Completely unique problem? (Borked beta menu)

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
knight_killer
Mole Person

Completely unique problem? (Borked beta menu)

Post by knight_killer »

Alright so I've been troubleshooting for about six hours straight now, and I can still only get the demo models (Hermann, crates, etc.) to work.

I have installed the beta files as instructed, moved the animation file back and forth between it's two possible spots, and I still get no HDTP Settings option in the in-game menu. This means I cannot get any high-resolution models other than Gunther.

I've tried everything that I could think to do to the point where I cannot remember all of what I have done offhand, but if something failed to work I would revert my changes and alter from square one again. I think the repetition has begun to unravel my neural network.

If anyone has any clue as to what may cause this PLEASE help me. I'm really just at my wits end.
ggrotz
X-51

Re: Completely unique problem? (Borked beta menu)

Post by ggrotz »

knight_killer wrote:Alright so I've been troubleshooting for about six hours straight now, and I can still only get the demo models (Hermann, crates, etc.) to work.
If this is the case, you likely only have the first beta installed. Have you downloaded the files from here and put them in the old HDTP directories, replacing all the files? You might post the relevant lines in your deusex.ini as well.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Firstly, I love the username!

Secondly, are you looking in settings? The HDTP options menu is not on the first menu page of the game, you have to go into "settings" first, then you should see "HDTP Options" (midway down, underneath "Game Options").

Thirdly, assuming this isn't working, it is worth checking that you actually have all the relevant files installed. I'm trying to think of things that were not in the first release...oh, the prod. That'll do nicely, since you start with it. Start up a game, and PROD WITH TEH PROD. If it looks all high def and shiny, then you have the files. If not, then...come back and we'll walk through what you may or may not have done. :)
knight_killer
Mole Person

Post by knight_killer »

Alright after taking a short break and getting some extra insight from ggrotz's comment I realized that I did, indeed, have the old DeusEx.u file in the HDTP/System folder.

#-o

However now I am encountering a new issue and hopefully this one has been worked through previously so there's a solution out there somewhere! (I'll be checking around after this post.)

Anyway, when I attempt to launch, (whether through the default Deus Ex GOTY shortcut, HDTP.exe, or DeusEx.exe) I am routed through Kenzie's launcher, which is normal, but then I get the following pop-up:

"Critical Error: Can't find Package in file 'Package HDTPanim.Effects'"

I assumed at first that I needed to move HDTPanim.utx, but that didn't change a thing and being that I've never seen a file by that name and can't seem to locate one, I am again, stumped.

Whatever the case I would like to thank you two for dropping in and lending a hand!
knight_killer
Mole Person

Post by knight_killer »

AHHHHHHHH! I DID IT!

But then again, I ended up being the cause of the problem. <_<

Turns out it was just a simple case of user error. See, first I installed the beta and then the initial release and tried to backtrack and re-extract the beta files to the appropriate locations but ended up forgetting one!

Pretty silly, I know, but I'm way past happy to have it over with and may not have connected the dots properly without posting here and getting some outside feedback, so thanks again!
DDL

Post by DDL »

Yep, HDTPanim.utx should be (probably) in your deusex/textures folder (the core textures folder) and in HDTP/Textures (the HDTP textures folder).

It seems to vary on a case-by-case basis as to which is required, so I'm tending to advise people stick copies in each location.

Man, I hate that fucking .utx. Seriously, what the hell.

Also, make sure it's the HDTPanim.utx from the latest release (I added a few textures), and make sure you've got a paths reference to HDTP/Textures in your HDTP.ini file:

CacheExt=.uxx <---find this line
Paths=..\HDTP\Textures\*.utx <---add this line below it, if not already present

EDIT: nevermind, victory is achieved!
DDL

Post by DDL »

ALSO, don't use the MJ12 trooper.

:(