Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Dead-eye
X-51

HDTP has HDR right?

Post by Dead-eye »

Is the HDTP come with high dinamac lighting (HDR)? that would look realy good in DX:R.
Ajare
MJ12

Re: HDTP has HDR right?

Post by Ajare »

No, it doesn't.

edit: People's usage of the term 'HDR' really bugs me. 99% of the time it is used incorrectly, both by game designers and others. High Dynamic Range refers to that fact that the graphics pipeline uses a higher precision than the normal 24/32 bits. When pixels gets sent through a graphics pipeline, there are usually tonnes of calculations done on them before they reach their final destination (the framebuffer) - ie all the shaders, lighting etc, which changes their initial value. Now, because of the relatively low value range - each channel only goes from 0 to 255 - there will be rounding errors, especially at the extremes (ie white and black). If you use a much higher range, say 0 to 16777215, then these errors disappear, and although the final value is converted back to between 0 to 255, it's a much more accurate representation. This is why HDRI tends to make bright things look better than it does midrange things. Bloom has been around for ages, we've all played IW. The 'HDR' that Oblivion and co uses is closer to bloom than true HDRI. At the moment, true HDRI is just too expensive to use in a game, hence all these hacks to get something that visually approximates.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Also: HDTP and DX:R use two different engines, so even if they did somehow manage to implement (pseudo-)HDR in HDTP, they'd have to re-implement it in DX:R.

But they can't even mess with that kind of stuff, they'd need the source code for the UT engine, which is not gonna happen as long as Epic keeps building their new Unreal incarnations on their old tech.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
un1d3n
Thug

Post by un1d3n »

dx:r is the ps2 version right?

anyway... keep up the good work on hdtp
ThalesA7X
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by ThalesA7X »

No, DX:R is a project where I believe they are converting it to a more recent version of the unreal engine. I believe unreal2 but not too sure.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yep, DX:R is sort of converting Unreal 2k4 into Deus Ex. It's a different project than HDTP, with different teams.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

But If you put HDTP and DX:R together you have the best...( well I can't say or it might go tarrably rong.) DX:R is Deus Ex for UT2004 and hopefaly UT2007 some day. It dose not change much But 256X256 can become 512X512... I think. And It looks a lot better. There also going to change the A.I. It also adds all the UT2004 things like Kram, And more... things...

It should be out next month... right. Well you know how mods go. There going to make it HDTP compatable, so if you don't have a copy of UT2004 I would get one... ammm I did didint I. (got UT2004 just for DX:R) And... site there. Unless you have spare time, then I would go work on a mod someones making to keep Deus Ex alive, and on FIRE!!!! Yeah!!! WOW I"M SLEEPY!!! I SHOULD...never mind.
Billy Bob Joe
Thug

Post by Billy Bob Joe »

I couldn't imagine the horrors of trying to hack any semblence of HDR into the DX engine.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

You could mimic bloom by just sticking a fuckton of unnecessary coronas EVERYWHERE...

:D
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I don't think DX:R will use HDR purely because its too hard to implement.
if you truely want to see DX with HDR best wait for UT2k7 and a revision of DX:R for that engine. (cause i'm expecting it'll work with HDR as standard anyway)

Best you can hope for would be bloom or somekind of dynamic lighting that is more advanced to what Deus Ex uses. But they did get shadowing to work brilliantly from what all the screenshots boast.

We aren't touching the engine because its a PAIN IN THE ARSE to work with. DX:R gives the engine a well needed upgrade. (thanks to the guys @ DX:R for their work btw)

They've already discussed HDR and it wasn't looking feasible last time i checked.
ZylonBane
UNATCO

Re: HDTP has HDR right?

Post by ZylonBane »

Ajare wrote:edit: People's usage of the term 'HDR' really bugs me. 99% of the time it is used incorrectly, both by game designers and others. High Dynamic Range refers to that fact that the graphics pipeline uses a higher precision than the normal 24/32 bits.
And Ajare joins the 99%...

High Dynamic Range is, as these things go, a remarkably self-descriptive term. It literally means an expanded dynamic range. In traditional rendering engines, 255 is as bright as anything can be. Anything brighter than that gets capped. HDR engines allow the encoding of brightnesses beyond 255. Aside from providing for cool overbrightening effects, this extended internal range allows special effects like reflections to derive their appearance from actual uncapped values, yielding a more realistic appearance.

This page goes into more detail:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynam ... _rendering
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.
Akerfeldt
UNATCO

Post by Akerfeldt »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:They've already discussed HDR and it wasn't looking feasible last time i checked.
Indeed, being limited to UScript there's little room to make any actual _improvements_ to the current graphics system. Especially something as technical as HDR. However, UT2004 does come with a lot of nifty functions and classes that we can use to make some pretty groovy effects (shadows, bloom, motion blur etc.) even if they do look somewhat simulated (just use ur imagination heh). In any case it will sure look groovier than the original DX. 8)
un1d3n
Thug

Post by un1d3n »

ThalesA7X wrote:No, DX:R is a project where I believe they are converting it to a more recent version of the unreal engine. I believe unreal2 but not too sure.
o yah...

now... would anyone dare convert to the unreal3 engine?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Probably not before they actually release a game using that engine.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Darkshade
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Darkshade »

Dude you'ld have to reprogram the entire lighting and rendering system to three pass. By that time, you might as well have just created a new engine.
"Metaphore" is a bloody metaphore.