Wikipedia Article

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Solid_Choke
UNATCO

Post by Solid_Choke »

Ajare wrote:Well, to be honest the reasons for deletion are fair. Wikipedia is not an advertising tool. Still, I very much appreciate your enthusiasm.
I disagree. I think it only makes sense to have a desciption of the project since several mods are mentioned in the artice on Deus Ex. I mean there are many half-life modifications that have pages and desciptions on wikipedia; why not Deus Ex? It's not like we are trying to sell something...just to provide information to the Deus Ex article readers about an important development in the Deus Ex community.
Darkshade
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Darkshade »

One might argue that it was used for advertising. The maker has revealed that motive.
Otherwise, I, for one, would argue that it was simply making the information available for those who wanted to know what TNM is.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Please delete the DONATE TO WIKIPEDIA button then!
Rick-sama
Thug

Post by Rick-sama »

Now, I love this mod but...
I think the mod has to be really popular to get a wikipedia page.
And this mod isn't even done yet for God's sake.
Having a page for an incomplete mod with a small community seems like advertising to me.
When the mod is nearly done, THEN you could make a wiki page, then add really cool comparison screenshots to the page.
That might prove the worth of the mod to the wiki people and they won't delete it.
You also have to have extensive information about the mod... many paragraphs.
You have to make it sound important enough, and BE important enough to have a page.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Because we all know everything on Wikipedia is extremely important to everybody and, indeed, to the very future of fucking mankind.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Rick-sama
Thug

Post by Rick-sama »

You're right, let's not make a Wikipedia page at all, no matter how awesome this mod is when it's done.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

How many paragraphs could you write about HDTP, anyway?

Take old models: remake them, only better. No, we're not doing level geometry textures. We are doing all the characters, and they look awesome.

That's pretty much IT.

I mean, you could go "Yes, we are making a new model of the alarmlight. Yes, we are also making a new model of the alarmunit. Yes, we are also making a new model of the lasertrigger. Yes, we are also making a new model of the vending machine......"

For quite a few paragraphs, but jesus wept: why bother? Alright, maybe for shits and giggles, but otherwise?
Rick-sama
Thug

Post by Rick-sama »

Why the hell is it called High Definition Texture Pack if the textures aren't being redone?
Shouldn't it be called High Definition Model Pack?
It won't be worth a wiki page unless the textures are redone.
DDL

Post by DDL »

God almighty, all the models DO have textures, you know.

I just don't understand at what point you mutated into such an argumentative 'tard, nor when you became the ultimate authority on all things wiki.

A) Redoing ALL the level textures would take fucking years, and you're complaining about HDTP not being finished as it IS.

B) Having seen all the incredible work put in by all the HDTP people, it just..grates to listen to someone go on about how it's not, apparently, worth the effort. If all people are like you, then no, perhaps it's not. But we have to hope that most people will actually get a kick out of all this stuff, rather than immediately finding faults whereever they can.

Ghaa..but I'm ranting. Undiplomatically, at that. Sorry.
Rick-sama
Thug

Post by Rick-sama »

God almighty, when did everybody decide to hate and misunderstand me.
I'm not complaining or argueing. I love what the team is doing.
I just said that the name of the mod is misleading because all the textures aren't being done.
The name of the mod sounds like the textures are being redone, but it's basically just the models.
When did I claim to know everything about wiki?
I just said that the people at wiki wouldn't have a page about HDTP unless it was important enough.
It seems like everybody is being mean to me this week for no reason.
DDL

Post by DDL »

Ok, maybe it's just that you're coming across as so 'this is wrong, this isn't worthy of a wiki page, this this this etc etc', which is sort of annoying. Especially considering the mass of utterly useless crap wikipedia accumulates.

And I'm hot, bothered and overworked, so I'm probably just being an arse. Sorry about that.

So: what began as "the HDTP" intended to redo ALL the textures and all the models. This was still the case until about a year or so ago, where it became very clear that the models plus model textures side of things was progressing quite well, whereas the level textures side of things was really not feasible (there are simply hundreds upon hundreds of them).

Nevertheless, HDTP is redoing virtually ALL the lower density textures of ALL the models (pretty much anything below the maximum of 256x256 pixels that could actually benefit from a new texture HAS been redone), and redoing the vast majority of the models, too, because the low density models look silly with the high density textures.

Anyway, that's a SHITLOAD of textures. So the name is still valid. But if you still think the name is too misleading, THAT WOULD BE SOMETHING A WIKI PAGE COULD CLEAR UP FOR YOU. :D

Does that make sense?[/i]
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Rick-sama wrote:God almighty, when did everybody decide to hate and misunderstand me.
I'm not complaining or argueing. I love what the team is doing.
I just said that the name of the mod is misleading because all the textures aren't being done.
The name of the mod sounds like the textures are being redone, but it's basically just the models.
When did I claim to know everything about wiki?
I just said that the people at wiki wouldn't have a page about HDTP unless it was important enough.
It seems like everybody is being mean to me this week for no reason.
http://offtopicproductions.com/hdtp/about.php

I personally have ensured that no one is mislead. Ive always made it clear we wouldnt do level textures. I have also always refered to our new textures as 'object textures' so people can differentiate.
Rick-sama
Thug

Post by Rick-sama »

DDL wrote:But if you still think the name is too misleading, THAT WOULD BE SOMETHING A WIKI PAGE COULD CLEAR UP FOR YOU. :D
The name is misleading to everybody that doesn't know anything about the mod.
I don't know how somebody could deny that.
"High Definition TEXTURE Pack... oh that's cool, they're retexturing DX... oh wait, it's just the models..."
Now, I know that the models have textures, but the name HDTP sounds like it encompasses ALL textures and not just the ones on the models.
Even if the name is misleading, I still think that the name itself, HDTP, is better than say.. "HDMP."
HDMP sounds like "Something Something Multi Player."
So, what I'm trying to say is, the name HDTP is fine, it's just misleading.
Somebody who hasn't heard of the mod will probably be confused at first, but all they have to do is check the about page to see what the mod is about.

And I hate being insulted or called names because I am, for some reason, occasionally misunderstood and thought to be "just some asshole."
Even though I'm the nicest, most sensitive person you've ever met.
Billy Bob Joe
Thug

Post by Billy Bob Joe »

Does it MATTER that some random guy that doesn't bother to read the "about" page thinks that they're redoing ALL the textures in DX? Is it some kind of HORRIBLE sin that the name isn't "HDTP(BWNDATTTATMLTTDAOT)" (High Definition Texture Project (But we're not doing all the textures, there are too many level textures to do all of them))?

"Even though I'm the nicest, most sensitive person you've ever met."

As far as I know, saying that a certain mod that many people have put a lot of work into isn't worth making a wiki page for because they're not redoing the hundreds of land textures isn't very nice. Stop acting like you're the victim here. You're not.
Rick-sama
Thug

Post by Rick-sama »

Billy Bob Joe wrote:Does it MATTER that some random guy that doesn't bother to read the "about" page thinks that they're redoing ALL the textures in DX? Is it some kind of HORRIBLE sin that the name isn't "HDTP(BWNDATTTATMLTTDAOT)" (High Definition Texture Project (But we're not doing all the textures, there are too many level textures to do all of them))?
I didn't say it mattered. Why are you getting all huffy?
Billy Bob Joe wrote:As far as I know, saying that a certain mod that many people have put a lot of work into isn't worth making a wiki page for because they're not redoing the hundreds of land textures isn't very nice. Stop acting like you're the victim here. You're not.
I think it should have a Wikipedia page, but I don't make the rules there.
If they say it's not worth it then that's just too bad.