Assault Rifle Design (Poll disappeared!)

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.

Original or other?

Original?
76%
Alex's concept?
12%
Real weapon?
12%

Total votes: 17
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

And CP, this argument you're having is just reinforcing my belief that it's best to go with the original for lack of controversy, if nothing else.
And yet someone would still complain outside of the team anyway. Do what you must, but seriously consider Improving this really really ugly looking weapon.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

In my opinion, this thread is devolving into a flame war. And my opinion matters, because I'm an admin around these parts. So guys... relax. Chill. Grab a coke. Take a walk. If this keeps up, I'm closing the thread.

Personally, I think we should shelve this argument until Metche is back. Making decisions like this is what a leader is good for.

And Thales, you are correct. Phas has done almost all of our modelling and all our animations. And just to be clear, he worked on TNM before he joined HDTP ;)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Jonas wrote:Personally, I think we should shelve this argument until Metche is back. Making decisions like this is what a leader is good for.
While I don't think this thread has evolved into a flamewar (yet), I still think this is a good idea. So I'll stop posting in this thread for a few weeks :)
ZylonBane
UNATCO

Post by ZylonBane »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:LOOK AROUND YOU! WE'RE NOT LIVING IN MODERNISM ANYMORE! OBVIOUSLY WE LIVE IN THE POST-MODERNIST WORLD. Academically Speeking that is. Maybe that's whats confusing you.

Semiotic wise we're giving off the message of the roles that Characters play, weapons play roles as well. The weapons should represent these roles, and this is for lack of a better word and assault rifle. It should look and sound like what it was designed for. So what is it? Are we artists (here to stylize) or Industrial Designers (here to rationalize functionality with style)?
Well, at this point I'm just thinking you're a loony.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Close It, we'll bring this up later in the private area when metche is back.
bazooka
Mole Person

Post by bazooka »

Please just use original concepts when possible. :(
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Ok, Lofa is in charge of the team while Metche is away and what a thread to starting leading the team with. :S

Personally I think we shouldn't alter the gun. I know the pistol was altered but there was so little detail on the pistol so not a lot could be taken from it and since the original model was called "glock" we decided to make it a glock. The only major difference is the amount of shine on the guns, the shine on the original made the slide look more rounded where as ours is more like the real glock slide.

So my opinion is not to change the assault rifle.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
James T
UNATCO

Post by James T »

I think Alex's is great:

Maybe with a bit of nudging of elements to make it similar in layout to the oldie, there need be no argument; it's already very close.

The old one is an impractical design, but of course, HDTP should strive for preservation; I think Alex's preliminary design here is a perfect compromise. The reason for the DX AR's compactness appears to be so that it would fit into a four-square inventory box, and nothing else. But hey -- maybe the in-game models of the gun could have an extendible stock, shown retracted in the inventory image? (that's if you're even touching inventory images...). It'd give the user something to brace their shoulder/arm against, while preserving much of the in-game impression of the gun.
"If all Americans want is security, they can go to prison." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
ThalesA7X
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by ThalesA7X »

Jonas wrote:And just to be clear, he worked on TNM before he joined HDTP ;)
Thought so. ;) Maybe I should check out TNM sometime. Since I have never even looked at what it is. XD
Solid_Choke
UNATCO

Post by Solid_Choke »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:was the caliber 5.56mm or 7something mm. Cause i think we'll need a bigger clip lol :D
In DX the AR uses the 7.62mm NATO
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

ThalesA7X wrote:
Thought so. ;) Maybe I should check out TNM sometime. Since I have never even looked at what it is. XD
HERETIC!
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
ThalesA7X
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by ThalesA7X »

Trestkon wrote:
ThalesA7X wrote:
HERETIC!
Haha! I knew that when I was seeing who the last person to post was, your post would be directed toward me.

Just to clarify: I check your news almost daily because I want to keep up with TNM. I am actually really excited about it. :P I have known about TNM longer than I have HDTP.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

ThalesA7X wrote:
Trestkon wrote:
ThalesA7X wrote:
HERETIC!
Haha! I knew that when I was seeing who the last person to post was, your post would be directed toward me.

Just to clarify: I check your news almost daily because I want to keep up with TNM. I am actually really excited about it. :P I have known about TNM longer than I have HDTP.
*lowers his Accusingly Pointing Finger of Doom*
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

(ok I kinda skiped a lot of people to get my voice out fast one this one.)

Here is the deal

Ion storm has proven that they are not the best at thinking up ideas for guns at all. (proven in IW) But Guns ant that hard to make (I have done it, it takes about 2 days to lern with milkshape) Keep the old gun and if someone wonts to make a mod that changes the weapon latter thats fine.

One thing I would like to point out is that changing this gun a little bit to soot everyones needs seems poinless. The only reson I don't like this gun is because its not real. There is no gun that looks like this in real life and never will be. I think if someone wonted to make a mod that changed JUST the weapons it should be based off of its real life counter part.

The MP5.

BTW: I see _Alex_ is working on simon already. Boy you guys are fast.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

The MP5 isn't appropriate for this design, hence why we picked the Tavor and FAMAS as closer to the original model.
One thing I would like to point out is that changing this gun a little bit to soot everyones needs seems poinless
Unfortunately thats how the project operates, we have to compromise to what the demographic wants otherwise people won't support it. I think there is a middle somewhere in which we can make everyone happy.

SnipaMaster has changed the design of the Stealth Pistol before, it was a massive improvement over the original and it still maintained the original design. I think that using the elements that we've discussed we can probably achieve a successful compromise if we follow that similar success.