The Nameless End: The Nameless Mod Spinoff

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
ikaricrime
Thug

The Nameless End: The Nameless Mod Spinoff

Post by ikaricrime »

So I've decided to take the chance to make my own mod following up The Nameless Mod titled The Nameless End!

Planet Deus Ex - Forum City

Trestkon leds new recruits to the world of Forum City. The Slums is no more due to the balance Trestkon has created and the Corparate district is empty, due to the lack of demand of business in Deus Ex Forum city. Everyone has disconnected and relocated somewhere else however forum city later becomes a tourist attraction for new and former visitors alike.

Some of the elements have been moved and reconstructed in Forum City, for example DXEditting has been relocated to Forum City.

Dark Matter

The Dark Barrier that divides the world from imagination of the world to the outside world. The player will evenfully find this out. Trestkon having known along and finding out after the events of The Nameless Mod, it's something the player must find out for himself!

What's beyond the barriers of Dark Matter. I think it's an appropriate concept because being a gamer from the 90s, it's that imagination everyone had during the early 90s and before social networks became popular after 2004 (after then the mod is set), people became satified with stuff liek Youtube and Facebook! People began to question it. Also the recession that hit many retailers, companies and even online organizations and people want out of this idea of the VR world.

It allows the player to question what the reason why forum city exsited in the first place and what the modders got out of it, towards the end. It leds to another question...

The Avatar

The Avatar is the strongest concept in this mod and The Nameless Mod, the player will learn what the meaning behind the avatars and why it was used in the mod.

This gets bought up in Forum City and why people are here, people then question why the software (the nameless mod) existed and what they're doing there! People in Forum City start blaming the leader Trestkon, however in this own time, Trestkon quickly discovers what going on to ensure the people are happy and explains to them what he found out.

Edit: References on the Matrix (as the directors were a bunch of anime fanboys), Japanese Anime are included which represent the avatar which have been bought over to America and into forum mod and this mod! A nightclub of Anime and Japanphiles gets openned up in forum city, where a person who knows alot about the Avatar and it's meaning is located at this location.

The SDK

The entire story of the SDK is bought up, because while the SDK was used to make Deus Ex, no one ever dreamed about what the Nameless Mod did. The SDK has never ween to waste, other then all the Deus Ex Multiplayer Maps and mini mods created!

Some intel in the game will explain how the SDK was used by Epic to make there games and improvements to stand in the industry we all know and love today!

It's reasonable because without the UnrealEd for all games, not just UnrealEd in Unreal Tournament but all the other games they licensed there engine too and made money off from, it allowed Epic to get feedback regarding their problems on their engine, which helpped them improved, aswell as what the community was doing. This allowed Epic to make the UDK. This is important because it's a sign that the community was being watched, almost like a conspiracy if you will. This is the conslucion what the mod and why it exsits!

Even so, the mod popularity allowed Deus Ex to be installed again by millions of players who installed the game. Think about it... if Deus Ex got sold millions of copies and people still promote the game on places like Steam and people are still playing it, it contributed to the success of this mod, aswell as the hardwork the modders have put into it.

Gamespy Shutting down

It's true, Gamespy shut down news story: http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/articles/122/1227460p1.html

It finally happened. Maybe Gamespy Space Station was destoryed however this was only one node, all the other planet's didn't really care so much about their space station which ran them. What will happen to all the values PlanetDeusEx and Forum City

Leader Trestkon talks about IGN and Ziff Davis and how they run Gamespy after researching and putting it into context

Gamespy and IGN gathered up the free software which was released by Epic, such as the SDK and modders alike and hosted them on there network, this allowed them to gather up views and other statistics.

After Forum City was relocated (in the form of a mod) to off topic productions, the UDK power has almost overpowered this mod and others alike, to where off topic productions doesn't hold up.

This is taken as a sign and the player has a choice to act now. The world caves the players in, which is hazardless to the player, due to the size of the other spaces of the internet.

Fully Kitted up!

You (the player) know everything about the SDK, Unreal Engine 1, how it adepts onto the UDK, Deus Ex, It's community, and so forth.

Reaching his last days as Leader of the ever disappearing Forum City, Treskton gives the player information on what can be done, whom the player becomes a modder in the process, Treskton gives a choices for the player. The player can stay in de-ressed Forum City and thrown into moddb.com, accept the loss and walk way or take the files, documentation and experence and use them in Unreal Development Kit (the UDK) for the future.

