Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Doggieb
Mole Person

Re: Join Up & Serve Your Community!

Post by Doggieb »

Hey hello, anybody out there? I can't wait forever for a reaction. #-o
If the Bible was true, God modeled the world in six days. The seventh day he went couch patato and took a beer
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Shit, sorry.

Just too fucking hard to keep track of everything at the moment. So much to do, so little brain! :(

Pigeon looks lovely, btw. I know you said you're not a texture person, but can you UVmap?

Also, although I suspect it's largely irrelevant if you can't export to .3ds, can you animate stuff? Could you, for example, make a separate version of that pigeon mesh for each corresponding frame of the original pigeon? (since I could then stitch them together into a DX-compatible animated mesh)

Also (again with the questions! Sorry), how many polys is it? Given that there can be quite a few pigeons on screen at once sometimes, it's probably not wise to get the polycount tooo high.. :)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

DDL wrote:Given that there can be quite a few pigeons on screen at once sometimes, it's probably not wise to get the polycount tooo high.. :)
WRONG! My new video card demands more pigeon polygons!
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Doggieb
Mole Person

Post by Doggieb »

DDL wrote:Shit, sorry.

Just too fucking hard to keep track of everything at the moment. So much to do, so little brain! :(

Pigeon looks lovely, btw. I know you said you're not a texture person, but can you UVmap?

Also, although I suspect it's largely irrelevant if you can't export to .3ds, can you animate stuff? Could you, for example, make a separate version of that pigeon mesh for each corresponding frame of the original pigeon? (since I could then stitch them together into a DX-compatible animated mesh)

Also (again with the questions! Sorry), how many polys is it? Given that there can be quite a few pigeons on screen at once sometimes, it's probably not wise to get the polycount tooo high.. :)
I'm experienced in a lot of things: modeling, animating, building texturing (rather not do it, but I have the skills) and bake basic textures. I can unwrap complex models like humans, so I think pigeons will work too.
Of course I can the animations for the pigeons, you just have to post a list of the animations you need and the numbers of frames they should be. I created some more animating cycles before.
Here're some vids in which you can see some earlier created game animations from my hand:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRFdCA5k9kI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeOXFLrV ... re=channel

I made them for my current game project.

I know like not other how important it is to keep the poly count low (slow computer), so the pigeon has less than 1000 poly's, but I can make the poly count a lot lower. I can even decrease it to less than 50 polys, but then it will almost look like the original eidos' pigeot. I can also create a very-high poly mesh for normal maps, although I think the engine doesn't support them.

So, I'm in? :-^
If the Bible was true, God modeled the world in six days. The seventh day he went couch patato and took a beer
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Hi there :)

Sorry it's taken so long to reply.

Basically we need texture artists and uvmappers. The modellers are easy to come by - everyone loves to model it seems but they tend to not be able to uvmap or texture. And it's the latter skill set we are in real need of :)
DDL

Post by DDL »

BUT!

I don't think (Metche?) we have anyone doing pigeons or seagulls at the moment, so assuming I'm right, that'd be super.

What I'd recommend (and this may seem strange, but hey) is that you try and UVmap the mesh to the original (low def, fairly horrible) pigeon texture: that way we can use the mesh assets even if we don't find a willing texture artist in time (or at least, one we haven't already captured and enslaved) to do a new texture.

I'll let you know what frames we need when I get home (and remember). PM me if I'm slow/incompetent. Actually, maybe hold off until metche confirms we need pigeons etc, since I can't check atm. :(
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

DDL wrote:BUT!

I don't think (Metche?) we have anyone doing pigeons or seagulls at the moment, so assuming I'm right, that'd be super.

What I'd recommend (and this may seem strange, but hey) is that you try and UVmap the mesh to the original (low def, fairly horrible) pigeon texture: that way we can use the mesh assets even if we don't find a willing texture artist in time (or at least, one we haven't already captured and enslaved) to do a new texture.

I'll let you know what frames we need when I get home (and remember). PM me if I'm slow/incompetent. Actually, maybe hold off until metche confirms we need pigeons etc, since I can't check atm. :(
Yep pigeon has not been modelled - if the guy could uvmap it then please fire away :)
Hashi
Silhouette

Post by Hashi »

the question is: has he done it?!
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Generic Bump I see you done have.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Hashi
Silhouette

Post by Hashi »

Xesum wrote:Generic Bump I see you done have.
You are kind to say such words, friend. I believe only good things can flow from this moment onwards.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hashi. That was a three year necropost, and it contributed absolutely nothing.

Stop it. Seriously.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
ikaros
Mole Person

Post by ikaros »

haha necro of a sticky, good one jonas ;)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Uh thanks, random first-time poster :-s
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
ikaros
Mole Person

Post by ikaros »

been guest-lurking for 4 years now, but i had to rush to hashis defence on that one :D
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Well I must congratulate you on a meaningful and impressive debut.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine