Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
ThalesA7X
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by ThalesA7X »

metche_steele wrote:in all honesty? no - im doing some freelance work at the mo and i dont have time to poke each and every member. There are only a couple of members who are very self motivated (Lofa being one of them), the rest - well its like a constant battle to motivate them. I simply dont have the time right now and im stuggling and everything is going balls up if im quite frank.
I'll be back before the end of september i believe. Things aren't going very well on my quest for a new pc
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

youre excused given your current prediciment :)
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

I can really only talk about the characters as I don't know how DX:R are importing objects...

I've been rigging the characters like they would be rigged for UT2003, so they should quite easily import into the DX:R system, however I have only animated them like they were animated in DX so a few more animations may be needed, such as TurnLeft/Right, Aim etc, if time allows I may do those at some point.

When HDTP + TNM are finished, DX:R are more than welcome to use the characters and I would like to release the rigged characters for other modders be they for DX or DX:R. :D
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

metche_steele wrote: >>whatever comes first - however we are going to release phases 1-4 by the end of the year along with our demo map. Releasing phase by phase isnt a good idea because you guys wouldnt get the full impact of HDTP.
WOOOHOOO! :D
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

metche_steele wrote:There are only a couple of members who are very self motivated (Lofa being one of them), the rest - well its like a constant battle to motivate them. I simply dont have the time right now and im stuggling and everything is going balls up if im quite frank.
It's too bad that your job became motivator. That's not right. If anyone who can help is reading this, consider helping out please.
Akerfeldt wrote:I recently sent an email to HDTP to see if I could get a character model and skeleton so we wouldnt have to use JC for everything in the game but they turned us down :( They say they wont give out anything until TNM is done. So that means were probly going to have to animate everything from scratch or else wait for TNM.
It's why I was disappointed that there was no work between the projects, but I'd rather have the original things available in both projects. HDTP in Deus Ex, DX:R as Deus Ex, and hopefully a way to have HDTP in DX:R, rather than just HDTP DX:R.
metche_steele wrote:The only thing I've said is they can't have anything pre-release...On release they are free to use what they like so long as it is credited appropriately.
So, zero work between the projects. But that's ok, of course. Thinking back on it, I'm not really sure what I thought could be shared without making DX:R unlike the original. I probably just thought the stregnth of either project was in graphics or coding.
metche_steele wrote:...we are going to release phases 1-4 by the end of the year along with our demo map. Releasing phase by phase isn't a good idea because you guys wouldn't get the full impact of HDTP.
The new release estimate sounds good. I've seen the new news posting today though, "fear for the worst" etc (I'm quoting "Times are a hard", "08 Aug 2006 by Metche"), so depending on how things are going, losing the full impact at first isn't too bad. Maybe a small demo of HDTP in video, or releasing a single phase would be an advertisment for HDTP. It would certainly hit the digg front page for example, and the call for developers would get a lot more exposure. Thats an old idea though, for when the emergency power runs low. A couple new screenshots to moddb alone would autonotify 91 people registered there and everyone in RSS. If the project actually stops at some point, I hope that whatever is finished is released. HDTP is important enough to a lot of people though, so it shouldn't come to that.

DX:R is having difficulty as well. The main developer had difficulty with the GUI code. IIRC that part is done now, but he's a bit burnt out from it..
Last edited by justanotherfan on Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rick-sama
Thug

Post by Rick-sama »

It's a sad situation.
I guess I'll check back in December, or perhaps March.
ZylonBane
UNATCO

Post by ZylonBane »

Some of you guys are overreacting. As long as mods like this have at least one dedicated person to keep the proverbial light on, they never die. They just move in waves as contributors come and go.

And yes, I'm speaking from personal experience here. SHTUP was idle for almost a year, but now we've got a couple of Shock-loving modelers/texturers on board, and things are cooking again.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

All of this stuff would be so much easier if I didn't have a job...

Anyway: to reiterate (er, and paraphrase), there is an absolute fuckton of FINISHED material already, and it looks gorgeous.

No matter what happens with the 'still to do' stuff, anything filed as 'completed' _will_ get incorporated into DX.

So worry ye not. If you take the approach that ANY enhancement is a bonus (which it is), then you can't really lose.

And if I'm being honest, I'd promote this entire project as just fucking downright amazing even if the only new model was Gunther.

Yes, he is that good. Screenshots do not do him justice.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

DDL wrote:All of this stuff would be so much easier if I didn't have a job...
That makes, like, 30 of us.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

whoa whoa whoa - obviously ive just caused some controversy :)

Id like to say we havent got just 1 person on the whole team - we still have 5 people - which is good obviously :)

I am certainly not bailing out on this project. Too many man hours have been spent on it and this captain doesnt leave her ship.

Weve had rough patches like this before and weve come through fighting ive no doubt about it - but i HAD to post an emotive news item - to drum up interest - or else everyone will just sit back again and we cant afford to do that.

Im going to have my annual 'cull' of deadwood from the team and start building it up again. It will help things become more efficient :)

Thanks guys for all your love and support as always :D

M.
Ajare
MJ12

Post by Ajare »

metche_steele wrote: Im going to have my annual 'cull' of deadwood from the team and start building it up again.
That sounds suitably brutal. Can it be turned into a reality TV format?
ThalesA7X
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by ThalesA7X »

Hmm, which one?

"You are the weakest link, goodbye!"
"You've been voted off the island"
or
"You hit someone and our producer says you can't stay on the show"
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

LOL thats cool :D

maybe just name the show something snappy like 'DEADWOOD'.
Ajare
MJ12

Post by Ajare »

I was thinking more along the lines of locking current HDTP members up in some Dickensian sweathouse, and forcing them to churn out assets all day. Someone gets thrown to the crocodiles at the end of each week.

But then I learnt that EA already do it that way. :rimshot:

PS Jonas/Trestkon please change my group ID before this fate befalls me. edit: thank you 8)
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

that could work LOL :lol: