Smokes DX mod

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I'm For Customation too. The game states on the box that you can customise the agent (augmentations only) however you want... Why not the physical form too.

The light radius idea is GREAT! it looks more real now. (you can't even see the polys!)

Bloody weapons... well it appears to be a little toooo bloody. if it were less bloody then i'd like the idea. This goes for Blood water too.

Great mod, I'll play it in about 3 weeks when i've got nothing to do.
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Jonas wrote:
metche_steele wrote:the weather effects (once TNM have put them in a state we can easily use)
I don't think that's ever gonna happen. The rain effects need you to split the map into new zones, and that can't be done through code. You'd have to include new versions of all the maps with rain.

Ack thats painful to hear :(
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Well it could be done of course, the question is: Where do you want to put rain? If it comes down to 10 maps, it wouldn't be that great an addition to the size of the mod, and you can always put it out as an optional download.

Just make sure you get somebody who knows what he's doing to implement it, you wouldn't want to actually add BSP errors to the game ;)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Jonas wrote:Well it could be done of course, the question is: Where do you want to put rain? If it comes down to 10 maps, it wouldn't be that great an addition to the size of the mod, and you can always put it out as an optional download.

Just make sure you get somebody who knows what he's doing to implement it, you wouldn't want to actually add BSP errors to the game ;)
Ill have to bring it up at our next meeting! Id like to consider this further.
Darkshade
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Darkshade »

My opinion on the matter is as follows:

HDTP, by definition, is all about textures and models... but as we all know, there are many many things about the game that could easily stand some defining (clean up). There have been a lot of good ideas tossed around, and I'm sure there are a lot more out there. While it's understandable that they'ld be disregarded as they are not graphical, I believe it would only be a good thing to include them and do what we can with them.

As I havn't been with HDTP long, and I can't say I've been able to do much for it, I don't expect this to have much precedence - so don't think I'll be offended if the idea I will now present is shot down - that's fine with me, I just want to throw it out there.

HDTP, be it graphic oriented or not, is pretty much being looked apon as the group that will make Deus Ex astronomically better. While the work that has already been done and the work that is being done will certainly fulfill this expectation, adding in scripts and mods will only make people like it more; both the game and HDTP. Even though a lot of the changes (as mentioned above) are relatively small, they'll have wonderful effects - I know that I personally would love to have those mods (or... atleast... most of them).

I'm sure there are a few people in this group including myself that have some experience modding/programming that could be applied to this, as well as this fellow who did these mods (perhaps he'ld be interested in combinding forces, as mentioned previously).

In conclusion, I believe that these mods as well as some others could be wonderful assets to this project. Can you imagine all the wonderful comments that'ld be posted when we told the world we were going to be adding quite a few mods for their enjoyment?

Heck, we could even have an option on the installation to add (or not add) each individual mod...

Anyways, just some thoughts. :)
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

As I havn't been with HDTP long, and I can't say I've been able to do much for it, I don't expect this to have much precedence - so don't think I'll be offended if the idea I will now present is shot down - that's fine with me, I just want to throw it out there.
You're sounding like me... lol. at least someones learning from me making a huge arse of myself on the forums.

well i agree that is a good idea. However, I also expect the whole "Out of Scope" argument to be placed here. Whilst somke's mod is a graphical modification, it is also a gameplay modification. This is a grey area which im not sure would be accepted by all..

I also agree that elements should be optional in HDTP, that way we can choose what to install and what not to. (for benchmarking and running on lower end pcs)
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I think that the gameplay shouldn't be altered. I want to be able to play the old Deus Ex with much improved graphics. The gameplay wasn't a huge part of what made Deus Ex unique (without the story it's very much a FPS), but some mods could really change the experience.

Of course, that's just the concept of sensible defaults. If more can be done, then add as much as possible. I want to be able to play through the old Deus Ex, but I'd also like a much improved version too, where there are actual weather conditions to match the mood of a level, and other customizations to make it more realistic if different to play.

If HDTP's scope is limited, and some of these improvements could be work-intensive, then I'd think that an extra phase tacked on at the end wouldn't make much of an impact on the rest of the project. Keeping the original feel of the game is important, but adding an option to improve and modernize the game itself beyond the textures and models, that's a huge benefit.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

justanotherfan wrote:The gameplay wasn't a huge part of what made Deus Ex unique (without the story it's very much a FPS)
Eh? Remember how FPS' worked before Deus Ex? They were all of the extremely linear Quake-type and they were all pure FPS' with nothing but a weapon, a health-meter, and an ammo counter. Deus Ex merged the FPS genre with adventure (all the text devices and character interaction) and RPG elements (the skill points, the augmentations, the weapon mods, the different ammo types, the significant choices...).

