The final 30 days

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

JC wrote:For the tester level will all textures be better quality? I'm guessing that this project must have at least one texture done for each part of the mod so this should be possible. Just that I imagine it will look quite strange with differing texture quality.

Couldn't you have released 28 days from now without even telling us? Waiting is agony. :)
1. This is what testing is for.
2. Each new model has a new texture - it would be rediculous otherwise :)
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

JC wrote:For the tester level will all textures be better quality?
And just to clarify (you never know) when we say 'textures' we mean 'model textures'. NO level geometry retexturing is included, so your dustbins up against a wall with a 128x128 pixel brick texture will become quite sickeningly gorgeous looking dustbins up against a wall with a 128x128 pixel brick texture.

Also remember, that when we say 'textures' we mean 'model textures and the models themselves'. Almost all of the models have been improved. And they are really, really good. It's actually surprising how much difference it makes to the 'feel' when you compare throwing around the original DX basketball, with throwing around one which is actually almost spherical. It feels more like a basketball.
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

Darkshade wrote:
Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:lets fuck with people and set the counter to -1
We absolutly MUST do this! Rofl Cyber you teh man. Oh varg. We're doing it. Roger? Roger.
Haha, start counting UP, make people think they've already missed the release :P
ZylonBane
UNATCO

Post by ZylonBane »

What is this "tester level" you keep referring to?
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

ZylonBane wrote:
What is this "tester level" you keep referring to?
I presume it's the Demo map the HDTP people use to 'test' their new objects+textures in, which will also be released with the upcoming release :)
Kyjibo
Thug

Post by Kyjibo »

So will the new textures be integrated into regular single player or will they only be in the demo map? Could someone clarify this, im so confused!
I beat the Internet
the end guy is hard
Darkshade
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Darkshade »

I do believe this release will integrate them into teh game it's self. :)
"Metaphore" is a bloody metaphore.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Yeah thats what i thought "Demo" meant.
JC
NSF

Post by JC »

I understand that this release only updates the model textures but I would have though perhaps the 'demo map' would also have improved textures. I'm not complaining, I'm just interested.

26 days ;_;
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

JC wrote:I understand that this release only updates the model textures but I would have though perhaps the 'demo map' would also have improved textures. I'm not complaining, I'm just interested.

26 days ;_;
ok -

we will be releasing the following:

1. A SP .exe that once clicked wil launch original DX but with the new models and textures and ONE character as a bonus.

2. A demo map that showcases all of the new models and textures from the first 4 phases, all in 1 location.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

perhaps the 'demo map' would also have improved textures.
Last version I saw the Demo map didn't have any Level Textures improved.

Its not within the scope of the project. It'd be interesting to do it for the final HDTP build (not the upcoming one) though.
ZylonBane
UNATCO

Post by ZylonBane »

It's unfortunate that so many people keep squawking to have the level textures redone, apparently without realizing the insane degree of time, effort, and talent that it would require to do properly.

The thing is, level textures just aren't as important as object textures. They're part of the background-- they're what the player sees rushing past in their peripheral vision as they run from place to place. But object textures... those are the ones that get right in the player's face. You pick up and examine and use objects, so upgrading an object texture will yield a much greater perception of improved quality than upgrading a wall texture. There is, to put it simply, more bang-for-the-buck in upgrading objects.

Speaking of which, are doors in DX objects or terrain?
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.
DDL

Post by DDL »

Terrain, I'm afraid.

Though now you mention it, they'd probably be a good thing to prioritize if ever we get around to level textures.

And you are spot-on about objects vs terrain.

Amusingly, the models now look so good my brain keeps assuming they'll magically acquire havok physics.. :roll:
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Thats completely right Zylon - i agree 100%. There are thousands of level textures - no one can replicate that - I know im certainly not - its enough sorting this out alone lol.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Amusingly, the models now look so good my brain keeps assuming they'll magically acquire havok physics.
Thats because they will once DX:reborn implements the physics engine into their Alpha. :D