Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
beejamin
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Mailbox

Post by beejamin »

Greetings all!

This is my first attempt at texturing - the blue US mailbox found around hell's kitchen (I think). Lofa's fine new model and a slightly abused new skin. Click either for a depressing 1024 version... :cry:

Pleased to hear what you think!

Beej

Before and after:
http://www.caramel.com.au/downloads/mai ... ighRes.jpg
http://www.caramel.com.au/downloads/mai ... AndNew.jpg

New texture:
http://www.caramel.com.au/downloads/Mai ... proto1.jpg
http://www.caramel.com.au/downloads/Mai ... proto2.jpg
Last edited by OiNutter on Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Turned img tags into url tags to avoid authz prompting from the remote server.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Looks a lot better than the original :D

Just wondering, what is the rectangle near the top of the model? An opening for letters? It seems to me it's the only thing that's notably 'different' from the original model (not counting the resolution ;) ).
beejamin
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by beejamin »

I reckon it's a handle to pull the door open.

Yeah - you're right, it's slightly different. The inside of the original handle has a highlight, but it just doesn't look like it should be there to me. The hollow would be in shadow in nearly all cases. Change it, or leave it you think?

Thanks mate!
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Maybe make it a little darker, that should probably do the trick. However, I think other feedback is about to flow in, so maybe wait for that as well :)
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

well on theirs the handle looks like its an indent in the door, but yours looks like its a thin piece of metal on a hinge that folds down when you grab it so you can open the door easier. Know what I mean?
PV
Thug

Post by PV »

Indeed looks allot better, think it's too clean tough.
Try adding another layer of dirt throughout.
Doesn't need to be uber rusty or anything, just show that it's been used.
XIRQ
Thug

Post by XIRQ »

Nice.
US Mail would be proud of you. :smile:
?Excuse my English, I am just an ignorant European?
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

The original doesn't seem dirty, but this one does. Not saying the dirt should be removed, but more might not help.

The handle would have to be done in the model to get it to look right. It probably isn't that important.

The US Mail tag has some interesting scrapes on it, but they appear identical on the sides, as if some very subtle and exacting vandal shaved parts of the logo off.

Otherwise, it looks like a pretty real mailbox.
beejamin
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by beejamin »

Thanks guys...

good eyes, just another fan. I have indeed cheated and dupes the lettering. As your just reward for such vigilance, I will produce individually scraped and vandalised letters for the front and side! There'll always be two duplicates, because there are only two panels in the texture, but you won't be able to see the front and back at the same time anyway.

Stay tuned!
ZylonBane
UNATCO

Post by ZylonBane »

Could use more contrast. The original model's highlights match the harsh lighting model of DX.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.
Dominic_Denton
UNATCO

Post by Dominic_Denton »

I didn't really pay much attention to the mailbox's in DX, but that is a great improvement, LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE HDTP, IT ALL OWNS.
I've left the board.
JC12
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by JC12 »

I agree with ZB about the contrast. Needs some work. Also the comment about the text on it.
Could also do with a little more drt, but not much.

Looks good, keep it up! :D
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

I'm not discrediting your thoughts guys, but arent most mailboxes in Hell's Kitchen? A map almost completely absent of dirt? I'd think that maybe some weathering for a city would be rust, scratches, and maybe dents. Would dents be hard to present on a flat surface through the texture?
beejamin
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by beejamin »

I had thought of adding dents, but then you have the situation where every mailbox has exactly the same pattern of dents on it.

The new version is already much dirtier than the original - is adding more/denting just adding 'made up' detail? If I was creating a new texture from scratch, I'd be adding half peeled off stickers, graffiti, old bits of tape - all the grime that a mailbox would accumulate in an urban environment.

(I'm new here - I've been going on the principle of 'just recreate in high-res', rather than adding new details. Is that the way to do it?)

Thanks for all the feedback!
JC12
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by JC12 »

What I meant by dirt was rust etc. btw

And I don't think there's anything wrong with adding more detail. In fact I think it makes the texture a whole lot more believeable.