Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

HDTP - Release 1: Troubleshooting FAQ

Post by Trestkon »

I've discovered what I imagine is the cause of many of the errors people are encountering with the installer.

Basically, it's deleting a line from HDTP that may be required for some installations. If you're having problems, please try the following (in this order. Obviously, only try the next step if it still doesn't work8)):

1)
Ensure that you have the newest patch, ie: 1112.

-----------------------------------------------------------

2)
-Open HDTP.ini (In your DeusEx\System directory)
-Find this line: CachePath=..\Cache
-Directly below it, paste in this line: CacheExt=.uxx
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

I know this should not effect the HDTP, but I was using it to play Deus Ex again 9As it made game look better) and when I got to the "Save Tiffany Savage" and rescued her and was about to click on helicopter tyo go to Ocean Labs, the game closed. It keeps happening. Is it the HDTP files or what?
Lenluin
Mole Person

HDTP not even running?

Post by Lenluin »

So, I just read about your mod in Game Informer, which made me reinstall Deus Ex because I loved the storyline so much, and thought how excellent it would be to see it with updated graphics. So, I installed Deus Ex, Installed HDTP, only to see no new textures what-so-ever.

1) Yes I made sure I updated to 1112
2) I did indeed add CacheExt=.uxx
3) I am running it from the HDTP link that was created.
4) Typing "00_HDTP_Demo" only rewards me with saying "Unrecognized command"

Thoughts?
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

Did you actually type "open 00_HDTP_Demo"? The "open" is important and of course you'll have to delete "say" before typing it.

Hint: They consider releasing more than just the demo in the near future. (Maybe after some very important decisions concerning pneumatics and hydraulics have been made... *coughs*) I suggest you to wait a little longer before playing DX again.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Also note that it can be hard to tell the difference unless you have an actual side-by-side comparison of old and new stuff, simply because the HDTP models and textures look so much like the old versions (just, you know... way nicer). The best way to tell is to look at the crates in the beginning of Liberty Island: If they're just plain boxes, HDTP hasn't been installed right. Otherwise you should see some of the detail actually modelled on.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
AJCF
Mole Person

Post by AJCF »

Uhm, hi there, I've registered just to say that I can't play with the HDTP, well, I mean, I can but..let me explain it, basically the sound is basically really muffled and has a lot of noise :shock: The textures are fine, everything's fine but the sound is the one thing that's keeping me from playing the game with this pack, it's a shame :(

I tried to search for anyone with a similar problem as mine but to no avail, am I the first one to experience it? If it helps I'm running an original Deus Ex GOTY retail copy and it's my first time playing this game and thought of trying to make it look better :)

Oh and if it helps I'm on a laptop and using Vista HP ;)

Thanks in advance!
Pointman
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Pointman »

Not that I am any close to HDTP team, but I can assure you this: your problem has nothing to do with HDTP, since it's a _graphical_ overhaul and - for the love of sweet rollerskating Jesus - they did nothing to the sound packages.

Anyway - what's it like without HDTP? The sound, I mean?
pretending to be absent
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

OK - vista and deus ex AND laptop don't mix. I have that combo myself. It ended in tragedy.
Pointman
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Pointman »

So... I am one step away from the mayhem, it seems...
pretending to be absent
AJCF
Mole Person

Post by AJCF »

It runs perfectly without the HDTP : \
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

metche_steele wrote:OK - vista and deus ex AND laptop don't mix. I have that combo myself. It ended in tragedy.
It works just fine for me. I'm guessing the game speeds up and acts all crazy, sound included.

Here's what you do. After launching DX, go into the Task Manager, find and right-click on DeusEx.exe, select "Set Affinity..." and uncheck "CPU 1".

Also, Deus Ex hates Vista's transparency when its run in a window. If you're running DX in a window on Vista, once you start a game immediately hit [Esc], and click on "Save Game". The screen will blink out once as transparency in Aero is disabled, and the game will then run smoothly.

See? Painless :roll:
AJCF
Mole Person

Post by AJCF »

Master_Kale wrote:
metche_steele wrote:OK - vista and deus ex AND laptop don't mix. I have that combo myself. It ended in tragedy.
It works just fine for me. I'm guessing the game speeds up and acts all crazy, sound included.

Here's what you do. After launching DX, go into the Task Manager, find and right-click on DeusEx.exe, select "Set Affinity..." and uncheck "CPU 1".

Also, Deus Ex hates Vista's transparency when its run in a window. If you're running DX in a window on Vista, once you start a game immediately hit [Esc], and click on "Save Game". The screen will blink out once as transparency in Aero is disabled, and the game will then run smoothly.

See? Painless :roll:
Eh, thanks for the help but the game is not sped up in any way, the real problem is that the sound is all garbled :shock: Everything else is just fine
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

I find the sound garbles sometimes on any (original, mod, HDTP, whatever) incidence of DX.

Simply restart. If it's garbled again, restart again. I've NEVER had to do so more than 3 times.

Out of curiosity, what's your soundcard?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I used to get that problem in TNM and vanilla DX on my old hardware, where I had to restart 2-3 times to get the sound working. Then I took out my old Soundblaster 5.1 and switched to using the onboard sound on my new system board, and my troubles went away. Of course I also had to reinstall everything so that may have contributed to fixing it.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DDL

Post by DDL »

Soundblaster here, too. No idea which one of the SB series, but it's definitely a soundblaster.