The sad thing is most FPS' are still of the extremely linear Quake-type, but now they all have (non-optional) variations in the gameplay such as Half-Life 2's driveable vehicles and Doom 3's PDA's.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Linear games can work.. You can do Deus Ex style, depite the many options you have you still need to follow the same path.. Deus Ex was the first game to offer optional paths to the same objective.

But anyway your hijacking the topic. we're talking about Smokes modification and how it can be useful to us.

Smokes work seems very very cool. I say, if smoke wants to incorporate HDTP then let him, dont do it the other way around because we've got to priorities. The reason why, is because what he wants to do is out of HDTPs scope... but what we want to do is within Smoke's scope. Thats the only way I think we can walkabout this issue.

Let him incorporate HDTP.. not the other way around.

We should still support smokes efforts though, he's done some amazing things with the game.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:Let him incorporate HDTP.. not the other way around.
As far as I know, Smoke has no ambitions to expand his mod. That mod was all about him playing around with the code, I would be (pleasantly) surprised if he suddenly decided to use all your new models for it.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

well he succeeded at gaining a fanbase if that wasn't his intention.. its worth persuing further and yes I too would be pleased to see him use our models and textures. So long as he has permission to do so.. and if he wanted to i guess.
Smoke39
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Smoke39 »

Jonas wrote:
As far as I know, Smoke has no ambitions to expand his mod. That mod was all about him playing around with the code, I would be (pleasantly) surprised if he suddenly decided to use all your new models for it.
I don't think making stuff use new models would really be very difficult to accomplish. The real work is the creation of the new art assets, ie the HDTP itself.

Anyway, regardless of whether or not I would be requested to implement the HDTP in my mod, and regardless of whether or not I would oblige such a request at the time, I'll probably end up coming back to toying with DX again eventually. For all I know that time could coincide with the completion of the HDTP. ;b

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:well he succeeded at gaining a fanbase if that wasn't his intention.. its worth persuing further and yes I too would be pleased to see him use our models and textures. So long as he has permission to do so.. and if he wanted to i guess.
I never intended to release it, or even show it to anyone, really. When I stumbled across DXE by complete accident, I was actually kinda surprised with the positive response to my work. The mod probably would have never left my hard drive if none of that had happened.

Doesn't the fact that you'd like to see your stuff in my mod sort of imply that I would have permission? :b
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

its metche's decesision based on the terms of usage she decides to apply to the mod. I can't speak for Metche because im not in a position to say. You'd need to speak to her about it because she's the PM after all and id assume the person responsible for the distribution. Unless its someone else? do I have this wrong?

If you're looking to continue the project smoke, you'd have the community's support if not already. its a area worth persuing.
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Smoke39 wrote:
Jonas wrote:
I don't think making stuff use new models would really be very difficult to accomplish. The real work is the creation of the new art assets, ie the HDTP itself.

Anyway, regardless of whether or not I would be requested to implement the HDTP in my mod, and regardless of whether or not I would oblige such a request at the time, I'll probably end up coming back to toying with DX again eventually. For all I know that time could coincide with the completion of the HDTP. ;b

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:well he succeeded at gaining a fanbase if that wasn't his intention.. its worth persuing further and yes I too would be pleased to see him use our models and textures. So long as he has permission to do so.. and if he wanted to i guess.
I never intended to release it, or even show it to anyone, really. When I stumbled across DXE by complete accident, I was actually kinda surprised with the positive response to my work. The mod probably would have never left my hard drive if none of that had happened.

Doesn't the fact that you'd like to see your stuff in my mod sort of imply that I would have permission? :b

Smoke- We would love to incorporate your mod! But there are a few things that would need fixing before we did so. We would also need to be selective about it because not everything in your excellent mod would be appropriate to incorporate into ours.

Do you have my email? bann@planetdeusex.com - id really love to discuss this further if you are interested.

If like you say you might go back to it at some point then that would be a brilliant development. Not just for us but for the entire community also!
Smoke39
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Re: Smokes DX mod

Post by Smoke39 »

Ajare wrote:
better F12 light
In what way better? I think it's fine as it is, and was probably made like that for a reason.
This doesn't have anything to do with anything we're talking about right now, but I just remembered something about this. One of the changes I made to the light was just uncommenting a line of code that had a comment saying something like "someday we should uncomment this." :b