Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

We've been considering thunder and lightning. It's pretty far down the list, but if we get around to it, it will work by means of a flashing light in the skybox timed with a nice sound effect, and it should be quite easy to implement. Picking the levels for rain shouldn't be too complicated. I say put rain in every out-door level. Ever watched Blade Runner? I'm convinced the DX devs would've put rain everywhere if they'd had the means to do it without slaughtering the average PC back then. Rain MAKES a dystopian setting.

And if you think that's overdoing it, at the very least put rain in NYC. Those levels are BEGGING for rainy weather.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Ah a man that knows his Cyberpunk, Blade Runner is one of the best CP films of all time. Anyone been able to find a copy of the game? I heard its just as good as the film.

Yeah definately, NYC needs rain. But just make sure the liberty island scene isn't raining. Because its more fun the way it is.

With the rest of the NYC trips it should be always different. That'd stop the game from becoming boring when you always return to the same area!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

You can download the Blade Runner game from here:
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=129
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

cant download it though. You can only buy it
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Oh sorry, I wasn't paying attention. Still though, there's a version of the game for you :giggle:
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I think I must have some French version laying around here, my first game on DVD, and I didn't understand a word they said :|
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

"arg, English side ruined.. must read french side...
Le Grilll? Le Grill? what the hell is that?" - Homer Simpson
Iki
Thug

Post by Iki »

There's always the C64 version if you are that way inclined... it is fucking hard though. Their version of the Blade Runner theme is damn awesome. :D
We will cook you to appease our sexy god!
Darkshade
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Darkshade »

I have that game around here somewhere. A long time ago I played it for hours straight, ate way too much of something, and puked all night. I havn't played it since. If I knew where it was I'ld just mail the disks to you.
Red
NSF

Post by Red »

Ah, weather effects. Everybody loves a menacing thunderbolt. I don't know if this is viable, but how about some cleverly timed lighting effects to complement those terribly dramatic lightening bursts?

In the Sniper Town level of Allied Assault, every time a thunderbolt struck, dark rooms lit up for seconds as light poured through the windows. The outline of the window would light up on the floor and shadow effects would go crazy. Well, I thought it was cool, anyway.

Obviously, there is only a few chances for a flash to show through a door or window in Hell's Kitchen -- which I assume is going to be the chief level for weather effects. But also stealthily crawling down a street only to see a German -- er, UNATCO/NSF soldier or two illuminated in a bright flash of lightening would be very cool.

But then again, my guess is that it would be hard to do. After all, I'm just a liitle person with no experience in anything even mildly technical. I've mastered the mechanincs of turning a door knob, but anything more advanced is beyond me. Still, anything that would make Deus Ex even MORE atmospheric is fine with me.
If at first you try and don't succeed, cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie.