FORUM CHANGES ANNOUNCEMENT - IMPORTANT -

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Phasmatis wrote:That won't be the case, infact I will be posting something in there soon. When I put Gunther up, I was more or less ready to call him done yet there were a load of comments about him and I changed him, that will also be the case with the rest of the characters.
I hope so. That was good, the model was pretty much ready while the texture was being tweaked after. I'm thinking the DeveloperJournal area was to be more to show models with textures already done for them, things that everyone within the project was already satisfied with. But you're right, it depends on how it's used, and it sound like you'd use it well. So if the change is here to stay, lets see what can be done :)
Trestkon wrote:Hmm, you must have checked us out quite a long while ago, back when we weren't so regular with our news updates. We've been posted weekend updates for over a year now.
Yeah, it was quite some time ago. I wasn't too much into the DX community since it was mainly modding, and I liked the original and couldn't code for game engines. When the mods started releasing a bit more, I was in OS X (which plays DX very poorly, mod installers are sometimes exe)...by the time I had a PC that could play DX and found a windows copy of it, most mods 404'ed or had the last post "We'll be updating more really soon" from a couple years previous...I didn't understand what TNM was, and didn't see anything I could install. I think the only mod I ended up playing with was the Casandra Project and an early version of Hotel Carone. I noticed you've been updating pretty constantly, it's very admirable, you've got me interested.

When HDTP first started I wanted a release as soon as possible....the previous projects had made progress and never released anything at all, people only found out about them once they had been abandoned. Of course HDTP has had much more, better, and constant progress, so I'm not worried about that anymore.
Trestkon wrote:It's quite possible that the best results would be obtained if everyone had an input, however, it would likley take at least 10 times as long to complete anything. For proof, I point you to any democratic government, and the amount of time it takes them to do anything at all:-p
True, in a dictatorship, things get done, yet it's generally agreed that democracy is more desirable. I think it's the characters that matter, so things like the 40, Montybites, VendingMachine, etc can all be the mystery updates, but I think there should be lots of input on characters. JC Denton may be the most difficult to remake, but I think he'd require the most input to recreate well.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Ahh the mighty Dictatorship.. Why couldn't we be a monarch? thats more funy ;) Then we can have Lords, Kings and Queens. lol
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

justanotherfan wrote:True, in a dictatorship, things get done, yet it's generally agreed that democracy is more desirable.
In mod teams, I think that it's generally best to go with a democracy, but with one or two people "in charge" and with the authority to make a final decision.

The larger the team, the more important that there's someone capable of taking charge.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Look guys, just give us a chance and trust our decision. I know it sucks right now because we have no articles in the dev forum ...but Ive asked a couple of the guys to put something together (their next projects).

The dev forum wont be a 'this is the final model/tex - here you go -we really aint looking for comments - but just look'. That would be stupid. Its about allowing the guys to get the model/tex in a more 'ready' state - then posting the work in the dev forum and give you guys the opportunity to throw as many reasonable crits our way. However, if an artist wishes to put out a lesser completed piece, for example, if we cant decide on something internally, then they are free to use the dev forum for that purpose also. Lets not make this an 'inflexible' medium here. this is about efficiency not restriction.

Change is always a difficult one - trust me it was a difficult decision for me to make. I have no intention of closing the community out here - far from it - I want to bring the community in closer to this project and have way more input than you have already. But I have to maintain order (without the red tape I might add!). Its hard work running a team of 14 artists ...its no easy matter.

Anyways, I hope you guys understand and bear with us while we make these adjustments :) It is appreciated greatly! Despite what you may think!

Metche.

EDIT: For the record - if we started churning out major characters without asking for the opinion of the community - we might as well not bother and call it a day. It would be akin to shooting ourselves in the foot!

Very minor things we will keep underwraps - but major items like characters we simply cant call the shots on without your help!!
Ajare
MJ12

Post by Ajare »

How do we, the members, go about posting in the Journal forum? Can we just put up anything we like, or do we need a release form signed in triplicate with at least eight witnesses?
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Ajare wrote:How do we, the members, go about posting in the Journal forum? Can we just put up anything we like, or do we need a release form signed in triplicate with at least eight witnesses?
lol nothing quite so laborious ....but hmm now that you mention it!

Just go right ahead and post items you are READY to get community feedback for ;)

Metche.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Trestkon wrote:In mod teams, I think that it's generally best to go with a democracy, but with one or two people "in charge" and with the authority to make a final decision.
So it's more like a republic then? metche for president! :P

Anyway, I understand why the tex and model forums have been made unavailable for the public. I hope the dev thingie will be a worthy replacement :)
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

It's a single party republic democracy lol.. (democratic because it gives people freedom of speech, and a single party cause Metche is the only one running for president lol)

I'll go rent us the riged voting machines from florida..