Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Deus Ex Advancement Mod v7 Release

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Download Link

-More life-like & challenging AI, in addition to new enemy types.
-Improved and balanced augmentations.
-Improved and balanced skill system.
-Expanded choice & consequence design.
-Increased overall challenge, including an optional hardcore difficulty mode.
-Balanced & improved weaponry.
-Fixes many Vanilla & GOTY edition bugs.
-Altered level design in the interest of challenge, realism and choice and consequence, and also the occasional visual improvements for the most lacking of maps.
-Many miscellaneous new features.
-Compatible with the excellent HDTP & New Vision graphics mods (HDTP is a requirement).

It has been an honour to expand upon such a fantastic game and to contribute to the Immersive Sim.
We hope you enjoy the mod and look forward to your feedback.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:50 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: GMDX v5 Release

Post by Jonas »

This all looks very impressive. I'll be sure to give it a shot the next time the urge to replay Deus Ex seizes me!

Your videos are way too text heavy though ;)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
kocmo
Thug

Post by kocmo »

Congrats! Once the Revision rustle & bustle dies down, I'll be sure to check it out.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Jonas wrote:This all looks very impressive. I'll be sure to give it a shot the next time the urge to replay Deus Ex seizes me!
Great. I'll be looking forward to what you have to say.
Your videos are way too text heavy though ;)
Indeed. My options were severely limited though.

Edit: oh right, yes I could have just typed "here is improved microfibral muscle" and let the footage do the selling, I could have been less forthcoming and leave people curious about features but I wanted to detail all necessary systems so people understand why specific design decisions were made, and so one can see they are not gamebreaking, and so on...however, I suck at marketing is the primary factor in all honesty ;)
Another factor is that the majority of what the mod does is not very visual, for example demonstrating the rebalanced skill system there's not much I can show, I have to tell. I dunno...either text heavy or I commentate in a similar fashion, but I cannot do that either for other reasons.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

OK, this mod's latest release has not received ANY feedback from players aside from a couple of peeps on moddb. This is partially due to not many people even downloading it, but still it's a little strange considering all the things the mod does, all whilst striving to stay true to the original game. Those who have reported feedback have had nothing but good things to say, but this isn't many people at all.

What gives?

Feedback; how can GMDX improve? What do you enjoy about GMDX? Are there any flaws? What would you like to see in v6, if there ever is one? Are there any bugs?
I shouldn't have to ask.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Cybernetic pig wrote:OK, this mod's latest release has not received ANY feedback from players aside from a couple of peeps on moddb.

What gives?
Maybe people are busy? It's around tax time in the US, so people are occupied with that if they're working. Then they might have other projects going. Like with me I got DX Loader 2.00 I've been working on (90% done with functionality as of last night, need to clean the code up and add the other 10%), the *cough*installer*cough* and then some other major things. Not much time to spin up DX other than to test the loader every once in a great while as a break (and finding out things about the ocean lab, like the red laser is actually a red hurty light - that's actually a fun JC death, it takes 30 stabs with the knife to gib a MJ12 commando, and really how open and stealthy you can be without any augs at all by timing how long I can stay directly behind a guy without him noticing - might as well touch them, and yes...best of all, getting to be a wizard with the sawed off shottie).

Be patient, and people will have things to say.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Please don't tell me to be patient. I'm well aware that's my only choice aside from more shitty marketing :o

To answer my own question: there is little feedback because so few has downloaded it. That said, it's only really here that I expected feedback, due to this being the mod's birthplace so to speak, yet I have got it from elsewhere; it's nice to see people mentioning it on the web in places, Reddit, Steam etc.

