Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Visible Weapon Mods

Post by Jonas »

I'm really positioning my ass in a convenient altitude for kicking with this topic, but I have to bring it up again. I know we've discussed it before, but my memory must have more holes than Swiss cheese, because I can't remember how the discussion ended. So here we go again.

HDTP is not about adding stuff to DX. It's about recreating the old stuff with more detail. The position of the dividing line is widely debated on these forums, I know, but personally I think making weapon mods visible would fall under the category of added detail rather than actual large changes.

Also, it would kick ass.

For those of you who are not modding savvy, here's the only way I know to do it, there may be a better and easier way that I haven't thought of:
  • Add a silencer and a scope to the model of every weapon that is supposed to have an option for those mods.
  • Make sure the silencer and the scope use seperate textures from the rest of the weapon when you UV map it.
  • Code up the weapon so it starts with the silencer and the scope being invisible.
  • Code up the weapon so when you add a silencer mod, the weapon will switch to using the silencer texture for the silencer instead of a transparent texture.
  • Do likewise for the scope.
What I want to know is: What's the status on this? Is it too much work? It is too radical a change to Deus Ex? What do you guys think? And don't worry: I will take no for an answer :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Dominic_Denton
UNATCO

Post by Dominic_Denton »

Well Jonas, it seems like the character changes are hard to get used to from just seeing them in pictures and movies (I loved that Gunther one), but people can just download it and eventually just get the hang of it, it will be a great experience to see DX like that. In my opinion, as long as these guys keep doing it the way they are, it'll turn out to be perfect.
JC12
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by JC12 »

Well Jonas, I can say that you're practically spot on.

From the last word we had, if we do go through with the visible mods (Which we do so I hope), then we'll be using masks to hide the modifications until they're enabled in game.

I don't think it's hard. But don't ask me! I only have experience with the modelling parts, not the coding parts. 8-[

-JC12
warman
UNATCO

Post by warman »

It sounds Bow-Chicka-Bow-Bow worthy. :oops:
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Well my vote would be to do it.
Darkshade
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Darkshade »

I would also vote to do it.

As for the weapons mods themselves, I've got those on the way. 8)
"Metaphore" is a bloody metaphore.
evil_leprechaun
Thug

Post by evil_leprechaun »

im sure they'll pwn :D
"Do not go gently into that good night, Rage, rage against the dying of the light" - Dylan Thomas
kynt
Thug

Post by kynt »

I think that visible weapon mods is an awesome idea. Shouldn't be too hard, since the weapons themselves are being re-done (they are aren't they?) My vote is definitely yes.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Coding'd be a piece of piss, to be honest.

So, yeah: as long as folks're prepared to do the modelling, the code can happily follow.
sean10mm
Mole Person

Post by sean10mm »

Don't forget the laser sight. ;)

Great idea. Very much in the spirit of graphical improvement (good) vs. gameplay change (bad, or at least HDTP Shifter's job :P ).
WildcatPhoenix
UNATCO

Post by WildcatPhoenix »

I recommend the visible modifications. It looks great, and I don't think it detracts from the game (quite the opposite, actually). You might want to talk to cataclyzm, MIB's weapon modeller (we're incorporating the visible weapon mods as we speak).

Here's an example of what they look like:

http://mods.moddb.com/gallery/image/46656/

-Wildcat
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Coding it really, all you need is some flags that turn on and off that turn on and off the masks on the model, and just put them into the code where the corrisponding mod is added to that weapon. Its probably harder than that though given i don't know UT, but in programing C thats how i'd do it. (A basic switch ;))

I'd like to know if we could change the Mod plugins that you pickup in the game to look like the actual object (like the Scope looking like the Scope rather than a package with a Blue and White logo :( ) While we're making the mods we might as well re-use the models as pickups :)
Is that too drastic?
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

:-k
I think I would prefer the package with blue/white logo, if only because I'm used to upgrades looking like that.

It would be like replacing the flower in Mario with a white suit that's on fire.

I may change my mind if it looks awesome though ;)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I'd probably prefer keeping the box, because it helps the player identify the mod as a "power-up" if all the mods look the same. And remember that only the laser sight, the scope, and the silencer will be visible in-game. All the other weapon mods (I believe there are 5 others) would have to still be a box. So I think it's probably better to stick to the original on that count.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
lofaesofa
UNATCO

Post by lofaesofa »

The mod boxes should be kept.

I think it would be hard to spot some of the mods if you changed them to what they are. Some are hidden in very dark corners, so if they were not a bit bright and animated they'd be a bugger to see. Also, if you had mods for the smaller weapons then they'd be a bit small. That and Jonas' point.