I have an idea for yas all

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Solid_Choke
UNATCO

Post by Solid_Choke »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:So you're suggesting that we find some guns, and record the sounds ourselves??? are you nutz..
I have access for a wide variety of firearms but no sound equipment. I live in AZ, USA if anyone is interested.
Yixian
Thug

Post by Yixian »

I was only thinking of the music, I personally don't think the SFX needs to be updated because it didn't suffer due to the lack of technoogy at the time, whereas things like authentic sounding orchestral strings and bass weren't available for those kinds of soundtrack back in the day.

In fact, many developers chicken out and go for the synths even today, but strings are infinitely more emotive and atmospheric.

I emailed you metche about the guy I mentioned, his work is nothing short of outstanding and I can really see him working wodners with the original music.
lofaesofa
UNATCO

Post by lofaesofa »

Sivak Drac did some good solo piano versions of many of the Deus Ex tracks.

If you're interested, Sivak's work can be found here:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=111104

Personally I don't think tracks like UNATCO or NYC Streets would benefit at all from being redone for ingame use. I'm not even convinced that the title track would be worth redoing. I think it would ruin the feel. Synth is much more Deus Ex in my opinion. A fully orchestrated version wouldn't go with the setting.

Another link to follow; an interview with Alex Brandon, the guy that worked on the Deus Ex soundtrack:
http://www.music4games.net/f_alexbrandon.html

Futher reading introduced me to Dan Gardopee, another chap that worked on the soundtrack. I puzzled for a moment as I was sure i'd seen that name before and it took me a bit to work out where. Dan Gardopee worked with Andrew Sega to write the music to Crusader series (No Remorse, No Regret), both of which I adore! I see both of their names scroll across the screen when I listen to the music :)

Also, stealing media from other games is a bad idea.
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

I would prefer that the sound remain the same. I think they match up nicely with the weapons in-game, and if we attempt to redefine those sounds, we may take away from the futuristic feel the weapons have. I say HDTP should just stick with remodelling the physical object, not remixing the sound.

AND DON'T TOUCH ANY OF THE IN-GAME MUSIC! I really like the OST for DX, and I'd hate to have a wonderful game associated with none of its original music.
Solid_Choke
UNATCO

Post by Solid_Choke »

Master_Kale wrote:I would prefer that the sound remain the same. I think they match up nicely with the weapons in-game, and if we attempt to redefine those sounds, we may take away from the futuristic feel the weapons have. I say HDTP should just stick with remodelling the physical object, not remixing the sound.

AND DON'T TOUCH ANY OF THE IN-GAME MUSIC! I really like the OST for DX, and I'd hate to have a wonderful game associated with none of its original music.
I agree. I think synthetic music fits better into the atmosphere of the Deus Ex world.
Yixian
Thug

Post by Yixian »

Did this get anywhere? I still think that Deus Ex would benefit immensely from a true-to-original remastered soundtrack. There are literally hundreds of extremely talented, independant digital music fiends out there who'd love to put this together, simply replacing old samples with new, perhaps orchestral ones.

Though perhaps it is "another" mod, not part of HDTP, but the two together I'm sure would be stunning.
lofaesofa
UNATCO

Post by lofaesofa »

No, it's not something Metche and I have discussed at the moment. We've been concentrating on the textures/models side of the project. If we had volunteers that had an remastered track of the game then perhaps we would consider it. Otherwise I don't think we'll pursue it yet.