.

EDIT: Here, try this - http://www.filedropper.com/shifterv19rc1
athruntalan
Mole Person

Post by athruntalan »

Hi both,

Thanks for giving me a hand with this, I really appreciate it!

GregP - I did try changing up the load order, but unfortunately no dice. I might try a fresh DeusEx install then install the mods as you suggest, see if it makes any difference.

Y|yukichigai - big fan of your work, and thanks for the file! It definitely gets past the startup glitch, I haven't had a chance to test much further than that. Only problem is with the load order as Shifter, HDTP, then New Vision, all is loaded, but I still lose access to the HDTP options (which I just know is going to be a big problem when I start hitting the MJ12 troopers at the moment).

Loading Shifter after HDTP or New Vision means it doesn't seem to load - no alt fire in the controls or anything, probably down to the two different DeusEx.u files. On a whim I renamed the DeusEx.U file from the HDTP\System folder to make sure it wasn't overwriting the Shifter one. Doing this fixes the issue I had before with the alt fire not appearing or acting like the drop control, but still no access to HDTP options.

Any thoughts on a way around that?
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

HDTP character options are config vars, stored in your HDTPUser.ini.

All the in-game menu does is let you alter your ini files from within the game, and they do this by calling console commands anyway: you can happily do the same by just writing your own console command, or even just do it manually, in notepad.

Just run HDTP once, open HDTPUser.ini and find "bHDTP_JC=". If you haven't fiddled with anything yet, it should be equal false.

Set bHDTP_All to 0 (-1 is none, 0 is custom, 1 is all), and then set the rest to true/false depending on your preferences. With MJ!2 to false, obviously. :/
GregP
Mole Person

Post by GregP »

Also, if you really insist on using the GUI to set your HDTP options, I'm pretty sure that to get the HDTP menu back, all you have to do is change the load order such that it reappears, make your changes, then go back and change your load order back to how it was. The choices you've made should still stick, I believe.
i5-2500K @ 4.8 GHz / Asus P8P67 Pro / 8GB DDR3-1600 / 2x7970 3GB / Audigy X-Fi / Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

That all depends upon if Shifter actually implements the ini config at all. It could just be loading any HDTP character mesh it finds regardless of checking the ini files. Haven't tried it myself, so don't know how that works.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
medzernik
NSF

Post by medzernik »

bjorn98009_91 wrote:That all depends upon if Shifter actually implements the ini config at all. It could just be loading any HDTP character mesh it finds regardless of checking the ini files. Haven't tried it myself, so don't know how that works.
Alright so after a few days i've been digging. It looks like everything is fine and the saving works (~10 minutes tested non-stop saving different places) with shifter. However after adding revision the saving fucks up. This applies to shifter 1.8.4 and biomod. I think there may be a problem with your shifter layer. I load that always first. Doesn't seem to make a difference. Would be glad for help :)
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Hmm the order the System folders should be loaded is (from top to bottom)

Revision\Shifter,
Revision\System
and then System.

That should work with Shifter 1.8.4. Biomod has not been tested (yet). So if it's possible for you to try with that order as well as just using Shifter 1.8.4 it would be great! :)
medzernik
NSF

Post by medzernik »

bjorn98009_91 wrote:Hmm the order the System folders should be loaded is (from top to bottom)

Revision\Shifter,
Revision\System
and then System.

That should work with Shifter 1.8.4. Biomod has not been tested (yet). So if it's possible for you to try with that order as well as just using Shifter 1.8.4 it would be great! :)

Tried reversing order and it crashed when saving. Maybe i should do a video so you can see what happens. Looks like it's something with revision. Might not be but i didn't crash before.
medzernik
NSF

Post by medzernik »

athruntalan wrote:Hi both,

Thanks for giving me a hand with this, I really appreciate it!

GregP - I did try changing up the load order, but unfortunately no dice. I might try a fresh DeusEx install then install the mods as you suggest, see if it makes any difference.

Y|yukichigai - big fan of your work, and thanks for the file! It definitely gets past the startup glitch, I haven't had a chance to test much further than that. Only problem is with the load order as Shifter, HDTP, then New Vision, all is loaded, but I still lose access to the HDTP options (which I just know is going to be a big problem when I start hitting the MJ12 troopers at the moment).

Loading Shifter after HDTP or New Vision means it doesn't seem to load - no alt fire in the controls or anything, probably down to the two different DeusEx.u files. On a whim I renamed the DeusEx.U file from the HDTP\System folder to make sure it wasn't overwriting the Shifter one. Doing this fixes the issue I had before with the alt fire not appearing or acting like the drop control, but still no access to HDTP options.

Any thoughts on a way around that?
Also you could test it already since it would be interesting to know if you have the same error or if it is only me (with the same mods yeah sure). If it is enough people maybe we could fix it somehow.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

medzernik wrote:Tried reversing order and it crashed when saving. Maybe i should do a video so you can see what happens. Looks like it's something with revision. Might not be but i didn't crash before.
Are you using Biomod + Shifter 1.8.4? Cause Biomod is not supported yet. Also try downloading the latest Kentie launcher and rename DeusEx.exe to Revision.exe and replace the current one. Seems we missed updating the launcher when we included it in the installer.

Also, please make a video.
medzernik
NSF

Post by medzernik »

bjorn98009_91 wrote:
medzernik wrote:Tried reversing order and it crashed when saving. Maybe i should do a video so you can see what happens. Looks like it's something with revision. Might not be but i didn't crash before.
Are you using Biomod + Shifter 1.8.4? Cause Biomod is not supported yet. Also try downloading the latest Kentie launcher and rename DeusEx.exe to Revision.exe and replace the current one. Seems we missed updating the launcher when we included it in the installer.

Also, please make a video.
Video in the making as we speak. I was using 1.9 shifter. I am always using the latest launchers and mods and never installing with a convinient option in the installers since i am a linux lover and i mess with the base tty and the kernel. So i am pretty used to manual work and i prefer it more.

EDIT: The video is rendering and it is taking a lot of time since it's 1080p full. Will provide the link after it's ready. :)

EDIT2: The video is done. Featuring ~6 minutes of playing (cheats, #yolo) At the end the usual crash for me. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS7S8XalvYM
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Just so you know, in case you didn't select the Shifter option in the installer you have to both enable the Revision\Shifter\*.u in Kentie AND copy and overwrite DeusEx.rev found in Revision\Shifter to DeusEx\System. It's all in the manual instructions.

But as I said, the compatibility file in Revision\Shifter has NOT been tested with 1.9 or Biomod. It has only been tested with 1.8.4 (cause 1.9 was not released when that Shifter file was finalized). So that could be the cause of your issues.
Last edited by bjorn98009_91 on Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
medzernik
NSF

Post by medzernik »

bjorn98009_91 wrote:Just so you know, in case you didn't select the Shifter option in the installer you have to both enable the Revision\Shifter\*.u in Kentie AND copy and overwrite DeusEx.rev found in Revision\Shifter to DeusEx\System. It's all in the manual instructions.

But as I said, the compatibility file in Revision\Shifter has NOT been tested with 1.9 or Biomod. It's only been tested with 1.8.4 (cause 1.9 was not released when that Shifter file was finalized). So that could be the cause of your issues.
I did select the shifter compatibility option in installer. Only that and only the base files. Should i wind back to shifter 1.84? Or is this going to get fixed in the near future, becuase i am desparate to play DX again! :D