Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Re: OpenGL Renderer

Post by justanotherfan »

Probably ;-). Just some sarcasm. Deus Ex now has HDR, somehow.

On ray tracing, different companies occasionally demo ray tracing games running real-time on modern hardware. It probably isn't going to be popular for a while. Intel has been pushing it recently, but only on computers with maybe a dozen CPUs.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Per-pixel lighting might markedly improve HDTP though: one of the major limitations we have is that no matter how nice our models and textures look, they're still going to be using the shitty unreal engine's lighting algorithms.

...will have to test tonight. ;)
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Wait, Deus Ex now has HDR lighting? :shock:
SMP Dev
Mole Person

Post by SMP Dev »

It's only fairly limited use of anything HDR in this case. All the lighting changes are mesh only. The per pixel part is just Phong instead of Gouraud. The HDR part allows the total lighting contribution to extend beyond 1.0 before applying to the base texture. Easy to have extended range up to this point with single pass shader lighting. However it gets stuck going back to limited range before storing in the frame buffer. No tone mapping. Simply scaled / clamped if too bright at this point.

I think I finally figured out what was wrong with the trees and fixed it, without using the Chainsaw Melee mutator.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hello SMP Dev, welcome to the forums. Who are you?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Jonas wrote:Hello SMP Dev, welcome to the forums. Who are you?
He'd be the creator of the enhanced renderer.

Welcome to the forums, SMP!
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

Looks good but I have something set wrong lol. For some reason, any images such as pictures on the wall show up in segments that rotate as you change your perspective
Hmm, I really wish I had a signature...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Trestkon wrote:He'd be the creator of the enhanced renderer.
Ah yes I expected as much, but I didn't want to jump to conclusions.

Thanks for dropping by, SMP :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
SMP Dev
Mole Person

Post by SMP Dev »

Yes, I'm the one who did what eventually added up to a lot of work on the renderer over the years. Haven't been working on it as much since stopped actively playing UT a number of years ago, but I still like to keep it maintained when have the time and can find something potentially useful to do.

If see any glitches with the beta renderer with the new features enabled, try toggling NewMeshPath through Advanced Options while running windowed. If have the pixel lighting disabled, the new mesh path should look nearly identical, though not necessarily pixel identical for a few reasons. If see any significant differences here, it's probably something I missed. One thing I know of so far. The fire on the burning corpses in TNM gets moved a little bit higher when going through the new mesh path.

If encounter problems with the non-beta renderer and using OpenGL, I usually recommend trying the D3D9 renderer instead. Far less chance of running into driver bugs when using a recent enough version of D3D. Jumpy artifacts seen on things very close to walls when move around could be z-fighting. Should make sure running in 32-bit color in case have a video card where color and z depth end up tied together. Or could try enabling the ZRangeHack option to see if it changes anything, but I was hoping this one wouldn't be needed for Deus Ex. I know it can break some things in UT, but I think what it breaks there is usually less important than what it can fix (it's most often problems with far away decals, even with 24-bit z).
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

SMP Dev wrote:If see any glitches with the beta renderer with the new features enabled, try toggling NewMeshPath through Advanced Options while running windowed. If have the pixel lighting disabled, the new mesh path should look nearly identical, though not necessarily pixel identical for a few reasons. If see any significant differences here, it's probably something I missed. One thing I know of so far. The fire on the burning corpses in TNM gets moved a little bit higher when going through the new mesh path.
Where is this Advanced options? Is it one of the things you define in the Deusex.ini under OpenGL driver? or am I just missing something painfully obvious
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

UT had a prefs window that could be called from the console in-game. I don't think I ever tried that with Deus Ex.
DDL

Post by DDL »

Use the talk prompt in game, just like you do for cheats, only type "preferences"
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

Thanks, I never even knew about that menu. I finally have auto save also ^^

Still have some glitching, but I need to play with all the settings and get it actually set for my hardware
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

SMP Dev wrote:It's only fairly limited use of anything HDR in this case. All the lighting changes are mesh only. The per pixel part is just Phong instead of Gouraud. The HDR part allows the total lighting contribution to extend beyond 1.0 before applying to the base texture. Easy to have extended range up to this point with single pass shader lighting. However it gets stuck going back to limited range before storing in the frame buffer. No tone mapping. Simply scaled / clamped if too bright at this point.

I think I finally figured out what was wrong with the trees and fixed it, without using the Chainsaw Melee mutator.
Wow I did not understand a word of that :shock:
PrimusPilus
Mole Person

Post by PrimusPilus »

Hey folks,

I'm wondering if you can help me out as I seem to be having an issue with the renderer. Let me start by saying that at first I thought it might be either the HDTP mod or New Vision causing the isuuse, however, I've uninstalled/re-installed and am now working with Deus Ex patched to 1112fm(the latest patch anyway), and both the OpenGL and the DirectX 9 renderer installed only for comparison. I'm using a Radeon 9800pro.

The issue is that with the OpenGL renderer, I am forced to start the game twice as I get sever black lines and blotches which appear when the Deus Ex title page appears and this carries over to the game. Starting a second time seems to clean up this issue. After that, I'm still getting what looks like pixelation on the actors faces and bodies. It is noticable during the cut scene intro as Page's face gets pixellated in red and Simons' body gets flickering black pixelation. It is also noticable during your first conversation with Paul immediately after he gives you your choice of weapons and the camera gives a close up of his face. It appears Paul has a flickering case of black acne.

Related I am sure is now the game crashes my PC seemingly randomly. I have tried multple settings in the Deusex.ini, but nothing seems to correct the issue. Using the DirectX 9 renderer, I don't seem to experience these issues. I know the simple solution is to use that renderer, however, I also am keen on using HDTP and New Vision as they are both exactly the type of Mods I love.

I hope you can help.