ThalesA7X
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Crit

Post by ThalesA7X »

Need crit.
http://www.wkdesigns.net/maya/HKCouch.jpg
http://www.wkdesigns.net/maya/HKCouch_Original.jpg

Rough..no real details but tell me what you great people think.
Hopefully I will be able to add the cushions to the bottom without going too extreme with polygons. Currently that is at 732. If needed I can cut the faces that aren't visible.
Last edited by ThalesA7X on Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

It looks very undetailed. Not bad, the surface just looks 'too' smooth.

But maybe that's what was in the original model as well, could you post a reference pic?
ThalesA7X
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by ThalesA7X »

EER wrote:It looks very undetailed. Not bad, the surface just looks 'too' smooth.

But maybe that's what was in the original model as well, could you post a reference pic?
edited original post.

and of course it is undetailed =P that was quick and painless. I just want to know what everyone thinks of it before I get far along.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Ah, it's THAT bench :P

I think it is already an improvement to the original as it is now, however, move details on the sitting surface wouldn't hurt.

Also there is one inconsistency:
The original is sort of 'open' about half the width of the bench in front.
Yours is 'open' on the full width of the bench.

If you don't know what I mean, I'll illustrate it with my paint skills later :P
ThalesA7X
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by ThalesA7X »

EER wrote:Ah, it's THAT bench :P

I think it is already an improvement to the original as it is now, however, move details on the sitting surface wouldn't hurt.

Also there is one inconsistency:
The original is sort of 'open' about half the width of the bench in front.
Yours is 'open' on the full width of the bench.

If you don't know what I mean, I'll illustrate it with my paint skills later :P
Haha I know what you are talking about. I did that for a reason.
Reason: I was going to finish the rest of the model with details and such. Then if I had some flexibility where polygons are concerned I was going to make a railing type object across the parts of the front that need to be covered.

If you have anything in particular you want me to add more detail say so here. Metche already said to add more detail to the cushions . (I knew that was needed but I don't know what type of detail we can get from texture on something like this.)
Last edited by ThalesA7X on Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big-P
Thug

Post by Big-P »

i.e. The front edge of the Coutch has no little 'railing' extending to the center of middle of the bench.
We are now the Knights Who Say 'Ecky- ecky- ecky- ecky- pikang- zoop- boing- goodem- zoo-owli- zhiv'
Ajare
MJ12

Post by Ajare »

It's quite different to the original.
ThalesA7X
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by ThalesA7X »

Ajare wrote:It's quite different to the original.
Sure is. The original is a stretched cube with planes attaches to it..XD
Rick-sama
Thug

Post by Rick-sama »

I think you should just update the textures on the original model.
I don't think there is much to add to the original model, polygon wise.
Some models in HDTP could just use the original model, but retexture it.
Deus Ex always played a little sluggish, but with this new stuff, it could fall to a crawl.
ThalesA7X
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by ThalesA7X »

Rick-sama wrote:I think you should just update the textures on the original model.
I don't think there is much to add to the original model, polygon wise.
Some models in HDTP could just use the original model, but retexture it.
Deus Ex always played a little sluggish, but with this new stuff, it could fall to a crawl.
I must say it is sad if you run sluggish with the computers of today. :P but of course, not everyone has basic new age computers with at least 512mb of RAM and the like.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

ThalesA7X wrote:If you have anything in particular you want me to add more detail say so here. Metche already said to add more detail to the cushions . (I knew that was needed but I don't know what type of detail we can get from texture on something like this.)
I think metche is right about the cushions.

I'm not really sure what you mean to do with the railing though.

The main difference to the original is that it doesn't have cushions on the railing but an 'semi-invisible' texture (however I could live with that). I think it may depend a lot on the texture how this couch will turn out...
ThalesA7X
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by ThalesA7X »

EER wrote: The main difference to the original is that it doesn't have cushions on the railing but an 'semi-invisible' texture (however I could live with that). I think it may depend a lot on the texture how this couch will turn out...
Yea the cushions will have a bit more detail.
The problem is that I am already over the recommended polygon count so I will need to clean up a bit and delete faces that you can't see. Shouldn't be too bad after I do that and I will have much more room to work with.

Also, I might just do the texturing as well so it is done.
Ajare
MJ12

Post by Ajare »

The railing is one of these annoying situations where either we a) use the original method (transparent plane), b) use a ridiculous number of polies to model the railing, or c) change the design. And we should never change the design unless we can really help it. Don't forget the texture will be higher res, which will make it seem more accurate. I would definately go with option a).
ThalesA7X
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by ThalesA7X »

Ajare wrote:The railing is one of these annoying situations where either we a) use the original method (transparent plane), b) use a ridiculous number of polies to model the railing, or c) change the design. And we should never change the design unless we can really help it. Don't forget the texture will be higher res, which will make it seem more accurate. I would definately go with option a).
No problem. I am just so used to making high poly things and it is slightly awkward to have a limit really. Not a big deal, just let me edit it up a bit and I will keep it the way it was.

No need to show a screen because it will just be flat planes instead of the cushions and walls behind them.

Although of course, if it is going to rely heavily on the texture then it might be fine to use the original model. But of course, having actual 3d couch legs is great. I really hate seeing those transparent planes in game because I know it could be so much better.

Thanks,
Josh
XIRQ
Thug

Post by XIRQ »

The seating edge seems sharp, i.e. cushion effect is missing. Other then that it looks better then original; it actually looks like bench.

I wouldn?t worry about imitating the original model. I think you biggest concern is to maintain the asian style. If I remember it correctly it comes from Hong Kong map, although I could be wrong. :-k
?Excuse my English, I am just an ignorant European?