What Should Be The Default Renderer Settings?

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
ggrotz
X-51

Re: What Should Be The Default Renderer Settings?

Post by ggrotz »

bjorn98009_91 wrote:Yeah. I know, but I wanted to verify some stuff myself. Anyhow the thing I posted are for a "best possible quality" scenario rather then what's best performance wise. Although I think that the settings I posted should be pretty good by default as it's mostly AA that determines the sys req.
Yeah, tweaking the AA will probably be what I will suggest.

Meanwhile (for all), I think I got these settings as good as they're going to be, and I need to move on and work on other things. So consider what I posted above the defaults for the installer. I went ahead and coded settings for Kentie's DX 11 renderer into the installer script, so that will be easy if the driver becomes stable enough to include sometime in the future (note the little naming inconsistency/bug).
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

An offhand little update: I just thought to (and figured out) a screen detection routine for the HDTP installer which will write that stuff to DeusEx.ini. I don't know how accurate it will be for most systems (especially for multiple monitor desktops), but it works for mine. fresh deusex + HDTP installer, and I get the full resolution of my monitor right on startup.

Does this sound good in general or will it run into problems?
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

If the routine never reports too large values, then it should be good. If you have a multi-monitor setup and it fails to detect the total resolution and only take the resolution of the primary monitor it should still be good. :)
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
Hanfling
MJ12

Post by Hanfling »

I would suggest simply using the highest resolution which the renderer suggest. This could be added to the testrendev stuff.

Which is vanilla code.

Code: Select all

// Test render device.
	FString Device;
	if( Parse(appCmdLine(),TEXT("testrendev="),Device) )
	{
		debugf(TEXT("Detecting %s"),*Device);
		try
		{
			UClass* Cls = LoadClass<URenderDevice>( NULL, *Device, NULL, 0, NULL );
			GConfig->SetInt(*Device,TEXT("DescFlags"),RDDESCF_Incompatible);
			GConfig->Flush(0);
			if( Cls )
			{
				URenderDevice* RenDev = ConstructObject<URenderDevice>(Cls);
				if( RenDev )
				{
					if( RenDev->Init(NULL,0,0,0,0) )
					{
						debugf(TEXT("Successfully detected %s"),*Device);
					}
					else delete RenDev;
				}
			}
		} catch( ... ) {}
		FArchive* Ar = GFileManager->CreateFileWriter(TEXT("Detected.ini"),0);
		if( Ar )
			delete Ar;
		return NULL;
	}
And just adding an RenDev->Exec() with GETRES or was it the other command, dunno, and parsing it's output for a list of valid resolutions, as this is what the renderer really supports and check for supported resolutions remain insinde the RenderDev. Whether to run this in the vanilla spot or in another spot is up to you.
I demand my DXE User ID back. Launcher for DeusEx, Rune, Nerf, Unreal & Botpack. HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

bjorn98009_91 wrote:If the routine never reports too large values, then it should be good. If you have a multi-monitor setup and it fails to detect the total resolution and only take the resolution of the primary monitor it should still be good. :)
I may do a little stub installer that does nothing but call this just so others can test it. Anyway, here's what I'm doing now:

Code: Select all

hwnd := GetDesktopWindow;
hDC := GetDC(hWnd);
xres := GetDeviceCaps(hDC, HORZRES);
yres := GetDeviceCaps(hDC, VERTRES);
bitdepth := GetDeviceCaps(hDC, BITSPIXEL);
ReleaseDC(hWnd, hDC);
The big thing is that I figured out how to do OS API calls from the installer script, and that's what these are. It's pulling the dimensions and bitdepth of the current desktop window into xres, yres, and bitdepth so it can write those to deusex.ini. Basically, the current resolution of the desktop window becomes the settings for Deus Ex. I don't know if that pulls the total resolution or just one monitor, but all I know is that it's working here. Reading a little more documentation reveals that this pulls from the "primary monitor", which may be sufficient. Hard to test these things without having this stuff here.
Hanfling wrote:I would suggest simply using the highest resolution which the renderer suggest. This could be added to the testrendev stuff.
You lost me. Is this code for Deus Ex itself or something I can use in an external installer? As many may have figured out, I've been trying to do a lot of work through the installer script to eliminate some of the manual labor in "modernizing" Deus Ex. The main thing is renderer installation, but I'm trying to think of other things that would be useful so things can be made easier and "nicer" out of the box.

That said, I haven't researched the renderer files much - if I can find the right functions, I can always load up the proper file and call those to get this information.
Hanfling
MJ12

Post by Hanfling »

Oh right. Never thought about an installer, just on setting the resolution on first game startup.
I demand my DXE User ID back. Launcher for DeusEx, Rune, Nerf, Unreal & Botpack. HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

ggrotz wrote: I may do a little stub installer that does nothing but call this just so others can test it. Anyway, here's what I'm doing now:
Here it is. All it will do is put up a message box with the resolution information for the primary monitor and quit. Hopefully it will work. Better to find out this way than in a full installer.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Works correctly for me.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

bjorn98009_91 wrote:Works correctly for me.
Thanks. Multi-monitor or single? Anyhow, it looks probable that I can keep this code in the installer. I'll leave the test up for a little while longer though...
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Both. It reports the main monitors resolution in a multi-monitor setup.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

A quick question: Do I need to set the HDTP options to true upon install or is it still best to leave them to the user?
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Hmm, perhaps setting everything to True and then custom, that way players can easily just go into the settings and turn off the things they don't want.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Another question: Right now, I have the support link directed to this link in the installer. Probably easiest for all concerned in terms of support issues, since there's really no formal support forum or updated site for HDTP. Should I keep the link as is, or should one of us make a new thread for the new release?
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

ggrotz,

we haven't had news from you and the update to the installer. Are you still working on it?

The modding scene here is so sadly idle.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Oh my god I can post again!

Right, I've been fixing minor bugs and shit that ggrotz and CyPig have pointed out and have rejigged the reload code for the pistol and the rifle (using a large array of smoke and mirrrors) so that they now mimic vanilla behaviour almost exactly (to within about 0.05 seconds, anyway).

I'll probably be uploading this to ggrotz sometime this week or the next, and then that should, hopefully, be....done, for the foreseeable future.