Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
MonarchX
Mole Person

This mod is dead, isn't it?

Post by MonarchX »

I was just thinking how nice it would if a dedicated Deus Ex fan won a million dollar lottery and decided to drop $100K on development of this mod. Would that greatly help development? Would that be enough to actually finish the mod in let's say 2-3 months? This entire forums seems abandoned... :( . I was badly looking forward to HDTP release, but it doesn't seem like it will ever happen (aside the BETA's). I had big hopes that HDTP and Revision would be released on the same day and forever enter the gaming history books as mods that and revived and brought Deus Ex into 2015...

Seriously, I know there have been a ton of questions on ETA's and such, but I can't even figure out which thread is used to update members about HDTP development progress. What's the biggest obstacle? Lack of human resources? Funding? Lack of skills (I'm just asking, not stating) ? Lack of time? Lack of momentum/support and/or modding spirit?

What's the actual goal? Is it to replace ever single texture in the game with a higher resolution one along with improved meshes for every object/item? Does that include buildings/big structures? I would happy with new meshes for every or the most frequently used objects/items + high resolution textures for every or the most frequently used textures. ENB can improve the rest well enough, I think.
ggrotz
X-51

Re: This mod is dead, isn't it?

Post by ggrotz »

MonarchX wrote: Seriously, I know there have been a ton of questions on ETA's and such, but I can't even figure out which thread is used to update members about HDTP development progress. What's the biggest obstacle? Lack of human resources? Funding? Lack of skills (I'm just asking, not stating) ? Lack of time? Lack of momentum/support and/or modding spirit?
I can't say I know the goals of anyone closer to the HDTP project - as I understand it, it's just a matter that Deus Ex is an old game and people have moved on to newer and more interesting pursuits. In case you aren't aware, there's the 2nd beta release (http://www.moddb.com/members/ggrotz/dow ... -installer). Besides that, there's another release I'm aware of (call it beta release 3 for lack of a better thing), but all I can say personally is that it'll be ready when it is ready as all I've been doing is providing installer support and testing a little.

As for anything fuller, to directly address your questions, there's enough of a lack of interest (hey it is a 14 year old game) that there's basically just been one guy working on it (and I don't know how far that will last, he will have to speak for himself), and a couple of others offering support since their mods are based off of it. Not sure if there's any people throwing a LOT of graphics support towards it - "beta release 3" will have a handful of them. Then I've agreed to provide installer support for the next release when it comes.

Others will have to say more if they wish, but that's basically my understanding of it.
MonarchX
Mole Person

Post by MonarchX »

I just became aware that HDTP and New Vision will be released with Revision mod! That means HDTP development is coming to its end soon! Are there likely to be updates AFTER Revision mod comes out (which is very VERY soon!) ?
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

MonarchX wrote:I just became aware that HDTP and New Vision will be released with Revision mod! That means HDTP development is coming to its end soon! Are there likely to be updates AFTER Revision mod comes out (which is very VERY soon!) ?
We are just bundling "beta release 3" with Revision, nothing more really. About that, I should try and see if I can wrap up the demo map for HDTP. I was working a little with redesigning the beta map there to showcase all of the new stuff, however it didn't turn out all that well. And I'm no mapper so anything more then copy & paste + simple editing is beyond me. However sort of lost interest since it's a demo map that's not that important, and I've been focusing more on Revision.

The problem is mainly that the game is getting older and older and people just move on, and secondly there aren't enough 3D modelers around to make stuff. There were just a few before and now it's like none. If you could convince someone that can do 3D modeling and someone that can texture those models then I guess we are back in business (since the implementation part isn't that hard for the most part).
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

The beta is good enough. Besides, there won't be bodies in the streets if we can't have a 2003-level graphics mod for a game from 2000. The guy working has made it pretty clear that he doesn't enjoy working on it and I completely empathise with that. It's a huge amount of work for something that very few people will be playing. Plus the original Unreal engine is highly problematic in certain areas - just read through some of the threads here and you'll get an idea.