Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

JC12 wrote:What I meant by dirt was rust etc. btw.
oh ok sorry. Great minds think alike then? :D

Yeah man, don't worry about that, everyone would love more nice little details like that. ;)
JC12
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by JC12 »

ZeroPresence wrote:
JC12 wrote:What I meant by dirt was rust etc. btw.
oh ok sorry. Great minds think alike then? :D
Aye, but my fault for not making it clear. :)

On an added note, I think the handle does need a little bit of work.
beejamin
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by beejamin »

OK - here's one with heaps of filth! Of course, theres a halfway point between these two. Thoughts?

(Click for high-res too, if you're keen)

EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Still looking very good, I'm not really digging the Graffiti I think, but otherwise, great piece of work :)

(never thought I'd say that about a mailbox ;))
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

Great update! I like everything about the second version of this texture, especially the grafitti. It seems in-place in a locale like dystopian-future New York. :P
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

It's a great texture, but I have to put myself on the non-graffiti side. It may look a little weird if every mailbox in NYC has the same graffiti on it. Aside from that, perfect :D
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

I agree with Jonas - looked better without the graphiti :)
Dominic_Denton
UNATCO

Post by Dominic_Denton »

PV wrote:Indeed looks allot better, think it's too clean tough.
Try adding another layer of dirt throughout.
Doesn't need to be uber rusty or anything, just show that it's been used.
I agree with PV, although, the lettering is chipped away in multiple places. I don't know why, but the original DX graphics made everything look really....solid. And, for the first time, the HDTP seems to take that solidity from it, in the mailbox. I think it's the shade of blue used in the new model.

As for the second one, the signature graffiti doesn't do anything for me. Without that, the dirt and the sticker work perfectly (I think the sticker should be up above the U in US MAIL). So, everything but graffiti.
I've left the board.
Ajare
MJ12

Post by Ajare »

The original DX textures are in general quite shiny, with sharp highlights and a lot of contrast. Whether it was to make the most of the low resolution, or a deliberate aesthetic decision, this is what makes the objects look more solid. The HDTP seems to be uniformly toning down this shininess. I'll admit I have been guilty of this myself. As such, the new mailbox is consistent with HDTP if not DX.

Updating textures at a higher resolution often requires a very different technique to that originally used, and with the extra detail you often can't get away with things you can when the resolution is lower. The 'faucet' model is a case in point: the original is pretty much a mess of noise with some bold highlights and it works well enough, but at a higher resolution this method just looks bad. I found myself constantly having to tone the highlights down to get it looking acceptable.

Anyway, HDTP's artistic direction is not up to me, however I did have a quick go at adding a little extra shine to your texture - hope you don't mind. I also think a tiny bit more colour variation, and bump variation will help it reach perfection. Anyway, here's the slightly more shiny texture:

http://www.tetracorp.net/images/hdtp/Ma ... 4shiny.jpg

Finally, love the dirt but ditch the graffiti.
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Ajare wrote:The original DX textures are in general quite shiny, with sharp highlights and a lot of contrast. Whether it was to make the most of the low resolution, or a deliberate aesthetic decision, this is what makes the objects look more solid. The HDTP seems to be uniformly toning down this shininess. I'll admit I have been guilty of this myself. As such, the new mailbox is consistent with HDTP if not DX.

Updating textures at a higher resolution often requires a very different technique to that originally used, and with the extra detail you often can't get away with things you can when the resolution is lower. The 'faucet' model is a case in point: the original is pretty much a mess of noise with some bold highlights and it works well enough, but at a higher resolution this method just looks bad. I found myself constantly having to tone the highlights down to get it looking acceptable.

Anyway, HDTP's artistic direction is not up to me, however I did have a quick go at adding a little extra shine to your texture - hope you don't mind. I also think a tiny bit more colour variation, and bump variation will help it reach perfection. Anyway, here's the slightly more shiny texture:

http://www.tetracorp.net/images/hdtp/Ma ... 4shiny.jpg

Finally, love the dirt but ditch the graffiti.
wow nice shine :D I really like that!

In terms of 'artistic direction' - ive said it once ive said it a million times. Everything we do will go through a thorough quality control check before it gets released. Theres bound to be stuff that needs amending or adding too or whatnot and all these issues will get addressed during that quality control check.
Ajare
MJ12

Post by Ajare »

Metch I know, I was just explaining why the comment 'make it shinier' crops up so much, and why it's not always possible. Just rambling as usual.
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

I did try to reply to this earlier but the forums screwed up... Anyway. That's looking very good beejamin. :D The handle looks fine too imo, I even like the grafitti but as Jonas says it probably won't work when there are two or more mail boxes in the map.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Ajare wrote:Metch I know, I was just explaining why the comment 'make it shinier' crops up so much, and why it's not always possible. Just rambling as usual.
Thats ok my darling - your 'rambles' are often very helpful :)
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

The shine is interesting, very camera-obscura on the bolts. If this can't be done with lighting, then by all means do it in the texture. It looks better.

Thanks for fixing the lettering. It was the U and the L that were most noticable, and with them fixed it looks different.

The graf is fine, but when its done in black, its very noticable. People go around town and "tag" the same objects with their own personal tag, so it being on multiple mailboxes is believable. People will notice the tag done in black repeating though, since the contrast makes it more noticable than the US Mail label. If it were smaller and faded, I think it would be ok, but most other people seem to want it gone.
ZylonBane
UNATCO

Post by ZylonBane »

justanotherfan wrote:The shine is interesting, very camera-obscura on the bolts.
Ummm... what? A camera obscura is a device used for drawing by projecting a scene through a pinhole. How can any image be "very" that?
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.