What is this laser death in the ocean lab you speak of? Red laser? Wizard with the sawed-off? I'm confused.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Cybernetic pig wrote: What is this laser death in the ocean lab you speak of? Red laser? Wizard with the sawed-off? I'm confused.
Oh, when I've been testing the loader, I've been looking for like five minutes of Deus Ex to see how the settings work every once in a while as a break and have been hammering the Ocean Lab. There's a red laser on one of the mini-subs you can jump on top of and get into. And by the other thing I was just saying that I was getting extremely effective with it along with the stealth (like I got it on MJ12 guy's neck when he notices me - better for 'em to surrender than try it, but the AI doesn't do that of course).
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Oh, that laser. That's at the SoCal submarine base. That's cool though I didn't know it killed you :)
As for the shottie wizardry, have you never tried Deus Ex as a shooter in a full playthrough? Between the heath system, augs, weapon modding, multiple ammo types and other minor features in addition to everything else that is Deus Ex it's one of the most in-depth shooters available. Same for stealth too of course, but stealth doesn't rely on the skill system as much, and has not many options for weapon modification if you are going non-lethal (hence my reasoning for more modification options and the new stealth skill, the extra depth for stealth is nice).
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

New quote just in (from the moddb page):

"Overall GMDX is an excellent mod that adds quite a few new features, but nothing that detracts from the core DX experience. I highly recommend it."
-phillon
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

Your mod does sound interesting but I tell you why I personally won't play it:

1) I have never finished Deus EX, interrupting it 1/3 into the game and never resuming it so I am not sure I want to play the game with a heavily modified gameplay

2) Even if I did, I am not exactly sure I'd approve of all the changes made by GMDX v5

3) There are other mods that might be made compatible with your own thanks to kocmo's excellent project, unifiedDeusEx

Said that, I thank you specifically for the AI improvements. I am glad you could work out a better AI. My question for you is this: does it scale with difficulty? Can you give us some examples about how differently the AI reacts to the player's actions? I read that enemies will hear the firing of a non silenced gun at greater distance and I have mixed feelings about it: while it does make sense, I fear the developers had a reason for not permitting distant guards to be alerted by the noise of a fire gun.

It was a long, long time ago since I last played Deus Ex so apologies for not focusing on any special aspect.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Salk wrote: 1) I have never finished Deus Ex
You have never completed Deus Ex nor played GMDX. It's not your feedback I'm looking for, your opinion has little weight.

Wait, what? Why have you never completed Deus Ex? You play it now and don't look back. Goddamn.
Can you give us some examples about how differently the AI reacts to the player's actions?
Examples have already been given. Watch the AI video posted in the OP. The last 1/3rd of the video focuses specifically on providing improved reaction examples.
I read that enemies will hear the firing of a non silenced gun at greater distance and I have mixed feelings about it: while it does make sense, I fear the developers had a reason for not permitting distant guards to be alerted by the noise of a fire gun.
The AI were dumb & deaf vanilla. In GMDX this merely behaves as in other games.
3) There are other mods that might be made compatible with your own thanks to kocmo's excellent project, unifiedDeusEx
UnifiedDX (specifically Shifter and Biomod) is not compatible with GMDX from a design and technical standpoint.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Oh, that laser. That's at the SoCal submarine base. That's cool though I didn't know it killed you :)
Yeah when you focus on one map so much, you start noticing things and wondering things about them. You got to jump on that arm to find out it's hurty (of course it's a detail that you wouldn't think the mappers would be concerned about since there's really no reason for JC to be up there), but like I said a fun JC death...you have to look at it in terms of people finding him and saying "how in the hell did that happen?"

And yeah, I've used and mastered about every weapon in the game (basically just saying I know how to be effective with all of them). I just started out in the scenario I talked about with nothing simply as a different challenge (and it is being short-handed trying to first save Tiffany, then the Ocean Lab). First weapon you pick up is the sawed-off shottie, and since I usually pass it up for the assault shotgun, I never really played with it much so I decided to start.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

ggrotz wrote:(of course it's a detail that you wouldn't think the mappers would be concerned about since there's really no reason for JC to be up there)
Well as a designer you are meant to be concerned with everything. Every possible scenario. Not many designers do this, but the DX team tried and did rather well ;)
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Stuff.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:02 pm, edited 7 times in total.