With no or little choice, Forum city was only a place in the imaginations of people that enjoyed what Deus Ex, the SDK and it's community offered and it up to the player to decide there own fate.

Endings

- Walk away, leave Forum City behind and continue with their own life, away from mods
- Take the files and experience and use that knowledge on the UDK and go Indie
- Get de-resed in Forum City and get left behind and used by moddb.com wasteland own by the moddb.com masterminds

Unplugged!

Ending of the mod, Admit it, there was going to be an end to this trend and with UDK out and Indie support, next generation of hackers, mods were beginning to be no more!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: The Nameless End: The Nameless Mod Spinoff

Post by Jonas »

Wow, well that all sounds super interesting, but I don't really understand what you're planning to do.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

Jonas wrote:Wow, well that all sounds super interesting, but I don't really understand what you're planning to do.
No offense but one could easily say the same thing about TNM, at least story-wise. :smile:
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

The Nameless Mod grew from a pretty small project. This guy here basically wants to make a full sequel? Well, good luck with that.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

kdawg88 wrote:No offense but one could easily say the same thing about TNM, at least story-wise. :smile:
No because TNM is already completed, so we're not planning to do anything ;)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
ikaricrime
Thug

Post by ikaricrime »

Jonas wrote:Wow, well that all sounds super interesting, but I don't really understand what you're planning to do.
Oh, wow thanks Jonas!

My plan is to make a concept mock up first in the Deus Ex engine. I will write up a quick script which underlines everything and put that into the UnrealEd and then release it. This model works and it's proven to work because MMOs in the past which have spring up do this by releasing an unpolished MMO and with people/users go into the message boards complaining about this.

I can post here to see how people would say about the story and mock up. I'm saying this because people are entitled to know about this and be prepared for it when I do and get it under raps.

Potential UnrealEd tutorial Guides will be produced during the process of the making of this mod, for the reason that with the UDK release, people assume that UDK stands on it's own but it doesn't and I discovered that some UnrealEd experience benefits the UDK released by Epic. I've taken the time to take a look into it myself and discovered this. This will also attract new modders to work with the Deus Ex UnrealEd (and I believe it would, so it's worth the try) and give modding a try and take that experience with them.

I've written up game guides for GameFAQs, so I am capable of doing that too and pass that down to people that are interested in writing up guides! The guides are more important into attract new viewers and modders to get them to experience what it's like modding. That I'm still working on!

I did, I mapped for TNM and even released a map, which I believed sparked a company to act on making a game and the experience I had seeing it's release, that I want to past down!

So to summarize, I will produce a mock up of the concept first and release it to see what people say because no one including myself would know the finish outcome. That's something I learnt when I mapped for the TNM, even I didn't see the finish outcome myself until it's release.

and I've taken on board the rest of the comments already posted in this thread aswell.
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

I did, I mapped for TNM and even released a map, which I believed sparked a company to act on making a game and the experience I had seeing it's release, that I want to past down!
What are you talking about? The Conquistador thing?
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Jonas wrote:No because TNM is already completed, so we're not planning to do anything ;)
So no more 1.05 patch thingy? ;) (but yeah I know what you meant)
ikaricrime
Thug

Post by ikaricrime »

So far, all the stories here are fan fiction. That's what's is called, fan fiction. It's really tough for me to even reconstruct a map at the moment because the way the Nameless mod is sew together. Will my heart be in this because having worked on this mod and seeing how it came out. It really hits me that it's put itself in the position of high production values yet almost little meaning to anyone. That's why users would enter the forums and say 'I didn't like it at first but it's grown on me'. I think it's because of the production value the team provided on the mod..
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Am I the only one having trouble parsing the meaning of the above post?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

No you are not.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Onemaster
NSF

Post by Onemaster »

Wow, this sounds really intriguing but at the same time odd too.
And ikaricrime's last post confuses me also. Huh. :-k
I wish there was something more I could say.
ikaricrime
Thug

Post by ikaricrime »

I just want to let you guys know, that I'm still working on a "proof of concept" and it is take some time. Just to get the basic run though up and running and I've seen to added a bit more depth in the story!

There a few new maps that I'm creating. It may sound crazy but it's only because I've been working on the Unreal Engine for a years in my spare time and I may aswell go all out and put it somewhere, that's why I'm doing this. I know how to link maps together and etc. That's why it's taking some time and I believe it's going to be time well spent.