Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
metche_steele
Illuminati

Website Sticky

Post by metche_steele »

Your comments, suggestions and complaints about our website!
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

Thanks Metche for this sticky web thread. It'll help me be more productive, as I won't have to scour the forum looking for people's complaints and suggestions.
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

Alright, all you modellers and texturers, listen up!

As E.L. has already found out, there a brand new Texture and Model Database page up and running. You can access it at

http://www.offtopicproductions.com/hdtp/texturemanager

or by clicking on "Current Mod/Tex List" on the main page.

I made everything from scratch, including the login system, so everything should be secure. The logins for everyone is the same as the old system, if you forgot your login, just PM me, and I'll get right on it.

Usage wise, it pretty easy. Once you've logged in, just scroll down to whatever model, click on the "edit" button, and then fill in whatever fields on the next page.

NOTE ABOUT ATTACHING FILES

PHP limits file uploading to 2MB, so if your texture or model file is larger than 2MB, post about it here (not the actualy file :) ). I'm going to talk to the hosts of HDTP and see if they can do something about increasing the size of uploads.

And if you could, it would help me if you modelers and texturers posted average file sizes for your various models and textures. That would help me get a feel for how big most files are and plan accordingly

END NOTE ABOUT ATTACHING FILES

There are some other fetures of the new system that I wont go into now, but if you have any questions, feel free to post a comment, suggestion, or question, and I'll answer it as best as I can.

Enjoy the fruit of my labor, and I hope it helps keep HDTP organized through the next few phases.

Master_Kale, out! :mrgreen:
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

This is great! And it will keep us all enlightened as to progress. I shall be making an official news post tomorrow morning sharp.

Metche.

EDIT: Please will all artists use the texture manager now. It is a visual indication of progress and we require everyone to be hot on the case. Keep it updated folks! And upload your files at the first opportunity - there is no excuse :)
Ajare
MJ12

Post by Ajare »

Cool system, being a ridiculously over-organised control-freak I love it. However, what would be even cooler would be a distinction between 'working on', and 'completed'. Maybe a text field for the former and an icon for the latter? For both models and textures. Maybe you could then use these checkboxes to 'drive' the progress-bars on the main page?

And if you want to go completely over the top, you could make the comments automatically signed by whoever made them (so we know who said what). Also, a visual indication of whether the models/textures have been uploaded would be the icing on the cake. Demanding person, aren't I :D Anyway, keep up the good work!
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

Ajare wrote:Cool system, being a ridiculously over-organised control-freak I love it. However, what would be even cooler would be a distinction between 'working on', and 'completed'. Maybe a text field for the former and an icon for the latter? For both models and textures. Maybe you could then use these checkboxes to 'drive' the progress-bars on the main page?

And if you want to go completely over the top, you could make the comments automatically signed by whoever made them (so we know who said what). Also, a visual indication of whether the models/textures have been uploaded would be the icing on the cake. Demanding person, aren't I :D Anyway, keep up the good work!
Nah, this is perfect! I love feedback on things I've made, especially if its my first go at making something as detailed as the texture list.

As for your suggestions:

1. I've thought about addressing "working on" and "completed". At the moment, I haven't really thought of a good way to do that, but who knows? I plan on tweaking the system a bit, so an idea might come to me.

2. Using checkboxes to drive the progress bar would definetly be interesting, but I'd rather that be a seperate number handled by Metche. She knows best :)

3. Automatically signing comments is an easy thing to do, so I'll look into that.

4. I've already become frustrated with not being able to tell if a file has been uploaded or not, so building an indication system is the next big tweak to the site I have planned. Look for it sometime this week.

Thanks Ajare!

And everyone else who uses the system, please! Keep those comments and suggestions coming!
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

Master_Kale wrote:4. I've already become frustrated with not being able to tell if a file has been uploaded or not, so building an indication system is the next big tweak to the site I have planned. Look for it sometime this week.
Alright, I added a nifty little indicator system to the main texture database page, so you can tell if a file has been uploaded for each texture and/or model. If the icon is black, it means no one has uploaded a file yet.

If the icon is green, though, it means that some one has uploaded a file, and you can click on the icon to DOWNLOAD THE FILE!!!

Nifty, ain't it? :mrgreen:
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Very very sexy! I agree with Ajare, I think Completed by could be replaced with Working on or Working on could be added but yeah a huge time saver and very cool. :D
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I'd change the name of the "HDTP Banner" to something like "HDTPGraphic.jpg" or something. Banners are almost always ads, and this banner gets-
Privoxy Request: www.offtopicproductions.com/hdtp/pics/banner.jpg crunch!
(Block ".*banner.*")

Also I'm having trouble posting in the forum-reorganization thread, the BBCode I'm using seems valid....all I get is the "The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request." so I don't have much more info to give, maybe it's in the logs. I posted in it sucessfully an hour or so ago.

http://www.fuzzymonkey.org/newfuzzy/art ... AQ.shtml#2
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

This banner issue will probably be addressed in the next update. Thanks for the tip ;)

I cant vouch for the bb though..
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I caught the line causing the error. Had to preview my post a couple dozen times to find it. I 'd post it here but it causes an error here too. An extremely predictable error. I'll try private messaging it to Master Kale.

edit: nope, same there. emailing it to the hotmail address.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Mind sending that my way? Jonas and I are actually the forum Admins, Master_Kale tends the HDTP website.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

No problem, email forwarded. Sorry MasterKale for sending a useless message :oops:

The line is really simple, I must have hit an odd key combination when typing it and gotten something unicode in there.
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

Oh whoa is me! The GiSol host seems to be inadequate at allowing for addon domains, so I am forced to entertain such thoughts as perhaps moving the entire HDTP site over to my host D:

If this was approved, the hdtp.net domain would actually work as I would know how to set everything up on my end, but the caveat is that I might run out of bandwidth. I have more than enough web space (around 750MB, but I just downloaded all of HDTP for backup purposes and it came out to around 100MB, even with all of the UM files), so that won't be a problem. I also believe I have 40GB of monthly bandwidth, but I have no idea how much bandwidth HDTP uses per month.

Anyway, something to think about. Don't feel like you have to go with this simply because I bought the domain, I actually posted this here because I'm hoping someone else (*cough*Trestkon*cough*) might have a better way of doing this.

And DON'T anyone mention setting up redirection on my end; I already tried that, and it works terribly, setting up frames and loading the redirected site in it. As JC12 found out, that method doesn't work on any link that opens in a new window (i.e. the Upload Manager), as it shows the old URL.

I am tired, if you have any questions I'll answer them in the morning.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Didn't it work earlier today?

Anyway, the only way I think it may work the way you want it, is by setting the DNS record of www.hdtp.net to the IP address of offtopicproductions.com and have Trestkon or Jonas configure the OTP server to serve /HDTP as root if the requested domain name is www.hdtp.net.

Simple in IIS, not very hard in Apache. If you have the rights to do such things of course ;)