Bob Page Models WIP (Deus Ex 1 spoilers)

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Mirrorman95
Thug

Bob Page Models WIP (Deus Ex 1 spoilers)

Post by Mirrorman95 »

Alright, so a few years back, Phasmatis released his incomplete HDTP Bob Page models upon my request. After some initial assessment, they've just been sitting on my various hard drives for three years now, but recently I've made some progress with them. I managed to flip the two models with a mirror modifier, because for whatever reason, Phasmatis reversed the orientation of Clothed Page's suit and cranial augs and similarly reversed Augmented Page. I also converted and applied Phasmatis's textures to both models in all the right places. Since there was no HD texture included for Augmented Page's exterior wires, I ripped out the texture from the original game and applied it to him, and that seemed to work just fine. Well, except for the fact that the MAX file called for a jpg, a format which does not support transparency, hence the pink areas. I may not have done much, but I have no experience working with HDTP, and between that and my lack of a number of key programs the HDTP team used, I am now at the limits of what I can currently do with these models on my own.

As stated, the models themselves are incomplete. The Clothed Bob Page model did not have its pants and shoes textured or properly UVed. It may just be easier to just gut them and replace them with HDTP Walton Simons', because his pants and shoes are similar to Page's. He also has no augmentation marks on his hands and neck. His original hand markings were similar to Paul and JC's, so if someone had one of their hand-aug overlays isolated, we could apply them to Page's hands. Most importantly, the model has no animations or bones, and needs to be rigged and/or animated before he can be ported to Deus Ex.

Augmented Page is perhaps the most complete of the two, and would require the least amount of work to finish, because he is completely textured, and the original model was just a Deco with only two basic animations with 10 or 11 frames each. However, his textures are missing key details. The original Augmented Page has black fingerless gloves, blue circuitry on his legs, copper wiring above the blue circuitry going across his arms and thighs, metal knee-braces, and metal fringes on his black underpants. And of course, the texture on the exterior wires connecting him to the Infusion Chamber is the original Low-Definition one, but it wouldn't detract from the model too much if left it as-is. The model's skeleton is missing as well, but the original model's animations were basic and messy, so if he got his mouth-flaps rigged just enough to open and close, that would probably cover it. But even if Augmented Page wasn't animated at all, it would still be a big improvement over the original. Both models may also need some additional rotation, scaling, and positioning to properly replace their LD counterparts.

I can't fix all of these problems by myself, but I may be able to make some additional progress if I had the following resources:
I'd need the latest version of 3ds2de, since I only have V1 of 3ds2de, because the links to V2 are all dead, and 3ds2de_V3 only exists on GitHub as source code which I can't compile. It would also help me greatly if I could be shown the full extent of the pipeline or process the HDTP team uses for replacing Deus Ex's original models with HD ones. I'll also need some way to extract or otherwise obtain the HDTP Walton Simons model, so I can paste the pants and shoes from him onto Clothed Page.

Here are the HDTP Bob Page 3DS Max .max and texture files with the fixes I made to them: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoncPl7zV630jUBs0yOOsjN2RMZ2
If you want to load Clothed Bob Page's model, please switch the file names of HandsTex.psd and HandsTex2.psd, because both models use the former name for their hands textures, and Clothed Page's hands use a slightly darker texture than Augmented Page's (neither of which have Denton-style Aug marks or gloves like they should). Switch the names back when you want to load Augmented Page again.

Finally, here are some screenshots showing the current states of the models:
ImageImage
Bogie
UNATCO

Re: Bob Page Models WIP (Deus Ex 1 spoilers)

Post by Bogie »

That looks really good. I hope it doesn't have the puppet mouth effect like the Walton Simons & JC Denton models.