Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
deuxhero
UNATCO

Attack of the clones

Post by deuxhero »

hello there I would like to make a sugjustion for HDTP, my sugjustion is that it inculde a face system (you know like the ones in Goldeneye and Perfect Dark that would randomly pick a difirent face texture to slap on each gaurds face, makeing it so they where not all cloned) for generic npcs (such as UNATCO and MJ12 troops) it fits withn the mod and really EVERYONE hates fighting clones to some deegree
Darkshade
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Darkshade »

If you check out our project highlights, that's one of them. All major characters etc will have different meshes. However, it would be not only extremly time consuming, but would require reworking every map, to make every single person unique.
"Metaphore" is a bloody metaphore.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

I think he means to write a script that randomises which face to show out of several different skins so that enemies look different.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

SnipaMasta wrote:I think he means to write a script that randomises which face to show out of several different skins so that enemies look different.
I think so too, and I even like the idea, it doesn't seem a very large operation and doesn't influence the feel of the game, while being a cool addition I think.
Darkshade
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Darkshade »

I guess we should ask _Alex_ if he feels like a cakeload of more work. It sure would be awesome, though.

Although changes wouldn't have to be -too- extreme...
"Metaphore" is a bloody metaphore.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

This is already eminently possible with the current set up, but actually (ironically) gets more tricky under HDTP. In the original game the same meshes were used for many, many characters, AND the UV mapping for faces was pretty much identical across the meshes, too (so you can put, say, gary savage's face on gunther's mesh without it looking stretched incorrectly).

In HDTP, we're using far more unique meshes, plus I don't think we're attempting to keep the facial UV mapping consistent across meshes, either. So, yeah: it would probably necessitate someone making a variety of faces for each HDTP 'trooper' type mesh.

Which is possible, of course. Just..not fun, I suspect.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

The website wrote:For example each guard/trooper type will now have its own model instead of using the generic one.
So that would be a few faces per guard type? It is more work than I previously estimated then, but then again there are not many guard types (3 or 4?) and NSF is always wearing a mask anyway.

To keep things simple, you could just change some hair color, eye color and some scars here and there.

Consider it a 'could-have' :)
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

tbh i think its something we'd only implement (if decided upon) for the citizens - its not worth the hassle doing it to the troopers when their faces are mostly covered :)
James T
UNATCO

Post by James T »

DDL wrote:This is already eminently possible with the current set up, but actually (ironically) gets more tricky under HDTP. In the original game the same meshes were used for many, many characters, AND the UV mapping for faces was pretty much identical across the meshes, too (so you can put, say, gary savage's face on gunther's mesh without it looking stretched incorrectly).

In HDTP, we're using far more unique meshes, plus I don't think we're attempting to keep the facial UV mapping consistent across meshes, either. So, yeah: it would probably necessitate someone making a variety of faces for each HDTP 'trooper' type mesh.

Which is possible, of course. Just..not fun, I suspect.
I'm not usually one to propose a boatload of extra work for other people, but if it is indeed as simple as creating multiple textures, then it wouldn't be too hard, really; essentially, all you'd be doing is opening the texture in PS, selecting the trooper's skin, doing an H/S/L adjustment 'til they're the race of your choice, and saving it under a different name. Heck, you could farm that job to a bunch of us forumers. Even if it we (or, y'know, you) just made 'white guys' and 'black guys' for MJ12, UNATCO and the French police, it'd be a nice visual extra (I somehow doubt there'd be too many of either in the Chinese military, heh heh).

But! DDL! Would this require map editing (which I believe this mod doesn't want to touch, and fair enough), or would the engine distribute the skins randomly when you load the map? (or something like that). That could get a little funny if it repeats that randomness on return visits to maps... ("Golly, I could've sworn I knocked out a white guy outside the NSF base...")
"If all Americans want is security, they can go to prison." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
DDL

Post by DDL »

Nah, I'd code it into the pawn's startup code, so they enter play, set their skins, DONE.

And I'd transfer that across to the carcasses, too, so you don't get the odd sight of killing a black guy only to produce a white guy's corpse.

As for letting forumites do it..not sure Metch'd go for that. Re: altering ethnicity of pawns, it's a lot more complicated than just skin tones. For, say, asianified faces, you'd need to alter the eye slant, add epicanthic folds, tweak the cheekbone layout and eyebrow distribution, and so on. Oh, and the skin tone too :). Likewise making a white skin black would require suble alterations of nose and lips, and so on.

And let's be honest, if we're putting this much effort into the default models and textures, there's no way we'll go for half-assed skintone alterations of them. It'd have to be done properly.

Still, time permitting, maybe it will be.. :)
DDL

Post by DDL »

Also, if you ever feel like a laugh, try entering something like

set Terrorist carcasstype MaxChenCarcass

It makes for a much more colourful liberty island.
James T
UNATCO

Post by James T »

DDL wrote:As for letting forumites do it..not sure Metch'd go for that. Re: altering ethnicity of pawns, it's a lot more complicated than just skin tones. For, say, asianified faces, you'd need to alter the eye slant, add epicanthic folds, tweak the cheekbone layout and eyebrow distribution, and so on. Oh, and the skin tone too :). Likewise making a white skin black would require suble alterations of nose and lips, and so on.
I was thinking that -- but are the models of troopers and so on that high-poly? I was led to believe they were a bit cruder than, say, your Gunthers and Smugglers and so on (You are doing Smuggler, right? ;p ). Remains to be seen by we audience-members, I s'pose.
"If all Americans want is security, they can go to prison." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

The unatco and NSF troops it would be easy to do. All that's visible is their hands (you'll have to retexture all visible skin, not just the faces!), upper face, and eyes. It would get harder with the civilian NPCs, however I've always though the civie npc's were diverse enough as they are.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Wow! Just like in Medieval 2 :D Only we'll actually get it right for a change :P
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

The whole point with the NSF, UNATCO, and MJ12 troopers wearing masks, helmets, and visors is that it won't matter if all their faces are the same.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine