Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
evil_leprechaun
Thug

Just a thought about lockpicks...

Post by evil_leprechaun »

OMG, wats wit the lockpicks??? I was just thinking that, if you have a NanoKey, which uses a pre-entered code to open doors, then wouldn't the doors just have a sensor thingy that has the code in it, instead of a tumbler lock??? I was just wondering because maybe you could fashion the lockpick a bit so that it looks a bit more high-tech lookin, so as to fit in with the NanoKey??? Just a thought, so don't whip me again, please...
"Do not go gently into that good night, Rage, rage against the dying of the light" - Dylan Thomas
Moonbo
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Moonbo »

Ah, my friend, you see the lockpick's humble exterior obviously hides high-tech innards. You'll notice that JC can open doors just by shaking the lockpick several times in their direction, not even bothering to find a keyhole. Amazing stuff :giggle: .

-Gelo/Moonbo
But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.
-Sun Myung Moon
evil_leprechaun
Thug

i see, i see, but wat if, even though hdtp has a thing about sticking to the designers original ideas and stuff, but what if you remoddeled it into a cell phone (we say mobile phone in ireland) looking kinda thing, and he sticks it up to the door, and that makes it look like it might be decifering a code of some sort, instead of a stick coming out of handle (no offence) :D
"Do not go gently into that good night, Rage, rage against the dying of the light" - Dylan Thomas
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

It does sound like fun, however, if this would come to pass and I wouldn't have just read this post by you, I would experience a 'WTF-moment' because the lockpicks are totally different.

I vote for the 'normal' lockpicks :)
Darkshade
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Darkshade »

I think the multi-tool should be a decked out cellular, and the lock-pick should be some sweet magic bling. The stealth-copter should have spinner, and JC should get some gold on those teeth. With a few rings on the fingers and danglies around the neck, those doors will fling open at the site of him.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Perhaps the nanokey had nanites that would arrange a tumbler in the proper position.

Could give the guy a lockpicking gun, those are real. GoogleImages "lockpick gun" to see those. I think another cellphone thing would be very different though, the lockpick gun is just the original one with a handle.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

The DX lockpick seems to look something like an 'electrical lockpick' I found here:
http://www.keymart.com/electric_pick.htm (the left one)
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

"A nanokey ring can read and store the two-dimensional molecular patterns from different nanokeys, and then recreate those patterns on demand."
Plus the fact that you sort of 'push' the nanokey device towards the door, kinda implies that it's more sort of 'generating a physical key-shape' for the door's keyhole than doing it all behind the scenes via electronics.

It's silly, I know, but it fits with lockpicks more consistently, I guess.
Darkshade
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Darkshade »

I found myself a new profession :D
Dragon
Silhouette

Post by Dragon »

those electric picks looks more like rape picking to me instead of clean picking :|
Leader and Head Programmer: Epsylon, Drag[en]gine Game Engine (Alt-Page) and others
Darkshade
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Darkshade »

vivid.
gross.
deleted.
evil_leprechaun
Thug

i see what you all mean, but still as DDL said, its sorta stupid pushing a metal object at a door and expecting it to open. Maybe if you just got rid of the metal yolk at the top? But if you can't, thats ok, all though it wastes all the time and not-a-lot-of-effort i put into typing this. But still, a mods gotta do what a mods gotta do... ;)
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Lockpicking guns and such are pretty cool, but you often destroy the lock in the process of opening it. Works for DX, never need to close doors again, one man army etc.

I actually liked the idea of the smart lockpick (the tool).
Darkshade
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Darkshade »

You know... couldn't you script a zero-point on the door, and have the view reset to that on use of the lockpick? I mean, on the door textures, throw a lock-like deal, and make it your zero-point, and you're set. It'll always look like it's goin after that.
ehhh?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

The short answer is no, and the long answer isn't really necessary.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine