Re: Reminiscing...

Post by daedulas »

I remember being a young lad here.
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

I hear ya.

To be honest, I've been toying with the idea of making a "DXN: A Bit More Fine-Tuned Than Before Edition" (well, mainly replacing the Clyzm guns with the guns my friend from the Jedi Knight editing days made for his SG-1 Mod for JK back in the day, and maybe fixing that crash bug in one of the last levels) for quite some time now... but each and every time my tentative planning goes from "what else could I fix?" to "BSP", I lose all interest in the idea.

I will never be able to put into words how much I hate BSP, but... dang, BSP sucks!

(Also, to a smaller degree, DXN really is the product of FastGamerr @ 2004-2013, so in that regard it really should remain as a memento of its time)
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

I strongly suggest everyone to join the discord - there's some developments over at the otp discord, and while the GMDX discord is a bit toxic it is probably the most active non-local Deus Ex community.

OTP discord:
https://discord.gg/wsxg6JF

GMDX discord:
https://discord.gg/KPNpS8b
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

AlvinD wrote:God i miss what this place used to be. it saddens me that its near desolate now
I was just thinking the same thing recently. I don't come here often as I used to but when I do there isn't much going on so don't normally stay around long. I remember back when I used to be an active member of DXEditing forums before coming here. Man, that was a long time ago. I still keep thinking that I want to make at least one Deus Ex Mod but don't know if many would play it if I did. I was thinking like something like a few random single player missions or something. I did once had the idea for 2 big mods, but I am not going to make them now as they;d take far too long to make and I don;t have the time to spend hours on them like I would have years ago.

One was a kind of prequel where you could play as one of the main characters just prior to the start of Deus Ex, like play as Jock in Area 51 or Paul Denton when he was sent to assassinate Tracer Tong etc...

My other idea was a mod where it starts directly after the original endings, but instead JC decides to kill Bob Page, but doesn't want the Illuminati to gain power and goes back to Tracer Tong as he likes Tong, just not his overkill idea of destroying everything. A while after JCs return to Hong Kong, Tracer, Paul and JC receive a phone call from someone who sounds exactly like Bob Page. Not long after, Paul becomes very sick after he tries to install new Augmentations and his body violently rejects them, so Tracer decides to take him somewhere to recover. However, he never returns to Hong Kong and no one can get a hold of him.

I had a plot point about Morgan Everett being pissed over Area 51 (It is now run by the scientists and people at X-51) and vowing revenge on JC and you finding out in the end that Bob Page never died and that the Bob Page that JC blew up was a augmented version of him. I had over elaborate ideas for drivable cars, going to Japan to find a scientists that could help in finding Tracer Tong and Paul, then going to Antartica and seeing Paul in a similar way to how you find JC in Invisible War, then having a battle with Illuminati troops that try to kill JC, Tracer and Paul.

Just too bad I never got around to actually making much of those mods, although I did start to make a cowboy western type mod with new music, testures and meshes for schooners, wagons, steer skulls, guitars, conifer trees etc... but stopped it after I realised I was unable to do some things like make character meshes have hats that could be removed, didn';t have any horse meshes or didn't know if it was possible to get a NPC and player to get on and off and ride a horse or be able for the player to get into and to sail a canoe down a river etc... plus I didn't have meshes for period guns that I could use (I didn't know how to animate meshes then so didn't know how to make my own)
Last edited by Morpheus on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

I once considered making a new version of Nihilum titled DXN - Pantomime Theatre, which not only would have removed all voice acting whatsoever, but also converted every single texture into a black and white one, in addition to replacing the music with early 20th century like organ music (the battle music would have been such a version of the Zodiac Labs Combat theme from ZODIAC, which I still find quite funny ;)) and possibly even replacing the villain characters' skins with more mime-looking ones.

(That one would still be quite manageable, as it wouldn't require touching BSP)

(And maybe I would have done something about that one game crashing bug in the last level)

(Alas.)