Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
metche_steele
Illuminati

MJ12 Trooper

Post by metche_steele »

Please use this thread to crit the model (Phasmatis) and texture (Kadish).

New

Old
Sonic619
Thug

Post by Sonic619 »

My critique:

The XII on their helmet is a little bit jagged. Smooth it out?

And the face kind of seems like an older man compared to the original MJ12 model. Remove wrinkles?

The mouth is too short and thin. Make it bigger?

The nose shadowing is a bit different, but I can get past that.

Also, I don't know if it's the render or not, but looking from the side of the model, it leans back a bit.
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Sonic619 wrote:My critique:
The XII on their helmet is a little bit jagged. Smooth it out?
Its not jagged but its made up of lines I believe. I think thats dont for effect.
And the face kind of seems like an older man compared to the original MJ12 model. Remove wrinkles?
The effect was to make them look like battleworn soldiers.
The mouth is too short and thin. Make it bigger?
This can be rectified.
The nose shadowing is a bit different, but I can get past that.
Dude its a high def. model its not going to be an exact copy of the original ;)
Also, I don't know if it's the render or not, but looking from the side of the model, it leans back a bit.
I think this can be ignored - its not rigged/animated yet.

Thanks for your comments :)
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

I'm not 100% happy with the face, I have to say.

Yes, it could be because he appears to be leaning back, but the whole face looks vaguely like it's slanting backward, as if someone had squished it a bit.

I think (and it's been ages since I last drew a profile, so this could be all wrong) the entire face should come forward a bit, and the chin should be less jutting. Gah..I'm phrasing this really badly.

The chin needs to come forward a touch, I think, but the rest of the face needs to come forward even more...it's rare to see someone who's chin protrudes as much as his nose. Possibly the visor area needs to be shifted forward relative to the nose, too, so he doesn't look like he's got such recessed eyes.

Hmmm..I'll try and do an MS paint style doodle to illustrate my point..

*watch this space*
DDL

Post by DDL »

Not sure if this'll work...

Yay, it did!

My adjustments are (obviously) on the right: the neckline gives an idea of the shift: I pulled the face forward, rotated it down a bit to deemphasise the chin, and then pushed the visor forward a smidgen.

Anyway, that's my two cents. It looks fcking awesome anyway, so feel free to ignore me. :)
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

DDL wrote:Image

Not sure if this'll work...

Yay, it did!

My adjustments are (obviously) on the right: the neckline gives an idea of the shift: I pulled the face forward, rotated it down a bit to deemphasise the chin, and then pushed the visor forward a smidgen.

Anyway, that's my two cents. It looks fcking awesome anyway, so feel free to ignore me. :)
Jeez man what CANT you do lol :D

I totally agree with the head shape/slanting.

Kadish - is this ok?
_Alex_
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by _Alex_ »

Yeah Ill just whack the verts on the upper jaw out abit.

Two seconds work :P
Sonic619
Thug

Post by Sonic619 »

Yes! That's exactly it! Man, that MSPaint edit reflects exactly how it SHOULD look. Forgot everything else, you don't want someone who appears to be leaning on thin air.

Edit:

Notice the helmet on the new one and on the old one. The old one has a bit of a pointed corner on his helmet, while the new one is smooth.

(Look at the helmet area between the nose and the upper lip to see what I'm talking about)

Edit2: The back of the helmet on the new model is a bit lower than the original.
Last edited by Sonic619 on Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SpiderJerusalem
Mole Person

Post by SpiderJerusalem »

I think its a definate improvememt over the original. Kudos to the artist. I think the face looks great. I would maybe make it a bit younger as befitting a grunt but thats a small thing (to make him look battleworn, I would recommend some stubble or some such). Also the skin on the cloth bits of the guy looks awesome (great camo!). The biggest improvement is probably in the legs/feet. Those look great.

My only real complaint would be the skinning/modelling on the torso armor. The pectoral and abdominal sections of the armor actually look better on the original IMO. I liked the size of the stomach armor thing on the original. I also liked the squarish shape of the pectoral armor things on the original. Also, there appears to be too big of a gap between the shoulder armor and the pectoral armor. That is a small thing though. Overall, it looks way better now. Thanks and congrats.
Baron_Savvy
Mole Person

Post by Baron_Savvy »

I think it looks really good, a nice improvement in overall quality on the original. Though I do agree with what's been said about it slanting backwards a bit and I think making that amendment that DDL illustrated would be a good idea. I mean, I know almost nothing about programming so I don't know how much work I'm asking of you but I think it would be a good idea if you want him to look as good as possible.
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

I have to agree with the comments on the face. It generally needs to come forward. The texture looks superb though. :D

His back is arched as that's how I rig the model and I usually put the head forward. So it will look fine when he's rigged and animated.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
JC
NSF

Post by JC »

The first thing I thought was, whoa - shiny?!. I don't know if that's a good thing.

I would probably prefer it a lot darker and a little less shiney. Still good though.
Colej_uk
Mole Person

Post by Colej_uk »

Hello (first post- been following the mod for quite a while now though! Really excited by it, but thought I'd sign up to help with some feedback).

Amazing work I think!

Apart from whats already been said, other small things I'd like to add;

The skin should perhaps be a little more orangey and a little less pale (I think this would also fit the battle-worn soldier feel you were going for and keep with the original).

Also, I think it generally needs to be a touch darker. I know you probably want it a little brighter than the original to show off the awesome texture re-make you did! But I'd say keep it the same kind of brightness to fit in with the original.

But yeah, amazing work! Keep it up!
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

That's just Awesometastic! And that in the Unreal 1.0 Engine! FFS!

I agree with the critiques on the face, maybe a little less 'old man', more 'battle worn'. It might be achieved by changing the mouth a bit as was also suggested earlier.

I like the new helmet better, it makes the troopers look less like coneheads.
_Alex_
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by _Alex_ »

Sonic619 wrote:Yes! That's exactly it! Man, that MSPaint edit reflects exactly how it SHOULD look. Forgot everything else, you don't want someone who appears to be leaning on thin air.

Edit:

Notice the helmet on the new one and on the old one. The old one has a bit of a pointed corner on his helmet, while the new one is smooth.

(Look at the helmet area between the nose and the upper lip to see what I'm talking about)

Edit2: The back of the helmet on the new model is a bit lower than the original.

Had to chuckle at this one.

The reason the old one looks pointy is because there are more polies in the re-made face's upper lip than in the old MJ12 meshe's entire body ;P

Ok, maybe an exaggeration...but yeah, the old head was REALLY chunky.

Less polies = more sharp edges Ya dig? ;)